Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lockhart View Post
    DON'T match a 10 SEER DX coil with a 13 SEER outdoor unit plus it is illegal to put anything in below 13 SEER......If your guy is speaking at HVAC/R engagements, he of all people should know that.....bottom line....you got a set of 6" wide tires on a dragster....too much horsepower....not enough method to place it to the ground (air), plus Mobile Homes are notoriously bad for too small of ductwork....IMHO...
    Since when is it illegal to install 10 seer equipment?
    That means I can't install the dozens of units I bought before?

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Since when is it illegal to install 10 seer equipment?
    Maybe just in Canada

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Maybe just in Canada
    Maybe. But, not in the states.

(Doug, if you edit, I'll edit.)

Doug Lockhart,

Thanks for your reply. The technician said the supply house told him ther coils are 10 SEER. The Mortex charts show the system is certified 13 SEER when paired to a 13AJA-36 (13 SEER 3 ton Ruud condenser). The more I think about it, the more frustrated I get. I have told him I think he needs to install the ARI certified coil. He says I would only get a piston type unit and it would not make a difference in my situation.

Hmmm... More efficient and less wear and tear on the compressor.

Does anyone have any documentation I can show him that proves the compressor won't last as long and that legally he has to use a SEER matched coil?

I'm really thankful for the help offered so far.

PeteTx

Quote Originally Posted by PeteTx View Post
    Doug Lockhart,

Thanks for your reply. The technician said the supply house told him ther coils are 10 SEER. The Mortex charts show the system is certified 13 SEER when paired to a 13AJA-36 (13 SEER 3 ton Ruud condenser). The more I think about it, the more frustrated I get. I have told him I think he needs to install the ARI certified coil. He says I would only get a piston type unit and it would not make a difference in my situation.

Hmmm... More efficient and less wear and tear on the compressor.

Does anyone have any documentation I can show him that proves the compressor won't last as long and that legally he has to use a SEER matched coil?

I'm really thankful for the help offered so far.

PeteTx
    There is no legality of mis-matching components. You lose some btu ouput and efficiency with the smaller sized evap coil. If it were a heat pump, a mis-match would be even more of a concern.

Question for the pro's:
    Isn't the TXV selected based on the condenser, not the evap coil, even in a SEER mis-matched system?

Thanx.

Seems like these days, there's two size valves, small and large. (evasive enough?)

Peter,question for you. What did the propasal say, as to the model number, and make of coil you were supposed to get.

If you didn't have one, you're gonna have a hard time trying to hammer this contractor.

That coil may be your whole problem.

Are you sure your old unit was a 3.5 ton.

Could be a combination of low air flow and too small of an indoor coil.

Since he does speaking engaugements.
    He should also have teh meters to actually check air flow. In CFM, instead of just how hard its blowing out.
    Ask him to check and verify CFM.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

heaterman is offline AOP Committee/Professional Member*
    All mismatching aside, the bottom line is the coil is to cold. The causes have been discussed earlier on as to why a coil can ice. A solution we use for small commercial equipment where store employees constantly set temps too low (bridal shops are the worst offenders), we install freeze detection probes in the evaporator coils and drop the compressor out until the system catches up, same thing we do with zoned systems to prevent icing when zone demand is light but capacity is high.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by heaterman View Post
    All mismatching aside, the bottom line is the coil is to cold. The causes have been discussed earlier on as to why a coil can ice. A solution we use for small commercial equipment where store employees constantly set temps too low (bridal shops are the worst offenders), we install freeze detection probes in the evaporator coils and drop the compressor out until the system catches up, same thing we do with zoned systems to prevent icing when zone demand is light but capacity is high.
    Funny you should mention that.
    I worked on a mobile home a few years back with this same problem.
    Ended up installing a freeze stat.

Wow,

Thanks guys. I've never posted on a forum where so many are willing to help.

teddy bear:

I see what you mean now. Since the new system was installed, we have had 100+ days and nights between 76 and 80. We raised the temp from 72 to 74 and everything was OK for a few days. Yesterday, a cool front blew through and the high was only 96 with a low of around 72. I guess we got close to the outside temp again. I need a lower temp to sleep (medical reason and too long to discuss). 74 isn't a problem. 78 during the day is great because the ac runs long enough to remove the humidity. Not too great at 3 am.

dangling wrangler,

If I remember correctly, the proposal had the model of the condenser and an evap coil. I don't remember a SEER rating.

heaterman,

I don't think my technician does commercial stuff, but I'll mention what you suggest. Does this method stop and start the compressor only or the whole condenser?

Y'all are great!

PeteTx

You guys are fast. Mr. Wrangler, I'll ask him about a "freeze stat". Thanks again.

You know, I have a BS degree in Computer Science. I'm glad I didn't and don't have to calculate all of the variables you guys do. It's infinitely more complex than I thought. Not any Bubba can do this stuff. 8^)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteTx View Post
    You guys are fast. Mr. Wrangler, I'll ask him about a "freeze stat". Thanks again.

You know, I have a BS degree in Computer Science. I'm glad I didn't and don't have to calculate all of the variables you guys do. It's infinitely more complex than I thought. Not any Bubba can do this stuff. 8^)
    That "freeze stat" was a last resort. I started reading this, to see what others would have done, or to see if I left any stones unturned.
    So far, I was in the same ball park.

Pete I was not suggesting you should know that evap. coils do not have a SEER rating that is for the techs that should know better. On a straight cool system you can put a 2-ton nominally rated coil on a 5-ton and it will work and you can put a 5-ton nominally rated coil on a 2-ton. It is all about airflow and refrigerant charge.

As for Doug he is full of misinformation!

A qualified tech can verify if the TXV is functioning properly or not and they should also be able to quantify the CFM's being delivered by the system.

I have not worked on a mobile home for years but I do know their duct systems are more restrictive than other duct systems.

A freeze stat and raising the set point are temporary solutions and the real problem needs to be determined.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast