Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ooops Wrong Address!!!

Not sure how often this happens. Here's the story:

My MIL had been getting quotes to have her furnace and A/C replaced. I had been educating her and really, helping to educate some of the local contractors on how the tax credits work. She was pretty well settled on a particular contractor and a 80k BTU Carrier Infinity 96 furnace with a 2.5 Ton Performance 15 A/C.

She hadn't finalized anything or scheduled installation, but she gets confused easily. Her and her husband don't always communicate well either.

On Monday, another contractors comes to her home and says he's here to replace her system. She figured... well maybe they are subcontracted or something. So she lets them in and they get started. They have the furnace torn out completely and are unpacking the new condenser when my MIL notices it seems like a really large unit. After a few calls... it's realized that they had the wrong address. The client was the previous owners of the home, but they send the installer to the old address.

I figure about 1/3 my MIL's fault for letting them start work when she hadn't even scheduled it and didn't follow-up with the main office. The rest is the fault of the contractor for mixing up the addresses. SHe hadn't even gotten quotes from this company.

So the contractor puts them up in a hotel for the night and installs a temporary air handler to get them A/C for the time being.

Ultimately they are offering her an Infinity ICS furnace and Infinity 21 A/C for almost the same price as her other quote. Based on the details in the quote, I get the impression they may be the closest thing we have the a professional installer (quote actually lists testing the static pressure, flow, temperature and replacing the return and supply plenum). Other line items are very detailed. All other quotes I've seen around here were very vauge. My MIL also said they seemed very professional... for what that's worth.

I give them a big thumbs up for making it right and offering her a sizeable discount on the system. Can't blame the installer. He has an address on his work order, and the owner let them in. I suppose he could have verified the name on the order.

What a sweet deal. Sounds like the contractor went out of his way to make things right. Your MIL is a lucky woman. What a weird coincidense.

That was a great sales tatic.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    That was a great sales tatic.
    LOL. Just show up and get halfway through.

Looks like you found a good contractor, by not even trying to find one.

But are they putting in the 2 ton or 3 ton 21 SEER.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It is in no way the contractors fault. That is very nice of them. Very professional. I hope you give them glowing recommendations to friends and family.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Starting Monday im going to pick the nicest homes i can find, have the sign off on the paperwork a go to town,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe not.
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Sounds like the contractor is bending over backwards to make things right. Now that you found someone honest and capable, take their offer. You don't know what you might end up with if you go elsewhere!

I did a service call in the wrong home once, the dispatcher sent me to the wrong address and a teenage kid answered the door. I asked if his parents were home and he said no, I asked if he was expecting me and he said no. I called the dispatcher to confirm the address and he did, so I went in and serviced the furnace. About half way through the service the kid's mother came home and asked who had sent me, she thought her landlord did... We figured it all out when I was on my way back to my truck and heard another lady yelling and waving me down across the street.

if they did that to my house, they be buying me a new system!

I had a simular circumstance last month, I sent my son ahead with a job sheet to start taking the old system out of a vacant house while I picked up the new furnace & a/c system. When I drove up I was wondering what he was doing parking his truck across the street in the neighbor's drive way, if I've told him once I've told them a thousand times not to park in other people's drive ways. My eyes popped out when I saw him walking out of thier fenced back yard. I parked as quick as I could and asked him how far he had gotten. "I just cut out the condenser" he said. He pushed the contactor in with a pen, on a perfectly good Rheem I might add, and never went in the house or knocked on the door. I told him he better put it back together better and faster than he'd ever done before as I explained to the confused girls that lived there that we had made a mistake and were making it right. I thought this kind of stuff could never happen (nobody's that dumb) and were made up lies old a/c techs told to out do each other, but I'm a believer now. Before he left the shop I told him the unit was under a big willow tree on left side of house, this one was on the right and no tree within 25 feet. I also told him the back door was unlocked because the house was vacant and having a lot of work done to it. The house he went to had a perfectly manacured yard and obviously had people living there not to mention the address was on the mail box and house. Can't kill him, my wife might get made at me, but I bet he never makes that mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by Willserve View Post
    I had a simular circumstance last month, I sent my son ahead with a job sheet to start taking the old system out of a vacant house while I picked up the new furnace & a/c system. When I drove up I was wondering what he was doing parking his truck across the street in the neighbor's drive way, if I've told him once I've told them a thousand times not to park in other people's drive ways. My eyes popped out when I saw him walking out of thier fenced back yard. I parked as quick as I could and asked him how far he had gotten. "I just cut out the condenser" he said. He pushed the contactor in with a pen, on a perfectly good Rheem I might add, and never went in the house or knocked on the door. I told him he better put it back together better and faster than he'd ever done before as I explained to the confused girls that lived there that we had made a mistake and were making it right. I thought this kind of stuff could never happen (nobody's that dumb) and were made up lies old a/c techs told to out do each other, but I'm a believer now. Before he left the shop I told him the unit was under a big willow tree on left side of house, this one was on the right and no tree within 25 feet. I also told him the back door was unlocked because the house was vacant and having a lot of work done to it. The house he went to had a perfectly manacured yard and obviously had people living there not to mention the address was on the mail box and house. Can't kill him, my wife might get made at me, but I bet he never makes that mistake again.
    hillarious story. maybe the girls were cute.
    Last edited by fenian; 06-28-2009 at 12:50 AM. Reason: missed something obvious

Thumbs up That,s too funny

My old boss sent me to a rural address once, except he didn,t give me the house number, it was like "ya go down route twenty, and it,s the third house on the left after the gas station"
    I get to the house and nobody home, so I radio my boss, and he says , " look for an open window, go in and unlock the door and do the install"
    I laughed my ass off, Told him I didn,t know if the house was alarmed, had two hungry pitt bulls inside, but I wasnt going in, he yelled at me for about five minutes and said fine, he,d come out and do it.
    The neighbors to the actual install site are very Happy now, after having a new furnace and Central air installed at no cost to them.
    I,m still grinning about that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast