Confused 13 Manitowocs ice machines, SCALE problem

Hello, this is my first post, i have been here lurking for a while. And now i want to ask you for help.

Im in charge of 13 manitowoc ice machines and im a having a big problem with scale. evey month or so, i have to clean the machines, and in each one there is like 2 or 3 pounds of scale.

The machines are in minimarket stores, like Seven Eleven, and i have to be available 24/7. They call at all times, and is always the same problem, scale.

Now, some more background. Im in Mexico, you know what they say about water here, and specially in my town, is hard water really hard, a lot of kidney diseases.

What i really want is to find a cheap (cheap becouse they dont want to pay for this) water softener, that i can install and a good scale remover, or any other advice.

Thank you in advance.

PS sorry for bad spelling and grammar related mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by ElmoRoyD View Post
    Hello, this is my first post, i have been here lurking for a while. And now i want to ask you for help.

Im in charge of 13 manitowoc ice machines and im a having a big problem with scale. evey month or so, i have to clean the machines, and in each one there is like 2 or 3 pounds of scale.

The machines are in minimarket stores, like Seven Eleven, and i have to be available 24/7. They call at all times, and is always the same problem, scale.

Now, some more background. Im in Mexico, you know what they say about water here, and specially in my town, is hard water really hard, a lot of kidney diseases.

What i really want is to find a cheap (cheap becouse they dont want to pay for this) water softener, that i can install and a good scale remover, or any other advice.

Thank you in advance.

PS sorry for bad spelling and grammar related mistakes.

Welcome to the site that will always give you the answer you are looking for. I am by no means an expert in terms of water filtration systems and the best way to solve scale problems cheaply. I can tell you that a filtration system will need to be installed in the stores you are talking about. But cheap just does not seem to be a possibility. I would suggest talking with your local distributor in how to find the best filters to use for ice machines. Remember, not all water filters are for ice machine use. And I will tell you that if your scale problem is that bad you will be changing water filters on a regular basis. You can also install the Manitowoc Auto Clean System that will run Manitowoc cleaner through the system at set intervals.

There is no quick fix for bad water.......if there is someone please let me know.

Ask all the questions you can and you will get answers.
    "It's not that I'm so smart, I just spend more time with problems." Albert Einstein

There is a filtration system, but it just for show i think, i have to change the filters every month, but they only send me 5 filters every 2 months. (im doing a lot of bad promotion to my country here) Also this filters does not stop the scale.

I was thinking maybe a magnet may help, i havent used one yet, and i dont trust them enough. Can somebody tell me if this "magic" magnets works?

ScaleX filters will help get rid of most of the lime in the water.

Make sure that you are cleaning the dump valve everytime that you get on the machine.
    There are automatic cleaning systems that will interface into the mani machines. I personally dont think that they work too well, but others swear by them.

Make sure the dump valves are working and you have the proper outlet tubing (3/4 ") for the dump valve. You also might try increasing the dump time to maximum. The lime is left over after the ice making (freeze) cycle. If you can get rid of the left over water in the water trough you might find less lime.

I will look for the scalex filters.

Also im having troubles with the dump valves, when i start the contract, i noticed that almost every dump valve was disconected, i connected again and it was a lot of problems, the machines ran out of water, so i disconected again. Any toughts on this?

That is the cause of the lime build up. I would suggest replacing the valves. They use to have a kit for the diaphrams but not sure if still available. This will take care of the excess lime build up if the valves work properly.

From my experience I've found that the Everpure I-2000 and I-4000 filters work well at reducing scale and lime. I've also found that a 5 micron prefilter with a phosphorus filter works too. This would be the cheaper route since the everpure filters are kinda expensive.

Thanks for all the helps guys. But the only solution i found was to QUIT that contract, it was not worthy. The minimarket chain did not want to expend a cent in anything to solve the problem. Not even for a permanent solution, we propose several options to make the water softer, but they did not want to expend in anything else. Its cheaper for them to call us and keep fixing it every week.

It was not a big contract. We were in charge of ice machines, air conditioning and the cool room (i think that is the translation) and ice machines consume 50% of the time, and we only get paid like $20 dollars at month for each one, we accepted becouse it was a complete contract, but we didnt know the problem ice machines could be.

Thanks for all the help.