New England Clambake

Did my first clambake this weekend. Made 5 gallons of seafood chowder, 2 bushels of steamers, boiled shrimp, cherrystones on the half shell, corn on the cob and red bliss potatoes. Along with a couple of hundred beers, it was a great Saturday. Had about 50 people over for the party.

We are having our bake next week end on the 4th. I put salted cod fish in my chowder. I think I posted the recipe here someplace. I have a bushel of little neck clams on order.

The secret of GOOD clams is to never put them submerged in fresh water. THEY LIVE IN THE OCEAN. The night before take them out of the bag and put them in a container. Layer them with a sprinkle of corn meal. Then put them in the refrigerator over night. In the morning give them a good scubbing in cold water. Then put them on ice. Making sure that the water drains away from the melting ice.

They ingest the corn meal and they clean themselves out. The end result is that you have sand-free clams when you open and/or steam them.

PS: Reaper, I'm glad the tradition lives on.

Not many of us yankees left.

I'm gonna try that cornmeal trick. Thanks. With my chowder, I start off with a couple of pounds of thick cut raw bacon and I cook all the fat out. I use that fat to make the roux for the thickening agent. That's my secret.

Wow... a clam bake...... My uncle in Rhode Island had one some long time ago.... I was just a kid then.... All i remember was eating all those steamers with lots of BUTTTEEERRRR!!!

And the chowder was fantastic.....
    Last edited by qssfl; 07-19-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: typo