Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Zoned System Question

Could someone give me a sense of how big of a job (for a pro) it is to convert a standard central air system to a zoned system.

Quote Originally Posted by vegas_guy View Post
    Could someone give me a sense of how big of a job (for a pro) it is to convert a standard central air system to a zoned system.
    uhh, is it a 2 bedroom house

need some info

Depends on the house, and the current duct work system.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

No it is not a 2 bedroom house. What info do you need? The new "zone" I want created is for a single room that is on the second floor. This room currently has two supplies and one return running to it. What else do you need to know? AC system is Ducane (Heat Pump/AC combo).

Zoning just a single bedroom by itself, is often not a good thing to do.
    Contractor locator map

so you just want two zones, #1 the entire house minus one room, and #2 the remaining room?
    I don't do zone controls much other than on some multi-stage commercial units, but that doesn't sound like a good setup. Not a huge fan of most zone setups, personally.

Maybe you could do something to get more or less airflow to that room? Is there a ton of glass (windows) in the room with lots of direct sunlight? If you are wanting more air for this room, or rather, airflow more often with the system running, then I don't think this alone on a zone would be a good idea on the current duct system.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck78 View Post
    so you just want two zones, #1 the entire house minus one room, and #2 the remaining room?
    CORRECT

Quote Originally Posted by chuck78 View Post
    Maybe you could do something to get more or less airflow to that room? .
    The room has pleanty of air flow when the unit it is running. Just want to be able to turn it on/off without effecting rest of house.

What would this entail? Would I need a new compressor or does something need to be added to it? Would I need a new air handler or would something need to be added to it? Would the duct need to be modified (near the air handler) in some way?

If its just a single room I would put in a minisplit, zoning a single room is more trouble then its worth and will cost you more money on your energy bill.
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Quote Originally Posted by green jumper View Post
    If its just a single room I would put in a minisplit, zoning a single room is more trouble then its worth and will cost you more money on your energy bill.
    Wife will never allow a mini-split. She thinks they are ugly (inside and out).

What does creating a zoned solution entail?

Lots of money.

Get some estimates, and see if you still really want that room zoned.
    Contractor locator map

Would be cheaper to add a second system just for that room. You could move the t-stat into that room if you want, or get a wireless one and move it around. For that system you have you could probably only have 2 zones and they would have to be of even size and you would have to have a air bypass or dump zone to get rid of some extra air when only one zone is calling.

That equipment is only capable of 1 speed and is very havd on it if you choke it down much.

You can get new equipment that is variable speed and multistage that could do it, but you are talking big $$$. If your current system is old you could consider it, or if you have the money and are willing to spend it!

Quote Originally Posted by green jumper View Post
    zoning a single room is more trouble then its worth and will cost you more money on your energy bill.

EXACTLY what I was trying to say, in less words.

Quote Originally Posted by vegas_guy View Post
    Wife will never allow a mini-split. She thinks they are ugly (inside and out).

What does creating a zoned solution entail?
    there are lots of air handler designs, ones that look like pictures, ones that look like vents on the ceiling. As far as outdoor they look like any other condenser though smaller and compact
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast