Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerk View Post
    I had a call where the handyman that worked for the owner met me at the job. He said I tried to replace the tstat and now it wont work. I asked him if it worked before and he said no, thats why Im changing the stat. It was a heat pump stat and he gave up after 2 hours of trying to wire the new one in. I wired the stat and found a bad cap at the outdoor unit. It was a nice new stat though.
    I have a friend that wanted a digital t stat. He had his father, an engineer, come over and do it instead of calling me. Needless to say I got the call about halfway through last winter, "Hey man my electric bill is through the roof."

They installed a heat pump t stat on electric heat.
    Installs, Changeouts, & Heat Stroke.....not necessarily in that order

It's alway's low on freon no matter what it's doing.

Lady call's and ask's, can you come check my ac - it needs a little freon. What's it doing? Blowing hot air. Is the outside unit running? It was just humming, but the fan started running after my husband turned the fan blade with a pen. Still blowing hot air even though it's running now, so it must be low on freon. Uh huh?

Or how about, it's 15 years old so it's got to be low on freon. It's a sealed system & doesn't ever need refrigerant unless there is a problem. I worked on cars for years and they alway's leak a little so it's got to be low after all this time. What's it doing? Freezes up when the kids drop the t stat to 65. Uh huh? What about all that dog hair stuck on the condensor? Rain will wash it off. Just needs a little freon so it won't freeze up. Uh huh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus" View Post
    i leave it turned down to 16 degrees c and it's now not blowing cold air,
    filter? what filter?
    That reminds me of what my cousin said. She said to me "when it get's really hot out I turn the air down to like 65" I then said "did it ever get to that?" and then long pause and she said "no" LOL. She likes it about 70 degrees in her house when it's scorching outside and it never got to that so she would turn it way down and it still never got to that, after I fixed her system I told her to keep it at 70 and not change the setting, when it was 95 out it was keeping 70. No more turning it way down!

Just one time I would enjoy demostrating this one by grabbing the ho by the neck and holding it til they pass out------DOES IT MATTER IF WE BLOCK THOSE VENT THINGS ON THE WALL!
    Learn the process not the procedure--the process will dictate the procedure-If ya understand how it works ya knows how to fix it!

"You guys were just here (6 months ago) and now it doesn't work".

Everytime I go in someones house I go and make sure ALL there vents are uncovered.

the best one I ever had was a guy who didnt know there was a filter so never got changed 7 years , had me out because his motor burnt up ,unit wasnt blowing very good so he opened up the door and saw a sticker that said to oil the motor once a year ,so he went and got a quart of 10w30 poured it over the motor and turned the blower on ,he was surprised when the motor started sparking. I was covered in oil changing the motor

A customer calls on the weekend no cooling. The unit is about 3 years old.

The company I work for mainly did new homes. Will I get to to job the A/C

was fine the trouble was digital thermostats buttons for changing the

temperature were total warren down so that the stat didn't work any more.

The customer must have constant been changing the temperature setting on

it. I have never seen anything like it before or since. Changed it out and

explained the operation to the customer even the setback option. I doubt

if made any impression.
    Waddya mean don't thaw out the frig with a knive?

Quote Originally Posted by sidecarr View Post
    the best one I ever had was a guy who didnt know there was a filter so never got changed 7 years , had me out because his motor burnt up ,unit wasnt blowing very good so he opened up the door and saw a sticker that said to oil the motor once a year ,so he went and got a quart of 10w30 poured it over the motor and turned the blower on ,he was surprised when the motor started sparking. I was covered in oil changing the motor
    taht was a good one.

I hate when the dispatcher says , ..."Can you stop by this site? all ya gotta do is...".
    Those calls are typically the ones where something melts and explodes
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

I see a lot of "Freezon" needs in Memphis. Had 4 call the other day all needing "freezon" and yet I did not put in 1 drop. I did get 1 "that filter changing stuff is just a gimic, I know I just need a little "freezon" to make it through till October right? (blown cap and clogged filters and coil.)

I think I got this line off here..........

HO Calls and sez "Do you think it's the thermostat???"

I tell um changing your thermostat because the a/c wont work is about as smart as changing your gas petal when your car wont run....... It's the most obvious part, but rarely the problem.........
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    In the old days the refrigeration guys would quite frequently just "gas er up". My cost on R-12 when I first went into business was .87 cents a pound. We used it to blow out the condenser as well.

The equipment was all belt driven compressors. After awhile the shaft seals would start to leak. You could see the oil dripping off the shaft. If you "gased it up" it could last 3-4 months. "I'll be back to change the shaft seal." After awhile the customer thought that the refrigeratio equipment used "gas" just like a car.

What you are hearing today is a carry over from the old belt driven days.

"Does anyone have a door gasket cutter I can borrow??? "
    I remember those days well and ac/hps with R500 too.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast