Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Confused Looking for ansewers..

I was hoping someone might have an ansewer to a problem I'm having with an American Standard coil. The coil to this unit has been replaced 6 times and is needing to be replaced again. Thank goodness for the extended warranty. My A/C man tells me that he doesn't know what is causing the failures with each one but they all develope leaks in less than a year. We live in Pleasanton Texas. We are just your average family with no use of anything I can think of that might cause this thing to keep failing. It is a 3.5 ton heat pump unit with the air handler in the attick. The unit is now 8 years old and I think must be a lemon. It was one of American Standards fancier units when we purchased it. I would appriciate any input. Thanks.

6 coils, Really, 6 coils. I think mister A/C man is getting a kick back on that warranty. I would be draging a factory rep up to that attic if I couldn't figure out why the 2nd one died.

This sound really fishy.

If your lucky someone with intimate experience with AmStd will read this and have a magic answer, other wise I would call another A/C guy for a second opinion as long as that extended warranty will allow someone else to do the work.........
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

Have you been shown any leaks to date? If no, why not? Hard to believe, six coils in a row are bad.

Indoor coil or outdoor coil??

American Standard units have the spine fin coils and the roto-lock compressors.....

Might not be the coil....might be the roto-lock fittings that are leaking....
    I need a new signature.....

Looking for answers

Thanks for all the advice. No I have not been shown where the A coil is actually leaking. I have been up there with him when he used his sniffer. I am going to call American Standard and see if I can get someone else out to look at it. I have always thought it strange that all they would do is just keep replacing these coils, the folks at A S, I mean. You would think they would become curious as to what is going on. My A/C man says that he has several of these units in other houses and that this one is the only one they have seen this problem with.

Thats really odd, i was an American Standard dealer for years and although i did not like the coils i never had any problems with them.
    Could there be something in the home or attic, fumes????? That would degrade aluminum?
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

A classic case of technician error, if its too dumb to be true then it isnt, there is no way you had 6 bad coils.

it seems as if the tech can figure it out and just wants to keep replacing the evap.coil...get a second opinion...

Looking for answers

Thanks for all the great comments and advice. I did get a hold of an American Standard Rep. He knows the installer. He is going to get with him to get all the info on the repair work. He was telling me that they have had similar problem in Seguin TX because of sulfure. Most of south Texas has sulfer in the water. The curious thing here would be there are 4 houses here, all have central air units. The other 3 are less than 3 years old, and none have ever had any problems at all. They too are all American Standard units, the only difference is they all use the R-22 refrigerant. Mine the one with all the leaks uses the R-410a. I will update as soon as hear from the rep.

Quote Originally Posted by paulc7 View Post
    Thanks for all the great comments and advice. I did get a hold of an American Standard Rep. He knows the installer. He is going to get with him to get all the info on the repair work. He was telling me that they have had similar problem in Seguin TX because of sulfure. Most of south Texas has sulfer in the water. The curious thing here would be there are 4 houses here, all have central air units. The other 3 are less than 3 years old, and none have ever had any problems at all. They too are all American Standard units, the only difference is they all use the R-22 refrigerant. Mine the one with all the leaks uses the R-410a. I will update as soon as hear from the rep.

Thanks for getting back to us ... I am very interested in what the cause is, so please let us know ...

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Change hairspray or cooking oil or get rid of the dog. Ya gotta change the contributions to the formic acid.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Quote Originally Posted by paulc7 View Post
    I was hoping someone might have an ansewer to a problem I'm having with an American Standard coil. The coil to this unit has been replaced 6 times and is needing to be replaced again. Thank goodness for the extended warranty. My A/C man tells me that he doesn't know what is causing the failures with each one but they all develope leaks in less than a year. We live in Pleasanton Texas. We are just your average family with no use of anything I can think of that might cause this thing to keep failing. It is a 3.5 ton heat pump unit with the air handler in the attick. The unit is now 8 years old and I think must be a lemon. It was one of American Standards fancier units when we purchased it. I would appriciate any input. Thanks.

Are they actually proving that the coils are developing leaks? What methods are they using? ....Maybe the leak is elsewhere
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ISOTHERMAL View Post
    Are they actually proving that the coils are developing leaks? What methods are they using? ....Maybe the leak is elsewhere
    That's what I am thinking too......

I hope this dude keeps us posted on the outcome......
    I need a new signature.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast