Rheem classic 90 contour - motor shot???

Hello,

Need help with a sanity check relative to what I am hearing. My Rheem classic 90 contour just stopped working on me. Had pro look at it and am told that the motor is shot. Board appears to be getting signals for fan to come on, but nothing is moving from there and spits at an error signal.

Was told that with these motors, you have to order whole motor, not just the "cone", because its modulating. Also told that may need a board, but appears to be working. Labor excluded, can anyone give me an idea of whether ~$ is a reasonable price for the motor and whether you do indeed need the whole thing not just the cone.

Currently checking with a friend to see if serial will tell us if its in warranty, but wanted as many opinions as i can get before deciding.

Actually considering redoing the system, so dont want to throw good money after a bad system (out of context to my question of above)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by beenthere; 06-25-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Removed price

Removed your price. Please read site rules thank you.

3. No pricing questions please

Only people who actually see your job can price it accordingly. There will be no pricing allowed in the public access areas of this site. Please do not ask for or give pricing comparative information.
    Posts of this type will be deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

you can just call rheem and see if its under warranty....but i would always replace the whole motor, but you can ask tech to look for aftermarket parts
    Jason J Saylor
    Pinellas County Schools
    HVAC Tech
    Pinellas County Florida

"You will encounter many distractions and many temptations to put your goals aside: The security of a job, a wife who wants kids, Whatever. But if you hang in there, always following your vision, I have no doubt you will succeed.
    Larry Flynt quote