Question 7 RECESSION PROOF JOBS

This on MSN home page, HVAC technician listed as No 5, what grabs me is the Online training, Have any of you taken the HVAC training on line?
    how efective is it !! ,I mean most of us come out green after 8 months of real HVAC schooling, I still have to work alonside some one whose training was Online internet school.

hehe... or those of us who never had Ofishal (official) schooling! LOL
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

I got a couple of certifications (410a, and some other technition) through Mainstream Enineering. I printed all of the study book and took both certs back to back in about 30 minutes.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Quote Originally Posted by John Culpepper View Post
    I got a couple of certifications (410a, and some other technition) through Mainstream Enineering. I printed all of the study book and took both certs back to back in about 30 minutes.
    I meant HVAC school!
    I got 410a twice i think... 2 different companies...
    NBI air balancing..... Trane classes and Carrier classes..... and a few others I either cant remember... or dont want to remember!
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

sure, take all the online classes you want.

you're still going to be lacking hands on experience. about the only thing you can read is "theory", and "theory" doesn't always happen in the field

i graduated from college into this field and have years lol of experience and i still have to read online and do training. this isn't something your going to learn in a year and be set for life.

aside from the mental challenge, there is a pretty good physical challenge to this job as well
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

I started in the field working for a local company and then attended the local tech college resulting in a 2yr degree in Climate Control Technologies, the first year was oriented towards residential heating and cooling, wiring, controls, soldering, brazing, PSYCHOmetrics, the second yr touched on Large commercial units but more detailed in commercial refrigeration, duct design and labs. The instructors had designed labs requiring you to go to one of about 30 units as though you were on a service call and correct the problems. You would then go back and brief the instructor as though he was the HO. Monthly they conducted tests for grades structured the same way. We were tested on evreything from window shaker, heat pumps, residential furnace and ac , roof top units with economizer and the last quarter was dedicated to digital controls (they were just developing the controls section. We also covered residential and commercial boilers systems, chillers, commercial controls systems, etc. Left the school with Universal EPA, Class 1 boilers liscense, 410 certification and asscoiate of applied science climate control technolgy. I still visit the school frequently because I have found it is a easy way to stay up on changes and new technology ( good place to screen future employees as well)--The internet is great for this as well-- I have taken several seminars expecially in the controls area because I do believe the future (money) is in the controls field. But as pointed out, online is not a replacement for hands on training, try connecting with local school and audit there classes. I will never forget why I flunked the first lab test, charging a residential cooling unit, I did everything perfect until the instructor asked are you finished ( he would ask questions and tell me to proceed tothe next step to conserve time) I answered yes, he said ok pick up your tools and don't tell the next student what the test is about. I asked well how did i do--he said you failed--why i asked--he said you failed to put the acorn caps back on schrader vales tightly and you didnt mark you recovery tank with type of refrigerate it contains. He remarked it is the small details in this business that will bite ya! That is the value in hands on experience to me!
    Learn the process not the procedure--the process will dictate the procedure-If ya understand how it works ya knows how to fix it!