Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question can AC cause a FIRE?

I wrote a thread earlier today about the 33 year old AC & ht system. For the past month the cold air would quickly change to warm air. I turned off the AC, reset the breaker- then turned it back on. Today for some reason I put my hand on the breaker & it was HOT! Can this cause a fire? husband is intoxicated tonight & he keeps turning the AC back on. He has NO COMPREHENSION tonight. I have bids from 2 companies: #1 bid- Trane 16 sear, all new duck work@ Removed Pricing. Bid #2 @ Carrier Infinity, sear? @ Removed Pricing. Whaqt in the world am I to do? Which one? Is it safe to run the air all night tonight? Please respond... Lindy

Lindy,

Please read the rules before posting further
    Last edited by HeyBob; 07-06-2009 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
    Today for some reason I put my hand on the breaker & it was HOT! Can this cause a fire?
    Yes.

Is it safe to run the air all night tonight?
    No.

sorry, i just didn't think & I'm so worried now... Lindy

hope you have working smoke detectors in your home..

If your a/c is tripping the breaker and its getting very hot, dont use it..

pull the disconect on the unit when he's not looking.

well lindy I have been on two calls where a fire has started in the air-handler caused by aluminum wiring wire-nutted with copper. When two metals are put together they set up a reaction called electrolysis which causes corrosion. This causes the junction to heat which is a major cause of electrical fires!
    this will cause your breaker to get hot, resistance causes heat to much heat and here comes fire the fix for this problem is kearnys (split bolt connectors) I dont know if this is your problem but its a place to start.

And from a technicians point of view I would definite go with the infinity by carrier, or the evolution from bryant they are the same thing this system is awesome. It is super quite the evap coil is tin plated and has a 10 year warranty they are very efficient and it diagnoses itself if there were a problem thats just my honest opinion

hope this helped

As a Part Time A/C Tech, and Volunteer Fire-Fighter, I can answer a few of these:

Today for some reason I put my hand on the breaker & it was HOT! Can this cause a fire?
    YEP

hope you have working smoke detectors in your home
    Working PHOTOELECTRIC Smoke Detectors. The common Ionization are all but useless during a smoldering or "Cold Smoke" Fire.

well lindy I have been on two calls where a fire has started in the air-handler caused by aluminum wiring wire-nutted with copper. When two metals are put together they set up a reaction called electrolysis which causes corrosion. This causes the junction to heat which is a major cause of electrical fires!
    this will cause your breaker to get hot, resistance causes heat to much heat and here comes fire the fix for this problem is kearnys (split bolt connectors) I dont know if this is your problem but its a place to start.
    Could not have said that better myself. If the breaker ever trips in an HVAC system, and it was not somethig stupid or obvious, DO NOT RESET IT AND CONTINUE TO USE THE EQUIPMENT WITHOUT CALLING A PRO OUT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
    husband is intoxicated tonight & he keeps turning the AC back on. He has NO COMPREHENSION tonight.
    Not good.

When he wakes from his stupor, have him put in a couple of window units to keep you cool while you get competitive bids for a new system.

Don't rush a major purchase.

Good luck.

Yes it can cause a fire. If there is an ouside disconnect, pull it. He'll never find it.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

About AC causing Fire Last Night!

I've posted a couple of threads about a problem with an old unit. The breaker was getting hot. Well, today the AC men came here adn said it was a serious fire hazzard. He replaced the "disconnect at condenser" fried & broken. Tonight I noticed the breaker was still getting hot...! ?????We are having a new unit put in, but it will be 2 weeks. Is it now safe to run, or do I need to call the AC men back? Thank You all for your responses about, " could this cause a fire". Now thqt the breaker is still hot, can it cause a fire (again)??? Lindy

Oh, almost forgot, for one month I've been sick: nausea, head-aches. Even went to a dr about the head-aches & nausea. Today when the AC men were here, found out the pilot was out & the house was filled with carbon monoxide! My life keeps being spared for some reason... Lindy

Confused About AC causing Fire Last Night!

I've posted a couple of threads about a problem with an old unit. The breaker was getting hot. Well, today the AC men came here adn said it was a serious fire hazzard. He replaced the "disconnect at condenser" fried & broken. Tonight I noticed the breaker was still getting hot...! ?????We are having a new unit put in, but it will be 2 weeks. Is it now safe to run, or do I need to call the AC men back? Thank You all for your responses about, " could this cause a fire". Now thqt the breaker is still hot, can it cause a fire (again)??? Lindy Oh, almost forgot, for one month I've been sick: nausea, head-aches. Even went to a dr about the head-aches & nausea. Today when the AC men were here, found out the pilot was out & the house was filled with carbon monoxide! My life keeps being spared for some reason... Lindy

If the breaker is hot, you have a problem. A standard breaker will not get hot under normal conditions. So yes, please have the AC guys take a look at it and find the real problem.

If your pilot light is out, provided this is a millivolt system, the gas valve will shut off gas to your furnace. It will not produce CO, since there is no burner operation.
    Hvac Maniac

"A negative attitude cancels out positive skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast