Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dblrye View Post
    That used to be my biggest pet peeve with office people. They would say "could you swing by, stop by, do a quick call at".
    9 times out of 10 it wasn't just a quick call and when you tell the office that it's going to take longer they never say "ok I'll re-assign the call you were heading to".
    You end up working late and everyone else went home at a reasonable time.
    Dispatcher yesterday asked me if I could stop by a customer on my way home to throw a replacement TXV in, this was at 4:00 on my way to another call that was 40 miles from the TXV job. I told I don't know how to throw a TXV in.

My husband say all it need is.......,

Is he in hvac

no accounting but he is very very handy
    Last edited by fcs; 07-01-2009 at 10:17 PM.
    If you help others then you are a Success

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    In the old days the refrigeration guys would quite frequently just "gas er up". My cost on R-12 when I first went into business was .87 cents a pound. We used it to blow out the condenser as well.

The equipment was all belt driven compressors. After awhile the shaft seals would start to leak. You could see the oil dripping off the shaft. If you "gased it up" it could last 3-4 months. "I'll be back to change the shaft seal." After awhile the customer thought that the refrigeratio equipment used "gas" just like a car.

What you are hearing today is a carry over from the old belt driven days.

"Does anyone have a door gasket cutter I can borrow??? "
    Man those were the days r 12 got no respect. Ive used it to cool off hot compressors. And i remember those dripping shaft seals.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by iron View Post
    my favorite
    "it need new freon cause its 10 years old and the freon is stale"
    LOL! When I first got started in the trade some 20 odd years ago we had a parts guy who would rotate the company's stock of refrigerant because he though it would go stale.

And my favorite customer question still to this day is "So, what's wrong with it?" And that's being asked before I even set my tool bag down to look at the unit.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

"Why did the capacitor fail?" Lady, if I could answer that I would'nt be here fixing your AC.
    Eat a slice of Humble Pie.

Quote Originally Posted by dblrye View Post
    That used to be my biggest pet peeve with office people. They would say "could you swing by, stop by, do a quick call at".
    9 times out of 10 it wasn't just a quick call and when you tell the office that it's going to take longer they never say "ok I'll re-assign the call you were heading to".
    You end up working late and everyone else went home at a reasonable time.
    ALways happens to me.... and I work the farthest out. Coming back from 4x4 territory I get a "stop by such and such...." doesnt matter if its 4 5 or 6pm.... and the others... even the ones on call are at home!
    Today got one 4:45..... top floor not cooling.... HHmmmm only one system..... ah... downstairs isnt cooling either....... lucky me a breaker was tripped.... checked the compressor and fan moter out. Tightened all the connections... including the disconnect... couldnt get the panel open due to all the beach stuff on the floor in front of it.... reset the breaker and viola! Running like a champ. Wasnt about to open the pig up to check the crank case heater! turned out to be a 45 min call! (lucky me!)
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    We had a heat wave last week...99 deg (130 on the strip mall roofs) and 89% humidity. newly opened restaurant in what used to be a bar. Cleaned off the cottonwoods and still 350 head. informed the manager that he should call the office and schedule us to come clean the coil properly..would have to shut down unit for about 3 hours (splitting condenser) his response "how is the gas though?" " its ok but that thing is dirty and neglected that why its 79 in the sitting area. Went back Monday with a helper..was like a horse blanket between the coils..all washed now. the owners response when we finished .."so the gas is good?"
    Should charged him for the gas

my wife is always messing with the thermostat now the thing isnt cooling....she probably burned out the clutch.....

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    Dispatcher yesterday asked me if I could stop by a customer on my way home to throw a replacement TXV in, this was at 4:00 on my way to another call that was 40 miles from the TXV job. I told I don't know how to throw a TXV in.
    4:00 "Can you come to the shop and pick up a set of service valves that need to be changed on a heat pump?"

i leave it turned down to 16 degrees c and it's now not blowing cold air,
    filter? what filter?

Quote Originally Posted by fv_tom View Post
    4:00 "Can you come to the shop and pick up a set of service valves that need to be changed on a heat pump?"
    I would have said, "Have the damn installer, who smoked them, go back and replace them"

we just changed the filter.......................................... bout 2 minutes before you showed up

its probably low on freon

I think no matter what trade your in you'll always have people either dough ting you or trying to tell you whats wrong even though they don't have a clue,"well the last guy said" boy if I only had a dollar for that line,or no ,never had anyone look at it ,,then you notice screws missing from the cabinet or a cap left inside the unit,oh ya never been serviced ...OK well ,you look and theres no servive valve caps on either line..CUSTOMERS TEND TO LIE..................

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast