Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    please post what the tech comes up with..i have the exact same problem i have had mine checked by 2 different companies, and keep getting told its doing all it can, its just hot out.

Quote Originally Posted by bradley wayne View Post
    I just joined this site but if there are alot of jerks like bmatews, I wont be visiting here much.
    My wife tells me I'm an a^^hole. I'm a pretty tough pill to swallow. But that is me. If you need something fixed and don't have time for BS, call me. If you want to be courted, then don't call me. I don't have time for games, time is money, which most people don't realize. To the OP. You probably bought a tract home, they saved $50 for undersizing it. It is honestly probably doing all it can. Good luck with the call. I forgot Mr. Wayne, there are a quite a few more brutal than me on here. Be tough or you will be eaten alive.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

I just joined this site but if there are alot of jerks like bmatews, I wont be visiting here much.
    bye bye

"...I was wondering what all they would/should check for a problem with the A/C not being able to cool the house down to a comfortable temperature..."

not really sure why you are asking this.

i'm hoping for the tech's sake that you explain what your history of the house is in regards to your comfort/discomfort and what modifications you've made to the load and mechanics. Reading your earlier posts it's obvious there's a history here that some techs might see as a red flag and it seems something like an ambush if you're wanting him to hit a home run on the first pitch --especially given you've almost a hundred posts within this forum discussing to a great degree the relevant issues you'll be expecting him to command.

the problem could be anything.

this a tech someone you trust recommended to you, right?

bradley.....

hold up there pardner , you just hold on here and stick around , you'll find that this site is like no other on the net . most all of the experiences you'll have here with us will be pleasant , fun at times , sad at times when one of us has a tragedy or some bad times . in other words you'll feel like you're among friends . don't pass this learning experience!!!! just listen to an old timer , that poster may have been taken out of context or had a bad day , we're here for u 24/7 , welcome aboard , learn what u can and give some back when u can......Jack

you may already know this, but as a general rule you can cool a house 1* an hour.

if it is already 80* before this unit comes on and it is hotter than that outside, then yes it is doing as good as it can.

if you start it earlier, does it get to your desired temp?

17-18* temp split is on the low end of things.

keep everyone posted.

Have you checked the temp across the unit? Temp in house and temp coming from vents?
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by fenian View Post
    "...I was wondering what all they would/should check for a problem with the A/C not being able to cool the house down to a comfortable temperature..."

not really sure why you are asking this.

i'm hoping for the tech's sake that you explain what your history of the house is in regards to your comfort/discomfort and what modifications you've made to the load and mechanics. Reading your earlier posts it's obvious there's a history here that some techs might see as a red flag and it seems something like an ambush if you're wanting him to hit a home run on the first pitch --especially given you've almost a hundred posts within this forum discussing to a great degree the relevant issues you'll be expecting him to command.

the problem could be anything.
    Not really sure what you're talking about there. What posts have I made here in the past that says I've made "modifications to the load and mechanics". Either you're reading someone else's posts, or you haven't read my past posts correctly. There seems to have been some poor design on the HVAC company's part that installed the system into this house on several notes. I've discussed these in my past threads on this forum, and got helpful feedback from many. Why would I not talk to the tech about all of them? The more I re-read your post, the less it makes sense to me. I'm not really sure what your point in posting it was. I don't really know why you're making wild assumptions that I'm going to keep quiet and let them try to figure things out without telling them all I know about the system. This isn't a game to me; of course I'm going to discuss in detail all I know about the problem. And when I've given them all of the information I can, and they've looked at the system, I expect them to make recommendations or diagnose the problem, or problems with the system.

this a tech someone you trust recommended to you, right?
    No one has recommended any tech to me. I'm looking to find a competent tech before I shell out $100+ to someone who doesn't even understand static pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    if you start it earlier, does it get to your desired temp?
    Today I tried for 77 and was able to maintain it. I have not tried starting it early lower than that yet. I will try for 72 tomorrow (setting it in the morning), and see if it can maintain that all day. It looks like the high should only be in the mid 80s tomorrow after this cold front has passed through.

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    Have you checked the temp across the unit? Temp in house and temp coming from vents?
    I got the 17-18* temp split from measuring the supply register closest to the air handler, and by taking an average of all of the returns (upstairs and downstairs). I will measure again tomorrow at the air handler itself.

"What posts have I made here in the past that says I've made "modifications to the load and mechanics". Either you're reading someone else's posts, or you haven't read my past posts correctly."

you set your blower speed.

you remind me of thebilli'llpay

"What posts have I made here in the past that says I've made "modifications to the load and mechanics". Either you're reading someone else's posts, or you haven't read my past posts correctly."

you set your blower speed.

you remind me of thebilli'llpay
    Yes, I set it correctly. The company who installed it had it set on High. Again, that is a question I asked the owner of that company, and he said that they just leave the blower speed for cool and heat on whatever the factory presets on the board are. It's a 5-ton blower. Even with my TESP, that's over 1850 CFM. If you think 1850+ CFM is correct for a 3.5 ton coil, then that's a red flag to me that you don't know what you're talking about.

Fenian, you remind me of the guy who designed and installed this system.

Quote Originally Posted by skizot View Post
    Yes, I set it correctly. The company who installed it had it set on High. Again, that is a question I asked the owner of that company, and he said that they just leave the blower speed for cool and heat on whatever the factory presets on the board are. It's a 5-ton blower. Even with my TESP, that's over 1850 CFM. If you think 1850+ CFM is correct for a 3.5 ton coil, then that's a red flag to me that you don't know what you're talking about.

Fenian, you remind me of the guy who designed and installed this system.
    fair enough. but my ac works.

Going to call up a tech tomorrow. Until then, here's some data from tonight:

Code:
    Time        Outside Temp (RH)    Inside Temp (RH)      SR      Return    Supply   
    5:40 PM          92 (32%)            76.4 (49%)       57.4      76.4       53.4
    6:05 PM          91 (32%)            76.2 (49%)       57.4      76.3       53.0
    6:25 PM          91 (36%)            76.1 (49%)       57.3      76.2       52.8
    7:05 PM          90 (35%)            76.4 (48%)       56.9      75.8       52.2
    7:55 PM          88 (46%)            75.7 (47%)       55.8      74.5       51.2
    8:25 PM          84 (56%)            75.0 (47%)       n/a        n/a        n/a
    SR = Supply register in a room over from the tstat. Return and Supply columns are the return and supply temperatures measured at the air handler. When I came home from work, the AIR on the tstat had gotten it down to 76 and was still running (set to be 76 at 5:30 PM), but I'm not sure how long that took. I changed it from 76 to 74 when I got in. I would think it should have gone from 76.4 to 75.0 a lot quicker than almost 3 hours. Those outside temps and humidity are actually Spring-like compared to what it's been here for the last 2 weeks (the last two weeks are what we'll have a couple of weeks from now).

Note: the slight rise in temp at 7:05 was from cooking dinner (oven).

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast