Exclamation is there a difference between a 3 way mixing valve and a diverting valve

anyone know if i can use a 3 way mixing valve as a diverting valve by piping it in backward, i know it is not the right way to do it, but i was told it would work. and that mixing valve is the same as diverting valve, just matter of how u pipe it in. correct me if i'm wrong, please help me out!
    Edit/Delete Message

On some it matters and on some it don't. The direction of flow over the valve seat is the difference. If it's a small valve it probably doesn't make much difference.

Diverting valve-two ways out one way in.

Mixing valve-two ways in one way out.

Why take a chance,get the correct valve.
    I love overtime I just hate working for it.

The configuration and sizing of the valve will tell the story, BUT on SOME manufacturers lines, they only sell one valve. For example, honeywell only uses one valve body for either application on valves up to 1 1/2" in many cases, unless it is a specialty application. Consult your local controls supplier for your particular application.

As others said speak with the manufacturer. I can tell you from experience that if you send flow backwards through certain types of valves that the valves will "sing" when trying to close. The valve will be trying to close with the flow instead of against the flow.
    Learning is a lifelong process

Most of the valves I've used over the last 10 years or so are ball valves. They don't have the problems that used to occur when a mixing valve was used in a diverting application. You could get valve chatter. The old cast bronze diverters had two seats and two discs.
    The ball design seems to have solved the problem. They are way cheaper too.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

Many are made to flow both ways now, especially in the smaller sizes.

about the valve

i was told by my boss, there is a different of how the valve operate, and yes a diverting valve has 1 in and 2 out, and mixing valve is 2 in and 1 out. oh by the way i put that valve in after i got the right one (diverting valve) and it weight about 120+ pound, it aint no small valve. and it is not the ball valve type. i was told the difference might be when it is in one position, water might leak by and it wont seat properly, because it use 2 disc, this is for a domestic hot water system for county job. and i agree with sirjames, why take a chance. and i have seen valve do what geno54 said because it was install backward. also why make 2 different valve (diverting and mixing) if it doesnt matter how it flow, right!

It doesn't matter if it's a ball valve. It does matter if it's a dual seat/disc valve (diverter) or a single seat/disc valve (mixing).
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck