Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm What is a journeyman exactly??

Hey guys,

Can someone give me a true definition of a journeyman and when that status is aquired? I mean some people say 15+ years others say 20+ years but I mean there has to be certifications and licenses that must be held to reach that level correct? Guess I was just curious what exactly it meant and how it is attained in the USA, in australia they say after a 4 year apprenticeship you are considered a journeyman.

Thank you for the feedback, just trying to expand my knowledge.

Adam

Takes ten years and a test here, pretty much means you are capable and experienced and worth what a customer is going to have to pay for your services, if you aren't they will let you know about it.

The difference between an apprentice and a journeyman...

A journeyman knows how to fix his mistakes.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Watch Bear Grills parachute into the brush and Journey across 5 mountains living on nothing but nose hair, Mose dung, and finger nail dirt. Now that is a true Journey-Man!

So Bear Grills is a journey man.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    The difference between an apprentice and a journeyman...

A journeyman knows how to fix his mistakes.
    How to hide em is more important

The only difference in Jersey, is a Journeyman has 5 years and a apprentice doesn't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by adamste81 View Post
    Hey guys,

Can someone give me a true definition of a journeyman and when that status is aquired?
    me! i've been in the buisness for 28 years, have sore knees, back, and arms, cranky, complain alot, hide in loud mechanical rooms, and ignore the dispatcher

Its when you can write a one line invoice for 10,000 dollars and have the customer sign it without hesitation , then you are a journeyman grasshopper. Either that , or when you can snatch my truck keys out of my hand.

In British Columbia:

• 7220 workplace hours
    • 28 weeks of school (6-8 weeks a year for 4 years)
    • then you write your interprovincial exam which makes you a journeyman all across Canada

Local in Cincinnati 5 years of apprenticeship, after another year try to pass an upgrade test then go to school another 3 years (if you pass the test!) then you are a journeymen. Some work is supposed to be for journeymen only. Equipment over a certain size.

I had to have a 5 years apprenticeship accredited by the DOL and acceptable by building and safety and then pass the mechanical journeyman exam for the jurisdictions i work in. My state has no formal exam, it goes by city here.

Quote Originally Posted by adamste81 View Post
    Hey guys,

Can someone give me a true definition of a journeyman and when that status is aquired? I mean some people say 15+ years others say 20+ years but I mean there has to be certifications and licenses that must be held to reach that level correct? Guess I was just curious what exactly it meant and how it is attained in the USA, in australia they say after a 4 year apprenticeship you are considered a journeyman.

Thank you for the feedback, just trying to expand my knowledge.

Adam
    My Uncle was a Plumber and he called himself a Master Plumber, I asked him what the difference between a master plumber and a plumber was, he said he was a master plumber because he was licensed.

In Florida a Journeyman has gone to school and been in the field a certain period of time, usually 4 years.

I guess since I am licensed in a few different trades I am a master, but I admit there are some journeymen plumbers who know more about certain areas of plumbing than I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast