Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    CAUTION! RANT FOLLOWS!

TMH58,

Thanks for helping out. The furnace is an Intertherm MGHA-056. The installers upgraded the blower unit when it was installed to handle a Coleman 2442901 Condensing Unit. That system always cooled well except for the times the e-coils were replaced due to leaks. The new condenser is a Rudd 13AJA42.

Since I filed a complaint with the BBB, a couple of techs showed up unannounced at noon with a Mortex 96-8W4O-2P and told my wife they were there to fix the unit. I told them over the phone they could not install anything unless I was there to watch and I could not get there until 3:30 today. So, they took the old coils out and are driving 125 miles round trip to return them for a refund. "So they wouldn't be standing around until I got there." Sounds like a serious cash flow problem because he had to buy the new coils first.

My sons took my wife's van so she is waiting in 104 degrees for a neighbor to get home so she can visit in the ac.

How would you guys handle this?

The compressor was really quiet on 5/20. You could barely hear it above the condenser fan when standing next to it. Now it sounds like a little jack-hammer and you can hear it 100 feet away.

I'm really worried about warranty service in the future.

I would never have filed a complaint, but he would not talk to me at all. And if he is too busy to call me, why is he taking care of new business when he has not finished old business. If I did that in the software business, I would not have much work.

WHEW! I'm glad I got that out. Sorry for the rant.

PeteTx

You should have let them install the coil.
    You shouldn't have got the BBB involved.
    I wouldn't blame them if the coil isn't installed for a week.
    Don't even start complaining about the 104*

wrangler,

How long should someone with a faulty install wait for the installer to call back after he has missed 2 appointments?

As for installing the coils. I'm happy I did not let them install the coil. There is an LP pipe blocking a few inches of the coil box (?). To swap the new coils out they undid the flex line for the furnace at the end of the steel pipe. Undid the connection below the floor and puched the pipe down. These guys removed the control box from the furnace, disconnected the steel pipe, and then realized they needed to lossen it from blow and push it down. My wife said each one said he had no idea what to do. They talked about it for 15 minutes until they started to try something. They should have called the installers.

Well Pete, you spoke highly of them before this incident.
    What I would do is, re-install your original coil, refund your money, and never go back there again.

Not a lot of contractors will even work on trailers anymore.
    Do to problems like this.

Good Luck with this mess. You're gonna need it.

The MGHA furnace has 2 blower upgrades. One is a 2-3.5 ton nd one is a 2-4 ton. Not sure which one you have. Is your home a double wide? I am assuming it is a 3.5 ton capacity. That series coil IS the only one that will fit in that cabinet, so I would hope you put the 2-4 ton blower in. If it is a double wide, which would explain 3.5 ton, a cross over on the duct should be right under the furnace. If not, it should be. If one can't be put in there, than an extra one needs to be put in to reduce duct pressure. It is unfortunate you are having problems with this equipment. Is this contractor's expertise manufactured housing? If not they should be. That is a whole different ball of wax for a residential outfit to take care of. Not that they would not be qualified, but the high static duct systems NEED to be taken into consideration.
    Sound installation practices is the key to success. Equipment is only as good as the person installing it.

If I can't fix it, it ain't broke.

wrangler,

Thanks for the best wishes. I did request a refund and he could take everything out. Of course, he did not respond to that voice mail either. The name of the game is service. I write software for large corporations. If I can't make a deadline, I tell them just as soon as I can. If it's my fault, the contract usually calls for a penalty depending on how late and what requirements were not met. If I don't make an agreed deadline and I don't call them within 3 business days, they have the optoin to find someone else and I get nothing. No matter how many hours I put into it. Sure, I miss deadlines. Occassionally my fault. Usually not. But I always keep the bo$$ in the loop. My contracts require a response within 1 business day for requests for warranty support. I don't have to start on it right away, but I have to acknowledge the ticket. Everything depends on communication. I am resonable, just communicate.

TMH58,

Thank you for helping. I have a single wide. One long duct. 5" X 12". I just measured it. I don't know which blower was installed. The installation paperwork for the original coils were rated for 1250 cfm. That's not what I was expecting to see. Do the newer higher SEER systems need the same cfm as a 20 year old system?

I'm starting to think I need to upgrade the duct work to make it larger.

PeteTx

is the blower wheel clean i have seen some very dirty blowers in mobile homes due the the crappy filtration

Thanks catmanacman. I did clean the blower wheel while waiting for the new unit to be installed.

The correct coils were installed this afternoon. So far everything seems great. It was 100 degrees outside and inside (50% RH). In 20 minutes it was 93. An hour later it was 99 outside and 88 inside (30% RH). The new coils were working a lot better!

PeteTx

Pete, if your still having the problem with the new coil "hopefully not" I would try adding another duct off the bottom of the main trunk line directly under the unit, maybe 7" or 8" to the kitchen, and make sure I installed a manual damper in the new duct so I could tweak it, if it's an air flow issue this should confirm that. If you then can open up the damper fully and this thing still freezes at night, I doubt air flow is the problem, cheap way to find out if air flow is the problem.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by PeteTx View Post
    wrangler,

Thanks for the best wishes. I did request a refund and he could take everything out. Of course, he did not respond to that voice mail either. The name of the game is service. I write software for large corporations. If I can't make a deadline, I tell them just as soon as I can. If it's my fault, the contract usually calls for a penalty depending on how late and what requirements were not met. If I don't make an agreed deadline and I don't call them within 3 business days, they have the optoin to find someone else and I get nothing. No matter how many hours I put into it. Sure, I miss deadlines. Occassionally my fault. Usually not. But I always keep the bo$$ in the loop. My contracts require a response within 1 business day for requests for warranty support. I don't have to start on it right away, but I have to acknowledge the ticket. Everything depends on communication. I am resonable, just communicate.

TMH58,

Thank you for helping. I have a single wide. One long duct. 5" X 12". I just measured it. I don't know which blower was installed. The installation paperwork for the original coils were rated for 1250 cfm. That's not what I was expecting to see. Do the newer higher SEER systems need the same cfm as a 20 year old system?

I'm starting to think I need to upgrade the duct work to make it larger.

PeteTx
    I'm thinkin', the supplier really did tell your man, that the coil they gave him was the correct one.

Since you researched this coil, and now know it's not the correct one, I'm thinking the supplier was stalling the contractor. He should have called but he didn't.
    He knew you were mad, nobody likes to get yelled at.
    I just don't think the call to the BBB was in good taste.

Why not try and see what the availability of the coil was, before you threw him under the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    I'm thinkin', the supplier really did tell your man, that the coil they gave him was the correct one.

Since you researched this coil, and now know it's not the correct one, I'm thinking the supplier was stalling the contractor. He should have called but he didn't.
    He knew you were mad, nobody likes to get yelled at.
    I just don't think the call to the BBB was in good taste.

Why not try and see what the availability of the coil was, before you threw him under the bus.
    Guys, it ain't the supplier's job NOR the customer's job to KNOW the product...it's ours....
    Speaking of rants....
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-11-2009 at 05:54 AM. Reason: To bring the post back to a PG rating
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

Wow Doug! the whole world reads here, you could have probably use a little better language, this is not your local dump, this is a highly respected forum that deserves the same from it's posters, being a Professional here don't stop at our a/c skills it's the total person that makes us Professionals, JMO.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast