Thread: forced air or radiant heat?

Post Likes

forced air or radiant heat?

which do you like the best?

Post Likes
    The only people that like forced air are those that have never lived in a properly done radiant heated home.

Post Likes
    ^ I agree.

Plus with the radiant you can put the tubing on the floor, the walls or the ceiling and it works, I still can't figure out whether the returns go up high or down low on a forced air system to make it work .

You're going to pay for that additional comfort though, I found that using child labor made it more affordable when I installed mine.

Ed J

Post Likes
    Forced air is superior; two stage and modulating furnaces can heat as evenly as radiant systems at a lower cost. (Radiant also rules out the use of heatpumps and programmable t-stats)

Why take the VAC out of HVAC?

Post Likes
    Geothermal heatpumps generate enough hot water for raidiant systems and are an option with most makes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Forced air is superior; two stage and modulating furnaces can heat as evenly as radiant systems at a lower cost. (Radiant also rules out the use of heatpumps and programmable t-stats)

^^Agree....

Post Likes
    Just because a home has radiant heat.
    Doen't mean it doesn't have a vent system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Just because a home has radiant heat.
    Doen't mean it doesn't have a vent system.
    I doubt that many people would be willing to pay for two distrubution systems. (One dedicated to cooling/ventilation)

Post Likes
    Lot of houses with radiant heat have central cooling systems.

You don't really think that radiant heat only goes into homes that don't need cooling do you.

Also, an ERV/HRV is common in homes with radiant heat.

Post Likes
    There are mostly baseboard hotwater/seperate ac systems up here in the north. While i agree it would be cheaper for a HA/AC system, alot of people dont like HA. I have HA, and think its fine though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post

i have installed a few radiant systems that use a hot water coil for second stage. imo the only way to get a close comparison would be to use high velosity. and with this as your second stage you can use a programable t stat. a friend of mine just read an article that said radiant is in-efficiant. i am not sure how but i am looking for it now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in