Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 79
  1. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Can you post a link to the fan data chart?

    .8 is high,what speed was it on when tested and where did you test supply and return,what was the supply and return ESP?
    Can you post pics of the indoor unit and connecting ducts?
    Here is the URL for the technical data sheet for the furnace: Furnace Spec Sheet

    Model Number: G1N80BU100D20C-2A

    The speed was Medium. Supply was 0.19" return was 0.20". Those were both taken by the auditor at the air handler as well. The return was measured before the filter, and by the looks of his diagram, the supply was measured at the coil.

  2. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NW Florida
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by skizot View Post
    Not really sure what you're talking about there. What posts have I made here in the past that says I've made "modifications to the load and mechanics". Either you're reading someone else's posts, or you haven't read my past posts correctly. There seems to have been some poor design on the HVAC company's part that installed the system into this house on several notes. I've discussed these in my past threads on this forum, and got helpful feedback from many. Why would I not talk to the tech about all of them? The more I re-read your post, the less it makes sense to me. I'm not really sure what your point in posting it was. I don't really know why you're making wild assumptions that I'm going to keep quiet and let them try to figure things out without telling them all I know about the system. This isn't a game to me; of course I'm going to discuss in detail all I know about the problem. And when I've given them all of the information I can, and they've looked at the system, I expect them to make recommendations or diagnose the problem, or problems with the system.


    No one has recommended any tech to me. I'm looking to find a competent tech before I shell out $100+ to someone who doesn't even understand static pressure.
    I will tell you this. I know some real good techs that if you start spouting static pressure and some of the other technical terms you have used. In their mind they have already decided that you think you know more than them. So why should they bother helping you.

    I happen to know what static pressure is but do you know what the symptoms are of low static or high static pressures and the best way to check for each without pulling out a manometer.

    The best thing you can do is check with a neighbor or friend on who they use.

    Then call them and sit back and let them do their job. The more you look over their shoulder or quiz them the less cooperation you will get.

  3. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    Quote Originally Posted by skizot View Post
    Here is the URL for the technical data sheet for the furnace: Furnace Spec Sheet

    Model Number: G1N80BU100D20C-2A

    The speed was Medium. Supply was 0.19" return was 0.20". Those were both taken by the auditor at the air handler as well. The return was measured before the filter, and by the looks of his diagram, the supply was measured at the coil.

    Between the coil and furnace or exiting the coil?

    Thought you stated the ESP was .8 in wc.

    If the filter is .35 the return would e more then .20,unless that's the filter in the furnace,as it's included in the fan data.


    Sounding like you may not be getting the cfms you think you are.

  4. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by meoberry View Post
    I will tell you this. I know some real good techs that if you start spouting static pressure and some of the other technical terms you have used. In their mind they have already decided that you think you know more than them. So why should they bother helping you.

    I happen to know what static pressure is but do you know what the symptoms are of low static or high static pressures and the best way to check for each without pulling out a manometer.

    The best thing you can do is check with a neighbor or friend on who they use.

    Then call them and sit back and let them do their job. The more you look over their shoulder or quiz them the less cooperation you will get.
    I don't know everything, nor do I claim to. I can tell you this though, it doesn't take me long to figure out what kind of tech is at my house.

  5. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NW Florida
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by skizot View Post
    1550 CFM and 20" x 12"
    The filter drop was tested right before and right after the filter.
    20x12 way to small. You need at least 525 square inches. On a 3.5 ton unit I would recommend a 20x25 if you have available space.

  6. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by meoberry View Post
    20x12 way to small. You need at least 525 square inches. On a 3.5 ton unit I would recommend a 20x25 if you have available space.
    Thanks. I think I have just enough room for a 20x25. The unit is in the garage, so the area where the water heater and furnace are at is pretty tight

  7. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    Air flow is not taught in many schools,and poorly in some schools,but techs need to know.

    I'd say use a manometer,and the fan data,to many differences between brands/models when it comes to air flow.

  8. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,858
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Air flow is not taught in many schools,and poorly in some schools,but techs need to know.
    That's the truth.
    I got extremely lucky when I learned the trade.
    I apprenticed under an old time master. Learned everything from, sizing the tin, bending the tin, insulating the tin, installing the tin,I mean we did the total job.
    It was like having a personal teacher.
    Lot's of guys here think all the lettered manuals came out in the last five years.
    They didn't.
    So, I guess it would be hard as a home owner to find a throughly educated tech. In reality, there just isn't an over abundance of 'em.

  9. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    586
    I recommend that individuals looking for a good tech ask friends or relative. It is hard to argue with word or mouth.

    Here is a link of things you can do to make the techs job easier
    http://www.residential.carrier.com/s...eservice.shtml

    As far as things that a technician should check just google ac service checklist or something similar. You will find a weatlth of information.
    Installs, Changeouts, & Heat Stroke.....not necessarily in that order

  10. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    386
    Thanks for the reply and link, rubberduck.

  11. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    gods country maui
    Posts
    16
    20x12 is only enough return for about 1 1/2 tons. The first thing about AIRconditioning is AIR until the AIR is right your system will not perform correctly The truth is you need a competent tech to assist you some one who knows airflow try asking company's if they have any NATE certified techs that have taken the air diagnostics NATE test. Of course you could get some one that is book smart and has no common sense but chances are you will get someone qualified to get you on the right track.

    Also no one likes someone breathing down their neck (not saying you will do that) (well it kinda sounds like you will) But seriously I personally like to get the customer involved and watch me work Because they see my worth that way and when they get the bill there is no complaints because they see that I know my $h!t. what im trying to say is that if the tech doesn't want you around or acts frustrated you might wanna get someone else (but dont be rude because he could be new to the trade, and we all started somewhere and it wouldn't be fair to start at your house

    and dont forget to tip we love that

  12. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Twilight Zone
    Posts
    2,964
    Quote Originally Posted by spam'n'rice View Post
    ...and dont forget to tip we love that
    I had doughnuts and OJ for my installers for breakfast.

    For lunch, I made them burgers on the grill, and sausage w/peppers and onions.

    That was my tip.

  13. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Skokie , IL near chicago
    Posts
    1,129

    do u..........

    Quote Originally Posted by spam'n'rice View Post
    20x12 is only enough return for about 1 1/2 tons. The first thing about AIRconditioning is AIR until the AIR is right your system will not perform correctly The truth is you need a competent tech to assist you some one who knows airflow try asking company's if they have any NATE certified techs that have taken the air diagnostics NATE test. Of course you could get some one that is book smart and has no common sense but chances are you will get someone qualified to get you on the right track.

    Also no one likes someone breathing down their neck (not saying you will do that) (well it kinda sounds like you will) But seriously I personally like to get the customer involved and watch me work Because they see my worth that way and when they get the bill there is no complaints because they see that I know my $h!t. what im trying to say is that if the tech doesn't want you around or acts frustrated you might wanna get someone else (but dont be rude because he could be new to the trade, and we all started somewhere and it wouldn't be fair to start at your house

    and dont forget to tip we love that
    put a tip jar on your toolbox???????????....Jack

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event