Radiant vs Forced Air Heat / then ERV and A/C?

Hybrid View

Radiant vs Forced Air Heat / then ERV and A/C?

We've lived in a year-round cabin in Minnesota and have heated w/ a wood stove for 20+ years. We are removing the roof and adding a 2nd story and want to add a furnce or boiler and have less exercise (less carrying wood).

A development came near us and I harvested the trees before they bulldozed them and had tongue-and-groove flooring made from those trees and will have hardwood flooring.

We think radiant heat sounds great.
    IF we do that, I still want to plan for A/C and ERV ...

I've been reading about High Velocity units and am wondering about using that for a/c.

Q: we have limited $ and are still debating radiant, since we'll do some form of duct work. But the warm floors seem so so so nice. Any feed back here?

Q: can an ERV use the Hi-V system for air circulation?

Q: How do I find someone in the south Minneapolis area that I can trust with this train of thought?

I've asked a few companies about my laying the radiant tubing and having them do all the work from the manifods to the boiler, etc. This is to save money. I'm trying to balance dreams with resources. Those two companies said "no". So, I wonder if I'm heading the right way and how best to get there. Thanks

Just to show how "up in the air" or "wishy washy" I am:

1) I'd love radiant - but I think it will add up to close to the same $ as geo thermal, which is supposed to save $ for the long haul, so I'm tempted there

3) I have liked the idea of radiant enough so that I've ignored standard furnace systems.

The few companies I've talked with each have there own bias - which does not help my confusion.

If your looking at doing Radiant heat you might want to have a talk with your Plumber and see what he can do for you in that regard. IMO radiant heat is best used with tile floors where the tile will help in retaining heat better than wood floors ever would, it basically is giving you more heat by using tile over wood as the tile asbords the heat which will allow you to in essencse keep the stat at a lower setting.

If you never been in a home that uses radiant heat, you might want to investigate it and find a home that does use it along with both tile and wood floors where you would be able to experience the difference's between the two types of floors, My money is you would pick having tile floors once you have seen felt the difference between the 2.

As for ERV's there several types of fresh air ventilation systems on the market today, There's one company based out of Florida, can't remember the name but I had a long discussion with the owner about 6 months ago, he's a great guy to talk to and very knowledgeable in the field of fresh air ventilation.

I agree with Dan that radiant is most beneficial on tile areas like the Kitchen and bath. It is often used under wood floors but you won't notice as much difference from baseboards. It is really a waste in areas of carpet.

I am going to talk about a heating system separate from the ac.

I like a combination of radiant and baseboard. The boiler is easy to set up with that combo plus give you hot water and zoning. I don't think geo would save over an efficient boiler system.
    If you build the new area very well insulated, and having a warm space below, hot water baseboard convectors from a boiler would be very comfortable if you want wood floors. I would personally prefer that to any hot air heat.

The advantage of baseboard hot water heat is quick recovery so you can save with set back thermostats. That allows the boiler to cool down.
    With radiant you leave the thermostat at the same temp because it is very slow and inefficient to come back up after cooling down. Radiant systems are more often poorly designed and cost more.

Remember, the more efficient the building, the less heat you need, making the payback on a more complex and more expensive system much higher.
    Last edited by KevinCorr; 07-07-2009 at 04:40 AM.