Cold Climate Mode on Heat N Glow Escape 42

I have the Heat N Glow Escape 42 natural gas fireplace. I really like it but when not on for awhile there is cold air coming in at the top and the ceramic tile in front of the fireplace stays cold when temperature gets in 30's and below.
    Would it hurt to just let in run in the cold climate mode which keeps the pilot light lit all the time?
    This has the intellifire but I would only do this when it is real cold.

You should not be getting cold air coming into your fireplace. If you do, then it was improperly installed. There may be an issue with the way the cavity in which the firebox was installed and not properly sealed and/or insulated.

As far as leaving it in cold weather mode, you will burn more fuel when it is in that mode, but I don't see any issue with that.

Check back often, JTP is better suited to guide thru the pros and cons of the intellifire system.

Running the pilot will cost you about $10 - $15 a month. It will keep the firebox itself warmer. This helps with radiant cold coming through the glass. If you have a draft coming through the fireplace this is probably due to air leaking into the house behind the fireplace, and then getting into the living space through the fireplace.

Also make sure your glass is fully secured all the way around, that unit has 3 clips on each side if any are off you can get a draft from there.

There is a construction issue with the chase around the fireplace. The cold climate switch is used to keep the chimney warm enough in extremely cold weather to maintain draft.

My fireplace is installed in an outside wall built just for the fireplace with it own roof. I am sure the contractor did not insulate this well enough.
    But it would be cheaper for me to just run the pilot light when it is very cold to keep down the cold air draft and cold ceramic tile around the front of the fireplace.

It would cost a lot to tear off the siding and re- insulate. I will be happy to pay 10 to 15 dollars to keep this area a little warmer when not in use. My heat pump would also pull cold air from this area when very cold. This should help a lot. I did not know I even had a cold climate mode until I discovered by accident.
    I really do like this fireplace as it will put out a lot of heat and can be used when there is no electricity.

Steve the cold climate sw will do very little to stop your cold air issue. The person recommending you run the pilot did qualify that it only helps with a cold glass issue not the cold air issue you described. If you run the pilot with the expectation of it stopping the cold air issue you will be disappointed with the result..........Good Luck

$15 a month doesn't seem like a lot of money, but multiply that times 5 months a year ($75) times 10 years($750) and add in the heat loss from the air leakage and it costs you a lot of money to NOT do it the proper way.

Pull the siding and sheathing off so you have access to the area behind your fireplace. Insulation isn't that expensive and you can reuse the siding and sheathing if you are careful when you remove it. You and a buddy can do it in just a few hours and beers.....less hours if you save the beers for after you are done.