Thread: Zoned System Question

Post Likes

Zoned System Question

Could someone give me a sense of how big of a job (for a pro) it is to convert a standard central air system to a zoned system.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by vegas_guy View Post
    Could someone give me a sense of how big of a job (for a pro) it is to convert a standard central air system to a zoned system.
    uhh, is it a 2 bedroom house

need some info

Post Likes
    Depends on the house, and the current duct work system.

Post Likes
    No it is not a 2 bedroom house. What info do you need? The new "zone" I want created is for a single room that is on the second floor. This room currently has two supplies and one return running to it. What else do you need to know? AC system is Ducane (Heat Pump/AC combo).

Post Likes
    Zoning just a single bedroom by itself, is often not a good thing to do.

Post Likes
    so you just want two zones, #1 the entire house minus one room, and #2 the remaining room?
    I don't do zone controls much other than on some multi-stage commercial units, but that doesn't sound like a good setup. Not a huge fan of most zone setups, personally.

Maybe you could do something to get more or less airflow to that room? Is there a ton of glass (windows) in the room with lots of direct sunlight? If you are wanting more air for this room, or rather, airflow more often with the system running, then I don't think this alone on a zone would be a good idea on the current duct system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck78 View Post
    so you just want two zones, #1 the entire house minus one room, and #2 the remaining room?
    CORRECT

Quote Originally Posted by chuck78 View Post
    Maybe you could do something to get more or less airflow to that room? .
    The room has pleanty of air flow when the unit it is running. Just want to be able to turn it on/off without effecting rest of house.

What would this entail? Would I need a new compressor or does something need to be added to it? Would I need a new air handler or would something need to be added to it? Would the duct need to be modified (near the air handler) in some way?

Post Likes
    If its just a single room I would put in a minisplit, zoning a single room is more trouble then its worth and will cost you more money on your energy bill.
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by green jumper View Post
    If its just a single room I would put in a minisplit, zoning a single room is more trouble then its worth and will cost you more money on your energy bill.
    Wife will never allow a mini-split. She thinks they are ugly (inside and out).

What does creating a zoned solution entail?

Post Likes
    Lots of money.

Get some estimates, and see if you still really want that room zoned.

Post Likes
    Would be cheaper to add a second system just for that room. You could move the t-stat into that room if you want, or get a wireless one and move it around. For that system you have you could probably only have 2 zones and they would have to be of even size and you would have to have a air bypass or dump zone to get rid of some extra air when only one zone is calling.

That equipment is only capable of 1 speed and is very havd on it if you choke it down much.

You can get new equipment that is variable speed and multistage that could do it, but you are talking big $$$. If your current system is old you could consider it, or if you have the money and are willing to spend it!

Post Likes
    zoning a single room is more trouble then its worth and will cost you more money on your energy bill.

EXACTLY what I was trying to say, in less words.

Post Likes
    Wife will never allow a mini-split. She thinks they are ugly (inside and out).

What does creating a zoned solution entail?
    there are lots of air handler designs, ones that look like pictures, ones that look like vents on the ceiling. As far as outdoor they look like any other condenser though smaller and compact
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Post Likes
    there are lots of air handler designs, ones that look like pictures, ones that look like vents on the ceiling. As far as outdoor they look like any other condenser though smaller and compact
    Understood. I can sell her on the vents on the inside, but NO chance of selling her on having something running up the side of the house (from the compressor to the air handler). The room where it would goes is on the 2nd floor.

I am going to go w/ the wireless T-Stat solution.

Thanks for the advice.

Post Likes

I am also looking at retro a zoned system

I have been looking into retro fitting a zoning system into a house that is about 30 years old.

Here is what I know so far...

It is expensive...maybe $ depending on how fancy the system or how much demolishion you have to do to get to the ducts.

There are pneumatic dampers like the type arzel does. There is a damper that goes at the end of each duct and a air tube that goes all the way back to a compressor that operates the dampers.

Plan B is to get access to the ducts...in my case, that means demolishing the ceiling in my basement and replacing it with a false ceiling like in offices. That of course is a no-go. IF it were, the dampers would be electrical.

So then you have these zones and you need to get the air flow balanced for the rooms. Otherwise you just can't cram all the air flow into a bathroom.

The mytemp system hasn't been discussed on this site, but they do have some good videos about what it takes to retro their system. I would imagine Arzel to be similar.

http://www.homecomfortzones.com/media_center/videos.htm
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-04-2009 at 07:59 AM.

Post Likes
    CORRECT

The room has pleanty of air flow when the unit it is running. Just want to be able to turn it on/off without effecting rest of house.
    The Arzel "AloneZone" was designed to do just what you are looking for.

It will allow that "Zone" to be included in the heat/cool cycle of the main t-stat or it can be shut down (dampers closed). That zone will not be allowed to bring the system on by itself.

Shutting down that small zone will have very little if any effect on the systems operation.

A second system...what are you guys thinking?

jcr
    "When you perceive zoning not as a bandage but as an enhancement, you truly understand the dynamics and limitations of forced air heating and cooling"

Post Likes
    I had initially thought the same thing. I also thought that the OP could completely eliminate the zone panel by hiring an HVAC Pro to wire a thermostat directly to a normally open a damper to shut off the room once
    the temperature set point is reached.

However, I noticed that the OP stated he wanted to be able to turn the system "on/off without affecting the rest of the house". This solution along with your suggestion wouldn’t help with turning the system “on” without affecting the rest of the house.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in