Looking for advice on two-stage furnace

I am considering purchasing a two-stage furnance from either Heil or Goodman. However, in reading material related to the models, it seemed to me that the two-stage Goodman actually went from stage 1 to stage 2 on a timer, rather than by temp or some other computerized sensor. The Heil model seem to switch from stage one to stage two based on temp/heating needs, rather than a timer. Am I misresading or misunderstanding the material on these two units? In terms of quality/reliability, any recommendations? Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by siggy View Post
    I am considering purchasing a two-stage furnance from either Heil or Goodman. However, in reading material related to the models, it seemed to me that the two-stage Goodman actually went from stage 1 to stage 2 on a timer, rather than by temp or some other computerized sensor. The Heil model seem to switch from stage one to stage two based on temp/heating needs, rather than a timer. Am I misresading or misunderstanding the material on these two units? In terms of quality/reliability, any recommendations? Thanks a lot.
    Most2 stage units will operate based on need, if controlled by a 2 stage stat.

I believe (not carved in stone) that one or more Goodman models may be timer, only.

Amp

Depends on the thermostat. If the thermostat is a compatible two stage thermostat then the Goodman should ramp up based on heating need. With a single stage thermostat, the furnace can use two stage s on the timer.