Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I really wish people would stop referring to these credits as rebates.

If only they WERE rebates we'd all be better off...but they're not.

This whole HVAC tax credit is turning into a three ring circus...
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by mrs reb77 View Post
    This whole HVAC tax credit is turning into a three ring circus...
    Confusion is a good excuse to give to the IRS if the credit is taken but not allowable.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by jd253 View Post
    After examining the posts here, talking to the IRS, speaking to the manufactures, and scouring the internet, I have come to the conclusion that the rebates will technically only apply to high-end systems with the latest equipment. If you have a system more than a few years old without variable speed, you are out of luck. ... (requiring a new furnace that I don’t need)...
    You should read the IRS Notice 2009-53 quotes I just posted. There is no requirement for an AHRI certification that requires AC/coil/air handler combinations. All you need to do is get your manufacturer to state that the AC (and probably coil) meets the following:

Split Systems:
    EER >=13
    SEER >= 16

And even the manufacturer's certification is optional. But that may be wishful thinking. However, you better feel lucky or very convincing if or when you get to discuss it with an IRS auditor.

The IRS rules say that an AC unit can be installed by itself as long as it qualifies on its own....

Yesterday I authorized my contractor to replace my 10 yr old Lennox Elite condensor which was leakign and had a fried compressor. We looked at all sorts of combinations to take advantage of the Credit, however thanks to our *helpful* government, none work.

My 10Yr furnace works fine. I suggested that if I can get a full credit, why not change out both units. I have a 4 ton heat pump with propane back up.

We selected a Trane 15.6 SEER unit with the new R410a (I'm not familiar with all the technical part numbers).

Turns out that nearly all 3 ton high efficiency units qualify. Only some 3.5 ton units do. Virtually no 4 ton and higher units are on the IRS list or in the energy star tables (so I am told by my service company).

So I'm led to believe that the Credit is tailored to 3 ton and lower units. If true that is a real government ripoff. I certainly am not wealthy and live in a 3,000sf house. I guess the gov't (and I am leaving names out) thinks if you can afford a bigger house you don't need the Credit?

Quote Originally Posted by spudman9 View Post
    Turns out that nearly all 3 ton high efficiency units qualify. Only some 3.5 ton units do. Virtually no 4 ton and higher units are on the IRS list or in the energy star tables (so I am told by my service company).

... I guess the gov't (and I am leaving names out) thinks if you can afford a bigger house you don't need the Credit?
    You look at 3rd party coils? I required a 4-ton unit and the manufacturer's coils didn't pass the tax credit test. Went with a 3rd party coil and manufacturer HP and furnace. IMHO many manufacturers were caught flat-footed and didn't have equipment certified or minor changes ready to go. Believe that several are coming up fast. Even in the couple months I have been looking, some brands that didn't have a prayer are getting there.

Just think that it is harder and harder for big units to pass. You consider multiple smaller units (you have to have a well designed duct system though)?

Rebate

Does anyone think that I will have to subtract my manufactors rebate from the cost of my unit for the tax credit.

.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M&B View Post
    Does anyone think that I will have to subtract my manufactors rebate from the cost of my unit for the tax credit.

.Thanks
    Not an expert on that but I suppose it's what the invoice says. Believe that rebate isn't the contractor's problem. You have to deal with the manufacturer on that, but first you pay the total bill to the contractor. No?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12