Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Imma do all that I can in order to better myself in this field. Do you know any books, online traning, etc. that you recommend?

he's right if you want to get an idea on steam systems Dan Holohans websight (heatinghelp.com) is a great sight and his book the lost art of steam heating is killer, all his books are great

Hey Bud, my guess is you were making them more money doing installs and now your learning the service side and it takes time. Doing installs is fine, I think it's a young mans game thou, I agree with the other guys, go online get the manuals of the stuff your seeing and read read read. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ccut View Post
    Hey Bud, my guess is you were making them more money doing installs and now your learning the service side and it takes time. Doing installs is fine, I think it's a young mans game thou, I agree with the other guys, go online get the manuals of the stuff your seeing and read read read. good luck.
    You might be right. But it would be nice to show some kind of appreciation if that is the case. All I want to do is to better myself in order to be a better person in this field.

Seems like most of the guys I have worked with in the past dont want to help the new guys ,and try to make them look bad to make themselfs look better . my problem is I get yelled at because my phone bill is so high due to helping the apprentices , I work for the factory now so it seems like most of the mechanics are like me ,older guys that try to help the younger guys ,most of the guys I work with now also teach at the Union Hall so maybe thats why there willing to help

Quote Originally Posted by sidecarr View Post
    Seems like most of the guys I have worked with in the past dont want to help the new guys ,and try to make them look bad to make themselfs look better . my problem is I get yelled at because my phone bill is so high due to helping the apprentices , I work for the factory now so it seems like most of the mechanics are like me ,older guys that try to help the younger guys ,most of the guys I work with now also teach at the Union Hall so maybe thats why there willing to help
    All I wanna do is to better myself. If somebody would give a chance, they will not be disappointed.

*Update* I found a few companies that are willing let me do service work even though I only have about a yr. of experience. I went back and told the guys that I work for my 2 week notice now they want to work with me in transfering me to the service dept. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by HVACSvc08 View Post
    *Update* I found a few companies that are willing let me do service work even though I only have about a yr. of experience. I went back and told the guys that I work for my 2 week notice now they want to work with me in transfering me to the service dept. What do you think?
    My thought is what happens the next time you want to better yourself. Will you have to go through this all over again. I guess yes.

JMO
    If you help others then you are a Success

Personally I would stay were your at and see how it works as far as them teching you service work. You can always go to the other shops if it does not work out.

It always looks greener on the other side of the fence ....... you just never really know what it is really like when you go to a new shop.

Sure they tried keeping you doing what made them more money ..... do you blame them LOL

Can't really fault them for that .Union shop I started out as an apprentice was full of small groups that were pretty much enimies with each other and if you were no on their side all the way ........ you were considered an outsider . There was no way you could be on all their sides so you were a punching bag to all of them

Thats just a fact with any large union shops ........ thats their mentality that its all aboout them and that they want to make themselves look smarter then anyone coming up.

They will stab you in the back anytime you are not looking and do everything to cause a high turn over rate with the guys coming up being that makes them more valuable being there is a high turnover rate.

Its just something you have to live with. You will see over time that a lot of those old guys that would not give you the time of dayand did nothing to help you along in your training will ............ become bitter old men that really sre as not as smart as they thought they were .

Now I can look back at the ones I was around 30 years ago when I was starting out ........ a lot were just total losers that had a card and a sad excuse for a life that consisted of doing anything to make themselves look good no mater what young apprentice coming up got his career side tracked.

Best thing I can tell you is put head up , keep going forward ......... and don't take it personal. The jerks you are seeing in your way will get their own payback in the long run without you having to worry about it.

Your just seeing a common practice in a lot of large shops that whats going on is usally not in the bosses eye and he has no control or a lot of times doesn't care especially if it is union. It seems as if it is a union thing , a lot of bosses just let them sort it out themselves being it doesnt help jumping in

Quote Originally Posted by HVACSvc08 View Post
    Keep your future goals in mind also....is there something you want to do beyond service?? Just because a new company is willing to give you service experience doesn't mean they are willing to help you get past that if you so desire.....

