Any benefits in going with R22 at this point

Are there any benefits in going with R22 systems at this point? The unit is a Trane 14i heat pump. The air handler is going to be installed in a second story attic. The lineset will not be replaced (flushed). One of my main concerns is the cost of R22 going up. Trane gives a pretty decent warranty, but it does not cover refrigerant costs. The other downside to an R22 system is that there is an option to replace just the condenser in the future if I go 410a. This shouldn't be that much of a concern though. By the time the warranty runs out, the air handler will need to be replaced. There are situations, however, where the whole condenser would need to be replaced (hurricane damage, etc.).

Are you guys still installing a lot of R22 systems? I just wanted to see what the pluses and minuses are.

If your system gets put in by a competent installer R410 has no disadvantages over R22.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

R-22 systems can be installed until 2010. R-22 refigerent will still be produced until 2020 for existing systems. The price of r-22 will increase some but after 2020 a large price increase will be expected because the only r-22 refrigerent will be reclaimed. This is refrigerent that has been recycled and brought back to a like new grade.

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    If your system gets put in by a competent installer R410 has no disadvantages over R22.
    i dis-agree....410A is a mixture of different refrigerants...so if/when you have a leak you dont know which refrigerant was the one that leaked out first...so you have to evacuate the system and put new 410A refrigerant back in the system...that one dis-advantage also 410A has alot higher pressure than that of R22... R22 systems will still be installed until 2010 then will be phased out...but the refrigerant will still be around...for awhile at least....

DPeoples Do you not evac and repair all leaks anyways ? read your awnser again every leak needs to be repaired to repair you need to evac and re braise the leak so what does it matter what leaked.... Puron R-410 is way better option to 22 at this time (think about the future)

basically the only advantages to putting in r22 systems now is the low cost of replacement at this time, compared to replacing the whole system with 410.. i guess based on the customers' budget.. we dont even install r22 systems anymore for new installs.. why do it?

only for repairs, i've been asked to just go with r22 condensing unit because the air handler is still in great shape..

Quote Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
    Are there any benefits in going with R22 systems at this point? The unit is a Trane 14i heat pump. The air handler is going to be installed in a second story attic. The lineset will not be replaced (flushed). One of my main concerns is the cost of R22 going up. Trane gives a pretty decent warranty, but it does not cover refrigerant costs. The other downside to an R22 system is that there is an option to replace just the condenser in the future if I go 410a. This shouldn't be that much of a concern though. By the time the warranty runs out, the air handler will need to be replaced. There are situations, however, where the whole condenser would need to be replaced (hurricane damage, etc.).

Are you guys still installing a lot of R22 systems? I just wanted to see what the pluses and minuses are.
    tranes optional extended warranty pays for refrigerant. it pays the contractor for everything "within the panels" and the thermostat

is this an existing 14i?

cause the 14i isn't made anymore, and has been obsolete for over a year in th XL platform. is an XR14 now

and if you're buying new, no there isn't a good reason to go with 22 inless you plan on doing extended warranty
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

most all of tranes resi 22 systems are already on special order, and trane is stating that august will be thier cut off for 22 systems... heresay? maybe, but i believe the source i heard it from
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

i dis-agree....410A is a mixture of different refrigerants...so if/when you have a leak you dont know which refrigerant was the one that leaked out first...so you have to evacuate the system and put new 410A refrigerant back in the system...
    Apparently topping off 410a doesn't pose a problem - http://www.hrai.ca/R410A/char.htm

I wouldn't trust an HVAC technician who tops off leaking systems anyway.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Apparently topping off 410a doesn't pose a problem - http://www.hrai.ca/R410A/char.htm

I wouldn't trust an HVAC technician who tops off leaking systems anyway.

right but you know theres tech's out there that will....but 410A is here now so thats what it'll be..

Go with the 410a, you'll be glad you did in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by DPeoples View Post
    i dis-agree....410A is a mixture of different refrigerants...so if/when you have a leak you dont know which refrigerant was the one that leaked out first...so you have to evacuate the system and put new 410A refrigerant back in the system.......
    You should take some courses on R410A before you give out advise about it.

R410A can be topped off, its mixed gasses do NOT leak out at different rate.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Are there any benefits in going with R22 systems at this point?
    no
    Are you guys still installing a lot of R22 systems?
    none