Thread: Things that Builder do to cut cost

Post Likes

Things that Builder do to cut cost

i went to do PM on a 6 or so house in the same sub division.

All of the houses are built by the same builder known for "Most House for the Money".

All the 6 houses uses the same exact tonnage and equipment no matter the size of the house.

2 stories 1250 sqft . would have 2 x 1.5 tons units

2 stories 1800 sqft no basement would have 2 x 1.5 tons units.

a 2200 sqft + 900sqft basement also has 2 x 1.5 tons units .
    this house AC Almost never stop working in the day time according to the owner. and Inside house temp doesnot go down below 75deg.
    The house has cathedral ceiling and HUGE glass windows facing west.

On last house i can only wash the outside coil, inspect the inside coil . make sure filter is good . no obvious ducts leak that i can see.
    proper charge using Superheat ( Wetbulb is very low since humidity is low due to the AC working all day long) and recomend the owner to call s back when the current units finaly die.

First house a 1250 sqft 1.5 story. Upstair has a 2 small bedroom and bathroom. and a 1.5 tons unit. the owner still install a window shaker on one of the room that face west. Insulation on the attic is woefully in adequate.

Builder must also use a HVAC contractor that order 1.5 tons unit by the warehouseful. 1.5 tons is all that they use in every single house no matter what size

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeiss Nut View Post
    The house has cathedral ceiling and HUGE glass windows facing west.
    This is where the money went, and why the equipment struggles on hot days.

There is no thermodynamic free lunch. Builders, and the draftspeople they hire to draw up house plans, are ridiculously focused on configuring a house so it will sell. Not nearly as much thought is given toward making it livable, comfortable, and sustainable. If you are not comfortable in your house, then you are not sheltered. Modern shelter is more than just keeping the rain, snow, wind, and sun out.

The customer base for new homes needs to demand more from builders regarding performance, and less regarding glitz and glamor. Everyone loves the granite counter tops and high ceilings until sky high electric bills start rolling in each month during the summer.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    "If you are not comfortable in your house, then you are not sheltered."

nice line.

Post Likes
    Insulation on the attic is woefully in adequate.
    What's the minimum code where you are? R-19?

Load calcs for cooling should be required on new houses.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    What's the minimum code where you are? R-19?

Load calcs for cooling should be required on new houses.
    Probably. it is a blown in pink fiberglass. but in some area i can see the rafter showing up.

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeiss Nut View Post
    Insulation on the attic is woefully in adequate.

Probably. it is a blown in pink fiberglass. but in some area i can see the rafter showing up.
    Tell them to have 6-8" of cellulose blown over the crap insulation job. May cost $$$ but they probably will get savings and more comfortable house. We did some looking around and calling insulation people, one that did new houses, and got about 2500 sqft roof done with 6" over disrupted fiberglass for $800 2 years ago when houses were still being built. Should be close with no construction going on. Really comfy and quiet too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in