Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
    I've posted a couple of threads about a problem with an old unit. The breaker was getting hot. Well, today the AC men came here adn said it was a serious fire hazzard. He replaced the "disconnect at condenser" fried & broken. Tonight I noticed the breaker was still getting hot...! ?????We are having a new unit put in, but it will be 2 weeks. Is it now safe to run, or do I need to call the AC men back? Thank You all for your responses about, " could this cause a fire". Now thqt the breaker is still hot, can it cause a fire (again)??? Lindy Oh, almost forgot, for one month I've been sick: nausea, head-aches. Even went to a dr about the head-aches & nausea. Today when the AC men were here, found out the pilot was out & the house was filled with carbon monoxide! My life keeps being spared for some reason... Lindy
    Carbon Monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion. Your Headache is from your husband I know because my wife says I am the reason for her headache

Your AC guy Doesn't sound to bright from your post how did he determine your house was full of CO?

also the breaker itself could be bad have someone that knows what they are doing inspect it

Today when the AC men were here, found out the pilot was out & the house was filled with carbon monoxide! My life keeps being spared for some reason... Lindy
    If the house were "filled with carbon monoxide", you'd be dead.

Since you're not dead, the house was not filled with carbon monoxide.

OK?

Oh, almost forgot, for one month I've been sick: nausea, head-aches. Even went to a dr about the head-aches & nausea. Today when the AC men were here, found out the pilot was out & the house was filled with carbon monoxide! My life keeps being spared for some reason... Lindy
    A pilot light being out won't cause your house to get carbon monoxide in it, if there really is carbon monoxide in your house the source needs to be found and eliminated.

Not a millivolt system- gas leak...

The heater is 33 years old & is not a millivolt system. Yes, gas was leaking, but the AC men manually turned a valve off. The house was full of carbon monoxide. We opened all the windows & doors to air the house out. Also, after they replaced the "disconnect at condenser", the breaker is still getting hot??? We just need a complete new unit... Lindy

The house was full of carbon monoxide.
    Get a CO (carbon monoxide) detector.

See Post #16.

I give up.

The heater is 33 years old & is not a millivolt system. Yes, gas was leaking, but the AC men manually turned a valve off. The house was full of carbon monoxide. We opened all the windows & doors to air the house out. Also, after they replaced the "disconnect at condenser", the breaker is still getting hot??? We just need a complete new unit... Lindy

Hmmmmmmmmmm.........

You could get a complete new unit installed and still have a hot breaker.

The breaker itself should be looked at by an electrician. If he tells you to replace it, let him do it.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

PS...a pilot light blown out will NOT fill your house full of carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of incomplete combustion. If the pilot is out, it is not combusting. A 33 year old furnace is younger than I am, and I know furnaces had safety thermocouples in them when I was fourteen years old.

Nevertheless, a 33 year old furnace is likely done for. Just remember, whatever you do, have that breaker checked by an electrician.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

The CO could not have come from the unit with the pilot light out.

If your house was full of CO, you wouldn't be posting about it.

What everybody is trying to say your house was maybe filled with gas which will not kill you unless you light a match and then your house would blow up and the rest would burn then while your house is burning it would be full of carbon monoxide

like I said in my earlier post Carbon Monoxide is created from incomplete combustion

If the guy working at your house did not know how to explain this to you THATS SCARY Its really basic common knowledge for us HVAC/R guys

Your happy Fire-Fighter here again.

If your house was filled with CO, you would not be talking to us right now.

As stated before, CO forms with incomplete combustion, not a pilot light which is out.

Homes can have higher than average CO levels, and it can cause some issues, but it has to be around 35+ PPM

BTW.... We are required to put on our masks if the CO levels are over 35+ in my department.

A CO detector is not a bad idea, and could save your life, along with a PHOTOELECTRIC Smoke Detector.

If the breaker is still hot, then get the tech back, or get an electrician there ASAP!!! A new unit could still cause a "Hot Breaker" and since this last tech told you that the CO is from the pilot light, DON'T TRUST HIM!!

Make sure the wiring and breakers are all up to par at first.

Electrical fires can smolder for hours, so get this looked at ASAP, and pick up a Photoelectric, or a Dual Sensor Smoke Detector.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12