Need advise on which unit

Have a 2nd home that I only use for weekends in south Louisiana near the water with temps averaging 95 in the summer & only a few months of 40 - 60 degrees colder weather during winter. House is 1000 square feet with high ceilings, large attached garage, raised 3' off the ground and not the greatest insulation with lots of windows. Had 4 companies give me a estimate with 2 recommended a 3-1/2 ton heat pump 15 seer system, 1 for a 3-1/2 ton ac & 1 with a 4 ton ac unit. Thinking of going with the heat pump, will this cool the place down to 72 degrees & is it worth paying the extra $$ for only weekend use?? Don't know too much about them. Thank you in advance for your comments, opinions.

A heat pump is simply a central a/c condenser with a reversing valve that allows the system to provide heat in the winter.

What kind of heat is in the house now?

Does the existing a/c cool the house to 72F?

Did you get a load calc to determine system sizing?

Sounds like you need more insulation to lower the heat gain.

Good luck.

I always like a h/p just in case,valves are tougher. Agree look into some icyneene spray foam insulation for the floor at least. Sounds like your trying to air condition a bubble.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    I always like a h/p just in case,valves are tougher. Agree look into some icyneene spray foam insulation for the floor at least. Sounds like your trying to air condition a bubble.
    Yeah, I thought about spraying insulation on the bottom, but the house almost flooded last yr during hurricane Ike & Gustav. Came within 2" of coming inside. Didn't know if water comes up that this would make it a house boat & start to float if it's not properly secured. The people before me did a lot of renovations half azz their selves.