Expectations too high?

I just had a new system installed, Trane 21/2ton with an XV95 furnace and the clean effects. I was hoping with the new system IT would not run all day long, but so far it has been.. Granted it has been HOT. 98 I think today. also it is set to over cool for humidity which I know makes it run longer, but it doesn't even get it to the set temp and the humidity is actually getting higher. Was at 45% an hour ago now up to 53%.

What I want to know, Generally speaking, what can I realistically expect as for as cooling and humidity lvls when it is 98 out side and 58% humidity?

Oh also the contractor ran a duct through where my old flu pipe used to be, and it is sweating like crazy. Should this be insulated since it is in the walls and open to the attic? They ran metal through the hole, and then tied into it with insulated flex to run new vents to the living area.

The industry standard is to maintain 75° on what would be your area's hottest day of the year. If you are oversized, you can do better than 75°. Keeping humidity under 55% doesn't sound too bad to me. If you aren't keeping up at mid 70s or above could be a sizing issue. Running all day and being comfy isn't a problem.

The duct that is sweating should be insulated.

That would explain it then.. 72 when it is 98 out just isn't reasonable to expect. What would you recommend leaving the humidity setting on? I think right now it is at 45%.

Ok I am confused with the humidity control aspect of things. Today it is 97 degrees witha heat index of 106. The house is staying at 70, with the AC running non stop basically. The humidity outside is 46%, yet in my house it has yet to get below 55%? Am I missing something? I thought that it was supposed to reduce my Humidity level?

Remember that we are talking RELATIVE humidity. That measures the % of humidity in the air relative to the temperature. Hot air can hold so much more humidity than cooler air can. So while the RH% is lower outside, there is considerably more humidity in the air than inside. So really your A/C is doing great! Oversized!

Might need a little fine tunning charge wise. Or its CFM settings adjusted.

But, its not doing bad, from the description of your current weather conditions.

PS: Did they seal aroud where that ducts goes through your old chimney. If not, might be getting some extra fresh air infiltration from it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

When the outside temperture is above the design temperture it is going to run a lot. The 55 RH% inside ain't bad.
    Blue Fox

So what should I keep the humidity set to? Right now it is at 45%, but the AC runs forever even after I hit my set temp, because it hardly ever gets under 50%. I figured I would just set it at 50% but wanted to get an opinion from a Pro. My next step after it cools down is to tighten up the home some. I have a closet that gets pretty warm, so air must be leaking in from the attic there. Just got to figure out a good way to seal it up.

Seal the house first.

Then it should be able to handle removing the humidity.

The blower speed probably isn't set correctly. Have your contractor come out and check/reset it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?