Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Brand new home not cooling?

I just purchased a Brand new 1 story brick home and the A/c is not working good enough. its 1860sq ft and its a trane 3.5 ton unit, 13 seer i believe?

I have had like 4 techs out they say the freeon is correct then they thought it was the evaporator valve or somthing in the coil that controles the freon it puts to the coil well they replaced the whole coil and everything this morning and i was getting the correct temp drop, 75degrees at the retrun and 60 coming out of the vents.

well this afternoon its up around 95degree's outside and my ac is running non stop its 74 at the return but only 64at a close vent and 68 at another vent.

so a 6 degree drop is not enough cold air to get it to cut off does anyone have any idea i'm tired of calling them and getting the same old story.???

Thanks in Advance.

Zac

You might need to pay another company to come out, and find the problem.

Then give the installing company the option of repairing it. Or paying for the other company to fix it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

well being only 3 weeks old you think they could get it fixed eh?

You would think so.

But after 4 techs. Looks like they can't.

You could call them and tell them you want their best guy. And if can't fix it.
    If they want. You'll call another company if they'll pay the bill.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Four Techs & No Real Trouble-Shooting Data

Quote Originally Posted by ZacHolley View Post
    I just purchased a Brand new 1 story brick home and the A/c is not working good enough. its 1860sq ft and its a trane 3.5 ton unit, 13 seer i believe?

I have had like 4 techs out they say the freeon is correct then they thought it was the evaporator valve or somthing in the coil that controles the freon it puts to the coil well they replaced the whole coil and everything this morning and i was getting the correct temp drop, 75degrees at the retrun and 60 coming out of the vents.

well this afternoon its up around 95degree's outside and my ac is running non stop its 74 at the return but only 64at a close vent and 68 at another vent.

so a 6 degree drop is not enough cold air to get it to cut off does anyone have any idea i'm tired of calling them and getting the same old story???
    Thanks in Advance.Zac
    First, everyone that has a service call should tell the Tech upfront that they want a record of everything done with all the test data clearly wrote in the invoice.

The 4-Service Techs(?) left nothing of value for you, us, or any other follow-up Tech.

Where do you live that not one in four could trouble shoot the system?

Could write a lot more but hands are very bad. Click on udarrell for much more. - Darrell

South Mississippi on the Golden Gulf Coast. 100 degree heat and 90% pluss humidty.
    I agree with been there. I think I might look at air mix ing in the return ie I mean attic air

Could be drywall dust that got in the could during construction. Seems like there wer several posts about this over the winter with furnaces getting construction dust on the heat exchangers.

When was the drywall and painting done??? recently in the hot, humid weather, or over the winter months? Did they run your system?

i live in oklahoma and i dont think it has dust it was just built right before i moved in.

the manager is coming back out today we shall see

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by ZacHolley View Post
    i live in oklahoma and i dont think it has dust it was just built right before i moved in.

the manager is coming back out today we shall see
    I think means construction dust from when the house was constructed. I have seen it as a problem on a few TV shows I have seen.

When I moved into my condo in early fall the AC wasn't even charged. They didn't charge them until all the contractors had left just to make sure they weren't run.

They also didn't activate the elevator until the end of construction for fear that the construction workers would start using it.

There is so much more to it then merely checking refrigerant charge.

It could very well be the design of the ductwork, poor insulation, inadequate airflow across the evaporator, installation errors, etc.

An A/C system also needs to remove humidity so understanding that aspect of the system design is also important.

When you meet with the manager I'd start by asking how the overall system was designed? Was a load calc. ever done? How about ductwork layout?

If the manager employs 4 techs who do not understand HVAC then I'd insist they they try and bring in the manufacturer's rep. to help them.

Do you have any recourse with the builder since this is a new home?

what do you mean recourse with he builder?

Home warranty expressed or implied. Not sure about OK but in OH there are defined legal rights for the purchaser of a new home. You can check can check with your State AG for specifics
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

If it's a brand new home that you purchased from the builder then it's ultimately the builder's responsibility to ensure the HVAC system works. Has the builder been fully paid, is there a warranty from the builder?

The HVAC subcontractor is generally only responsible to the builder, (who hired them), and the builder is responsible to you for the entire completed home.

If this HVAC company isn't providing any solutions it seems like it's the builder's responsibility to find another company to make things right for you.

The builder likely has a lot more clout with the subcons then the homeowner does in situations like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast