What to Expect with Service Call
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

What to Expect with Service Call

I plan on having an HVAC tech come out and check out my system sometime soon, and I was wondering what all they would/should check for a problem with the A/C not being able to cool the house down to a comfortable temperature.

I hope he would come out in a service vehicle. Have clothes on and not spewing profanity as he walks up to your house. How should we know what to expect. It depends on what is the matter with it. Talk about a giddy schoolgirl on a first date.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

hopefully with a better attitude than that of the above poster

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    I hope he would come out in a service vehicle. Have clothes on and not spewing profanity as he walks up to your house. How should we know what to expect. It depends on what is the matter with it. Talk about a giddy schoolgirl on a first date.
    Do you have some sort of problem? Maybe I'll put you in touch with the idiot that did the HVAC system for the builder of this home, and you can quickly find out why I'm leery. If the tech showed up to my house with your attitude, I'd give him a few choice words. Do you talk to your clients like that?

Quote Originally Posted by skizot View Post
    Do you have some sort of problem? Maybe I'll put you in touch with the idiot that did the HVAC system for the builder of this home, and you can quickly find out why I'm leery. If the tech showed up to my house with your attitude, I'd give him a few choice words. Do you talk to your clients like that?
    Ease up. I'm giving you a hard time. Nobody on here can tell you what to expect unless we are there. What if the condenser isn't running? What if the condenser fan isn't running and the compressor is? What if everything is running and pressures, superheat and subcooling look ok? And the problem is showing up intermittently? Hopefully you get my drift. There are many different scenarios the tech could experience when he walks up. If somebody on here guides you down one path and it turns up to be something else. You're gonna get all squirrely with the tech and nothing will get accomplished and then come on here complaining about what a bad tech he is. And yes, if I have a customer get weird with me. I will talk to them that way. I don't need people like that questioning everything I'm doing. I will answer reasonable and intelligent questions, other than that I will tell them to back off.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Ease up. I'm giving you a hard time. Nobody on here can tell you what to expect unless we are there. What if the condenser isn't running? What if the condenser fan isn't running and the compressor is? What if everything is running and pressures, superheat and subcooling look ok? And the problem is showing up intermittently? Hopefully you get my drift. There are many different scenarios the tech could experience when he walks up. If somebody on here guides you down one path and it turns up to be something else. You're gonna get all squirrely with the tech and nothing will get accomplished and then come on here complaining about what a bad tech he is. And yes, if I have a customer get weird with me. I will talk to them that way. I don't need people like that questioning everything I'm doing. I will answer reasonable and intelligent questions, other than that I will tell them to back off.
    Get all squirrely? I doubt it. I've learned quite a bit from reading this forum, other forums, and pretty much any piece of HVAC info I can get my hands on (mainly from NCI), so I do know a little bit. No, I don't think I know everything, and probably far from it since this isn't my profession. My point is that I just want to be sure I'm getting a competent tech, because although it may be hard for you to understand, there are plenty of incompetent HVAC techs out there (as there are in any profession). I just want to make sure they're going to do everything they can and should to diagnose the system, and not just try to sell me on another one, or work that isn't necessary. By asking what I should expect, I can better gauge that. Maybe I should have posted the symptoms first.

And as far as coming on here and badmouthing the tech, there shouldn't be any need to do that if they know what they're doing. As an example, I tried to talk to the owner of the HVAC company that installed everything in this house (I didn't have it built, so it was already in when I bought the house). I tried talking static pressure with him, because I've got 0.35" W.C. PD across a brand new blue fiberglass filter (something that should have a 0.05" - 0.10" W.C. PD new, like this one was), and he told me he had no idea what ESP was. I tried talking about the face velocity due to the dimensions of the main return drop, and he told me that I knew more than him (not something you want to hear as the customer, from the professional; they should know far more than I do on the subject, otherwise why would I be talking to them?). People like him give HVAC pros a bad image, and I know that not all of them are like that out there.

As for the symptoms, the system just won't cool the house below 77-78 degrees when it's above 90 outside. I was only able to get it down to 77 today because I set it at 77 and told it to hold the temp all day long. The temp outside right now is 93 with a heat index of 103. The temp split is about 17-18 degrees. The unit is not cycling, and has been running all day long. It only cycled a few times early this morning when the outside temp was in the low 80s. The house is fairly well insulated with R13 in the walls, and R50 in the attic, and has a natural ACH of 0.37. It's a 2300 sq. ft. home with no shading on the West or South (new construction so trees are all too young to provide much shade). The A/C unit is 3.5 ton with a 5-ton air handler. I've set the blower speed at Med. Hi which would be giving me about 1550 CFM due to my TESP (High would be too much air, Med wouldn't be enough; determined from manufacturer's blower performance table).

What kind equipment do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by katohvac View Post
    What kind equipment do you have?
    Furnace
    Brand: Armstrong Air
    Model Number: G1N80BU100D20C-2A

A/C
    Condensing Unit: 2SCU13LE142P-1 (Armstrong Air)
    Coil: EC1P43CM (I couldn't find any information on this coil anywhere online)

As it gets hotter your losing ground your either low on refrigerant or your condenser is dirty, without during a heat load on your house I can not tell if it is size prperly but I would say it is size fine, so I personally would make sure that the tech. that comes to your house be able to put gages on the unit and have the proper temp. tools to do superheat.

The condenser may not look dirty but it may be dirty between the fins, need to wash out with water very well, his gages will tell if the coil is dirty.

With a 2300 sq. house and a 3.5 ton condenser and not much shade-even with good insulation, tempertures in the mid 90s it will be hard to get to the low 70s. How is the infiltration? Seals on the exterior doors, shades on the windows, room ceiling penetrations. very high ceilings or well ventilated attic.
    Blue Fox

Thanks for the info, katohvac.

Quote Originally Posted by lentz View Post
    With a 2300 sq. house and a 3.5 ton condenser and not much shade-even with good insulation, tempertures in the mid 90s it will be hard to get to the low 70s. How is the infiltration? Seals on the exterior doors, shades on the windows, room ceiling penetrations. very high ceilings or well ventilated attic.
    Mid to upper 90s are not uncommon at all during Summer here, and are pretty much the norm during the middle of Summer (I think the design dry bulb temp for this area is 100 for the Summer). Infiltration is not bad at 0.37 natural ACH. It's no where near as tight as it should have been for a new home, but I've done quite a bit to get it down to 0.37. Almost all ceilings are 9', with the family room being vaulted and 13' in the center. The attic has quite a few vents through out (gable, soffit, and static). All door and window seals are fine (everything is new, and I've adjusted a few things here and there as far as the seals go to get things in those areas a little tighter). There are wood blinds on all of the windows, and I keep them closed all day long to keep the sun out.

I've sealed every single penetration inside and out. Eletrical/switch boxes, can lights, fan boxes, smoke detectors, supply boots, to name a few.

I just joined this site but if there are alot of jerks like bmatews, I wont be visiting here much.

Sounds like you have done a good job in getting the house ready for the Tech to come do his thing.
    Good Luck on the getting the house cooler.
    Blue Fox

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast