Thread: Trane 40 ton rtu reciprocating compressor ???

Post Likes

Trane 40 ton rtu reciprocating compressor ???

I have 18-20 year old 40 ton (dual recip hermetic comprssor w/ unloaders) Trane rtu that cracked the factory compressor 90 degree bend out of the compressor dicharge. I have since re-piped the discharge, replaced filter drier, and evacuated the system to 400 microns. Recharged unit and start up compressor has a very bad vibration/shake. I feel it's just going to break the tubbing again. Is it time for a new compressor ? What would just one do this ? Could something internally have lost balance ? Thanks

Post Likes
    you probably busted a rod. it will not make it around to breaking the next tubing. you will most likely go out on oil failure and then buy a whole new compressor. is it a hermetic or semi-hermetic? you say that it is a hermetic, but if it is a semi-hermetic, then, right now you have a chance where you could buy the parts to salvage it...you need to open up the compressor and inspect the running train. you will not be able to balance anything.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    you probably busted a rod. it will not make it around to breaking the next tubing. you will most likely go out on oil failure and then buy a whole new compressor. is it a hermetic or semi-hermetic? you say that it is a hermetic, but if it is a semi-hermetic, then, right now you have a chance where you could buy the parts to salvage it...you need to open up the compressor and inspect the running train. you will not be able to balance anything.
    It's a hermetic (sealed compressor), and when it was running the compression ratio was pretty low, which would make sense if one of the rods broke.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 10yrtech View Post
    It's a hermetic (sealed compressor)...
    get the model number and order a new one...not much that you can do about it now although, if it is not under warranty...grind off the weld and look inside!
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 10yrtech View Post
    It's a hermetic (sealed compressor), and when it was running the compression ratio was pretty low, which would make sense if one of the rods broke.
    Wow, that would be a model K compressor. Do they even make or reman those anymore? I've only seen a few in the field. It's the same as an "M", but vertically oriented and sealed in a can.
    Low Pressure Forever!

If you know heavy metal, you can work anywhere-Dave Andreson

Anchors Aweigh my boys, Anchors Aweigh!
    Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day. Through our last night on shore, Drink to the foam. Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

Post Likes
    Your local Parts Center can get ya one. They are tough and the unit's steel will usually rot away before too many compressor failures. Good luck and check the discharge king valve. Seen a few fail closed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in