Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Maytag sold and quality going downhill

I am in need of a little advice from someone in the HVAC industry. My wife and I are building a new house in a small community in central Minnesota, so our choices for heating and cooling are fairly limited. After getting quotes from 4 different contractors, 2 that sold Maytag. We decided to go with the Maytag, a model M1200+ B5VM-X36K-B air handler and a M1200+ 3 ton 15 SEER air to air heat pump. I did some research and asked some of the guys where I work who are experienced in the HVAC field and what I found out was that Maytag was of good quality and pretty reliable, also has a 12 year parts and labor warranty. The 12 year warranty was fairly important to me as our previous unit on the house we sold was a Trane which crapped out the summer after the warranty expired. One of the contractors contacted me to see if I decided on a contractor yet and I informed him that we were going with the Maytag unit. He informed me that Maytag had been sold and the quality wasn't very good since the sale. He said that I would be a fool if I didn't go with a Rheem, which he sells by the way. He also informed me to do some research on the internet and I would be surprised at what I found. I really haven't found anything on the internet to the extent that he said I would find. I have read some of these forums and the general feeling is to check out the contractor, as that will make or break a system. I have researched both contractors to the best I can do in a small town, BBB and word of mouth. I try to avoid references provided by the contractors themselves as they are usually family, friends or paid references. So it isn't really a question of not trusting either contractor, but did Maytag get sold and has the quality went downhill? This is our retirement house and we won't be moving out unless it is in the coroner's van, so we want to do it right the first time. Thanks for any feedback we get, it is greatly appreciated.

Okay...stepping up on my soap box.

Maytag, while has changed ownership several times in the last 20 years, is backed by a Limited 12 year warranty. Now, that warranty is a tricky thing to navigate from a contractor stand point but that is because they do not wanted needless warranty returns.

All major "Brands" if installed by a quality contractor, following ACCA's Quality Installation Guidelines (you do not need the guidelines, but you do need this https://www.acca.org/consumer/checklists/
    will more than surpass your expectations and have a long, stable life...especially if you do the routine maintenance the unit requires per manufacturer specifications.

Before I step off my soap box, I simply do not like contractors who have to resort to bad mouthing...for anything! (manufacturer, quality of workmanship, etc.) to make themselves look better. They are not focusing on what they can do for you, they are focusing on what they have failed to meet expectations on in the past and are telling you up front that they just have no clue.

P.S.: I am not a Maytag Dealer but one of my local competitiors who I do respect is. His customers have very high consumer confidence in our industry, but they still talk to us why??? It is that "why" we are selling.

I really have no clue on the quality of the unit you are asking about. But I can tell you this little it of info. Ask if they are going to do a manual J calc on the home because if they don't how would one know what size unit to install in the first place? If they say they can guess or that they use (rule of thumb) I would move on to a other person sense to at least me they don't want to take the time to do things right or don't know how to and if they don't know how to do you want them installing the unit in the first place? A warranty is a great thing but if the place that installed the unit can't get things right in the first place will they know how to fix the mess they may make of the unit on the install? Brand aside because everyone have one they like and hate so it seems the best unit is the one installed right the first time.

Avoid contractors that need to brand bash to sell.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Honestly it's a crap shoot in your odds as to the quality of any manufacturer. Nobody is honestly any better than the other. No matter the quality of the install, it can still be a POS system. Some of them just don't want to work right. If you do things correctly, it greatly reduces your chances of a breakdown, but it is no guarantee. It is a mechanical object, created by man that can break down whenever it feels like it. The big thing is to make sure that the dealer can get warranty parts in a very timely manner. Some manufacturers move around a lot and may be in the area for a short time then leave and come back with somebody else. Maytag/Nordyne/Whirlpool tends to be one of them. Rheem will usually build a presence in the area.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Maytag/Nordyne/Whirlpool tends to be one of them. Rheem will usually build a presence in the area.
    Ummm, not exactly true. All those mentioned are distributor based and those contractors do tend to change as their needs change but the distributor is still there to provide support. (Not going to put my first thought into words here but I will tell you question is, now does a distributor based brand build loyalty with contractors...in this economy..loyalty has nothing to do with distributor) Question is, does this contractor install out the back of his station wagon or mini van. Or is he branding himself and out there, pulling permits, advertising. Is he talking about adding value to your home? In this economy, customers are seeking Value not Cheapest Price.