I agree with the above post though, if you have to threaten to leave to get what you want, you'll have to continue doing it in the future....

I think this step to service would be a great one for you, but make sure that this step isn't a side step or even a step back when it comes to the company you chose....

I worked hard and interviewed at about 6 places before taking my last job and this is the first place I have been where my boss (owner) trusts me and likes my work to the point where he is giving me anything I want or need to help grow the business....

I worked for my last company for 3 years.....I was hired as an installer, in my original interview I told the boss I would do install until a service position became available and then wanted to work myself into a selling technician....he said, "no problem"......after 2 1/2 years I had done everything he asked of me, hit all my numbers and was ready to start selling and this was his response.....

"Well, you have progressed too fast, I can't train you to sell because what is going to happen next? If you get good at sales, you might want to move on and I can't keep training people to leave"

I turned in my 2 weeks notice......about 30 seconds later.....dumb a$$!!!
    I need a new signature.....

The installation dept was slow for a while and they had me go to do service. While I was there, I rode with service that was on-call for free so I can pick some tricks and learn as much as I could. When I was told to go back to installation and told them that I would like to transfer to service, I have been getting dirty looks, bad comments about me behind my back, etc. writing me up for stupid stuff( I don't have anything negative in my file). This is crazy. All of this b/c I want to better myself? It can't be that serious.I wanna be able to move up just like anybody else. I have all the necessary certifications like anybody else but I can't get a straight-up answer on why I can't transfer.

My first job in this field ,I was a service guy , but wanted to learn installs just so I could be well rounded , after two years of asking to be trained I found another job ,went to quit my boss tranfered me to installs ,as soon as it got busy I was back in service ,only instalers didnt get company vehicles ,so I was doing service in my own truck. quit there and went to another shop where I did service again , thing is your shop may put you in service for a while till the other job goes away ,but beware it may just be waiting till you dont have the other job for an option.
    dec seems like your really bitter, ive worked at shops with teams (both union and non). lot of shops have guys that feal their entitled its not just union . the worse one I worked at was nonunion there was two groups of guys ,was told since I worked with one of the other guys I wasnt a team player (his team ) told them I didnt know there were teams said I thought we worked for the same company . theres jerks everywhere you go, you just have to find a shop your happy with ,most service guys dont really work with other mechanics to much .HVACSvc08 sounds like if you stay at your current job youll really be jerked around , if their giving you a hard time about wanting to transfer just think of how it will be if you stay after threatening to quit
    You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was

Quote Originally Posted by sidecarr View Post
    My first job in this field ,I was a service guy , but wanted to learn installs just so I could be well rounded , after two years of asking to be trained I found another job ,went to quit my boss tranfered me to installs ,as soon as it got busy I was back in service ,only instalers didnt get company vehicles ,so I was doing service in my own truck. quit there and went to another shop where I did service again , thing is your shop may put you in service for a while till the other job goes away ,but beware it may just be waiting till you dont have the other job for an option.
    dec seems like your really bitter, ive worked at shops with teams (both union and non). lot of shops have guys that feal their entitled its not just union . the worse one I worked at was nonunion there was two groups of guys ,was told since I worked with one of the other guys I wasnt a team player (his team ) told them I didnt know there were teams said I thought we worked for the same company . theres jerks everywhere you go, you just have to find a shop your happy with ,most service guys dont really work with other mechanics to much .HVACSvc08 sounds like if you stay at your current job youll really be jerked around , if their giving you a hard time about wanting to transfer just think of how it will be if you stay after threatening to quit
    I think what bothers me the most is that I can't get a straight answer or reason. Now I get all of the good compliments from everybody including customers. But, when I ask the question" Can I transfer to the service dept?" It's is like I asked them the question in another language that they don't understand and I don't get an answer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast