Thread: Bard Geothermal

Bard Geothermal

This was originally posted in another thread by Ralphs.

I have a one year old Bard geo open loop pump and dump 4 ton unit.I am overall satisfied although I expected greater savings [ we're saving 30% -previous system was propane]. Our problem has been that the auxiliary heat [electric resistance] comes on excessively.AS an example,a couple of weeks ago the outside temperature was 63 degrees.The thermostat was set at 64 degrees.When the thermostat called for heat, the aux. heat came on.I turned the thermostat off and then back on, and it called for regular heat.Last winter the unit used aux.heat when outside temp. was as high as 50 degrees.My installer has tried numerous settings of the thermostat to no avail.Any ideas ? Thanks , Ralph

T-Stat

Ralph,

What thermostat are you using. Please be specific.

Bergy

It is a Bard,but has no identification other than a upc label.It is the thermostat recommended by Bard.The contractor had installed another brand originally and the aux.heat was coming on about 50% of the time the furnace was running.Bard told the contractor the thermostat was the problem and to install the Bard therm.they would send him.He installed it , and it is much better ,but not right[imho].

Any ideas

For a pump and dump, surprised your installer even installed aux heat. Ask him/her to install a disconnect switch (or circuit breaker). Maybe turn on when it get below -40.

Simply take a outdoor thermostat switch that only allows auxiliary heat below your choice of set point.

the Bard unit has a breaker for the aux. heat so I can turn it off.However,it does no good,because the thermostat is still calling for aux. heat,but since the breaker is off,there is no aux. heat and the blower goes to max.speed.anyway. It is a system problem that Bard will have to solve,but so far they haven't.I had the installer out a while back,but he said he can do nothing until heating season begins [Nov], so I guess I'm on hold.