What's up with Jim Beam ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersfan1 View Post
    PHM: I'll have to look for Heaven Hill. I have never seen or heard of that brand before.

Another whiskey that I like that is a little cheaper than Beam is Early Times. I can tell a difference between Beam and Early but for the price difference it is all good.

Canadian Hunter for cheap for me...... Beam Rye is a treat!

My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I did try that Rye -

And I did finish the bottle. But . . . I never bought another one. <g>

It was sort of the difference between a Scotch whiskey (single) and an Irish Whiskey. Irish whiskeys seem to have a somewhat more 'ragged' edge to them. Whereas the Scotchs are smoother.

The standard Jim Beam was just smoother to me that the Rye.

You look for Heaven Hill - I'll look for some Canadian Hunter. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Canadian Hunter for cheap for me...... Beam Rye is a treat!

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    And I did finish the bottle. But . . . I never bought another one. <g>

It was sort of the difference between a Scotch whiskey (single) and an Irish Whiskey. Irish whiskeys seem to have a somewhat more 'ragged' edge to them. Whereas the Scotchs are smoother.

The standard Jim Beam was just smoother to me that the Rye.

You look for Heaven Hill - I'll look for some Canadian Hunter. <g>

PHM
    --------

Funny, I waaay prefer Irish. then Tennessee. Wont even drink Scotch.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Jim Beam Rye

Spotts: Is Jim Beam Rye available where you live??? I've never seen that at any bars or liquor stores around Indy?

Speaking of Irish whiskeys one of the best I have had was Bushmills 16year old. Its pretty pricey, but the taste is excellent.

Even single malts ?

Blended scotchs blow. But the single malts are often wonderful and ultra smooth.

I used to have a customer who was a buyer for a US distributor. His job was literally to travel all over the British Isles sipping whiskey and buying it. His house had a room like a library but with bottles instead of books. He was always excited about some new 'discovery' - here try this. And here; try this one. Amazing isn't it? Now try this; it's even better.

Eventually - thanks for coming out - here; take a few bottles with you.

I always had to make his the last call of the day. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Funny, I waaay prefer Irish. then Tennessee. Wont even drink Scotch.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Jim beam Rye, Candiana hunter, Heaven hills, I know of all of those. I can actualy go up the road to the local meijer and buy all of them.
    heaven hills is like bellows. they distill alot of different kinds of liquors.
    For a bourbon might I suggest trying old crow.
    also you can't go wrong with OLD GRANDDAD

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Oh what the hell; I was going to tell you a short story but it goes back farther and so will be longer -

When I was 18 and first going out to bars legally I would often be bored and drink too fast which led to 'too much'. As a way around this I started to try all the types of booze - to find the one that I liked the least. It was bourbon and I disliked it the most with water.

So that became my Standard Drink. It was awful and so I wouldn't drink it very fast. This worked out much better for me.

Of course fast-forward to now and the only whiskey I drink is bourbon. <g>

For many years that has been Jim Beam. But the price started going up and going up until one time I said: I like Jim Beam but $28. a bottle is just too damned much. So I reached down a shelf and bought a bottle of Heaven Hill for $15. instead.

At home it seemed 'close enough' and I continued to drink it. Friends and neighbors and customer often bring me bourbon and know I drink Jim Beam so that's what they bring.

One night not too long ago I started to make a drink and saw the Heaven Hill was open but the Jim Beam wasn't. That made me pause and in that second I thought:

Taste Test !

So I made identical drinks. Counted the ice cubes - the whole nine: two identical drinks.

Unfortunately in my giddiness over how smart I was I forgot to keep track of which was which:

Originally each was next to the bottle it had been poured from. But, being a part-time idiot, and apparently on-duty at the time, I then said: Oh; may as well put these bottles away. . . . and then had no idea which drink was which. <g>

Nonetheless, both were consumed, alternate sip by alternate sip, and a conclusion reached - zero discernible difference.

So now I buy Heaven Hill and drink only free Jim Beam.

Makers Mark is like a really great sound system. I'm sure there's a difference - but this $50. boom box sounds perfectly fine to me. <g>

PHM
    --------
    Mikey:

That was a great story.

Thanx for the laughs.

Take care.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12