Thanks BeenThere...you summed it up for me perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by DGIO-Not View Post
    Ummm, not exactly true. All those mentioned are distributor based and those contractors do tend to change as their needs change but the distributor is still there to provide support. (Not going to put my first thought into words here but I will tell you question is, now does a distributor based brand build loyalty with contractors...in this economy..loyalty has nothing to do with distributor) Question is, does this contractor install out the back of his station wagon or mini van. Or is he branding himself and out there, pulling permits, advertising. Is he talking about adding value to your home? In this economy, customers are seeking Value not Cheapest Price.

Thanks BeenThere...you summed it up for me perfectly.
    Nope, I don't know where you live or work. Areas are different. But a great deal of loyalty is going to go into the distributor and their reliability and them actually selling the same brand 5 years from now. I do not have the time to find who is selling what next year when a motor goes out and then the battle to warranty it. For whatever reason, where I live. Those brands are very fluid in where to do I get parts for next year. Kinda like Ducane. I have to order parts for those. They take 2-3 days. Here, I know who sells Carrier, Trane, Rheem, Lennox and Goodman. No BS. I never said Maytag was bad. Just finding parts can be difficult and warrantying them very hard.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

I have worked with Maytag products for a number of years. Yes they sold and some of their product has changed. However Maytag still stands behind their product and still built them to a great standard. The salesman you are dealing with is just trying to get your buisness (anyway he can) I now sell the bryant (Carrier) and it is top quality very few problems. I would think twice about buying a product from a salesman or company like that. I get asked on a constant basis what should our customers buy? What is the best. I tell them that all units are good (not all lol ) but that it really comes down to the install and service company thats who make it work. If they do a bad install or don't vac the system enough you could have issues anyways I believe that you are better to go with a good hvac service company that the name on the unit.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    "P.S.: I am not a Maytag Dealer but one of my local competitiors who I do respect is. His customers have very high consumer confidence in our industry, but they still talk to us why??? It is that "why" we are selling. "

Could you explain this ,a little?

I thught the Maytag name was used under a icense agreement ,and built by Nordyne,true or not?

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    I thught the Maytag name was used under a icense agreement ,and built by Nordyne,true or not?
    True

But Coleman is better......

I have heard it so much, I am starting to believe it.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Maytag the white goods company has nothing to do with the manufacturing of Maytag central systems.
    They licensed their name to be used by Nordyne.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Exactly. Maytag HVAC has only been around about 5 years. Nordyne, who has been in HVAC for a long time under various names, bought the license to use various appliance names instead of using the names they were best known for, Miller & Intertherm. What the dealer may be thinking of is Maytag appliances are now part of Whirlpool. Did the quality go downhill? Hard to say but that doesn't matter here.

EVERYTHING today is junk. Because consumers want CHEAP. 20 years ago a good family car was probably 1/2 what it is today. But today a 95% furnace is about the same as it was 20 years ago to the dealer. Why, cuz it is CHEAPLY built with 3rd world components that don't last.

So Maytag vs Rheem? It's a tossup. Both will have problems. The one best installed will have less problems.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post

EVERYTHING today is junk. Because consumers want CHEAP. 20 years ago a good family car was probably 1/2 what it is today. But today a 95% furnace is about the same as it was 20 years ago to the dealer. Why, cuz it is CHEAPLY built with 3rd world components that don't last.
    I think this is total BS. The third world components are being used by the company so THEY can save $. We dont get the benefit in return. You really think they pass the savings on to the consumer/dealer? I totaly disagree.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast