How do these two heat pumps compare? Carrier 25HBB336A003 and Rheem Model RPNL036JAZ

How do these two 13 SEER heat pumps compare? These have been proposed by a local contractor.
    Carrier 25HBB336A003
    Rheem Model RPNL036JAZ

Each would be paired with a matching coil fitted to my existing furnace. Yes, I know I will not be getting a tax credit. I'm only interested in the relative merits of each of these.

The Carrier would run a few hundred $ more. What else should I consider when copmparing these two?

I wouldn't spend the extra money for a Carrier base grade model over a more premium Rheem unit. Both should do the job well, however. The 25HBB3 actually has high/low pressure controls and a scroll compressor, so it is a good unit. The Rheem has better coil protection.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I wouldn't spend the extra money for a Carrier base grade model over a more premium Rheem unit. Both should do the job well, however. The 25HBB3 actually has high/low pressure controls and a scroll compressor, so it is a good unit. The Rheem has better coil protection.
    This Rheem model doesn't have the high/low pressure controls and a scroll compressor? I thought they all had scroll compressors.

What do you mean by better coil protection on the Rheem?

Looking at the specs I thought these were both base units.
    Last edited by garya505; 06-24-2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: add

Yes, the Rheem does have those features. I was just saying that despite the Carrier being base grade it does have important features like pressure protection/scroll compressor.

Better coil protection meaning louvered paneling not exposed fins with a wire guard (Carrier 25HBB3).

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Yes, the Rheem does have those features. I was just saying that despite the Carrier being base grade it does have important features like pressure protection/scroll compressor.

Better coil protection meaning louvered paneling not exposed fins with a wire guard (Carrier 25HBB3).
    Ah, I see. I'm leaning towards the Rheem.

bjwillisco

Can I join this discussion?
    I have a small 5th Floor Condo in Florida, with a 10 year old a/c system that is due for retirement. The A coil, including electric heating fits in the (small) air handler, above the electric heated water tank, in a cupboard in the hall, and the outdoor unit is on the roof (11th floor). I have installed quotes (including permit/taxes) from Contractor A for a Carrier 25HCB530A003 + FV4BNFoo2000 + KFCEH0501NO5 heat strip and Carrier Edge Control thermostat for $; or a Trane 4TWR4030C1000A + 4TEE3F31B10000A + BAYHTR1405000A + Honeywell Focus Pro5000-HP for $.
    Contractor B is offering the Rheem RPNL036JAZ + RHSLHM3617JA + unnamed digital heatpump thermostat (AND a new humidistat) for .

Your expert views on the +s & -s, what to watch out for, and a recommendation would be much appreciated by this unknowing Englishman.
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-07-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Removed prices

Can't talk about price per site rules, but that doesn't seem to be part of your question so much. The Carrier setup is good, but I recommend the FV4BNF002T00 air handler, as it includes the tin-plated coil. I think it's pretty much standard in Florida now--seems to be that way in MD as well. The Carrier qualifies for the 30% federal tax credit, while the Trane and Rheem do not. All are comparable systems, except the Rheem lacks the variable speed air handler which is good to have. Compare warranties. When registered, the Trane should have a 10-year parts warranty--possibly the same for Carrier as well.