+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's up with Jim Beam ?

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

What's up with Jim Beam ?

It used to say: Made From A Formula on the label.

I just noticed that it doesn't now. When did they change that?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    uh oooo 10;25 on a friday night and mikes posting about whiskey, whats uuuuuuup Mike
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes

I go out to dinner every Friday -

Standard would be: a bottle of wine with dinner and then home to sip another bottle.

The service was a little slow and I took my time cleaning my own bronzino. So I opened the second bottle at dinner. Then we finished the second half at home but it seemed like a bit of a gip - half a bottle a home.

Oddly; drinking whiskey is OK - but opening another bottle of wine is Not acceptable! Of course this is all being dictated by a woman - so who can say? <g>

And as I sipped bourbon I noticed the bottle. It used to say: Made From a Formula

Now it doesn't.

Why is that?

And when did it happen?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    uh oooo 10;25 on a friday night and mikes posting about whiskey, whats uuuuuuup Mike
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    rotflmao

Post Likes
    Man i dont eve drink but ive got to come party with you

Vero Beach, Fl - Goshen, NY and Lake Norman, NC
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    It used to say: Made From A Formula on the label.

I just noticed that it doesn't now. When did they change that?
    When they started making it in China?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bjones View Post
    When they started making it in China?
    Dude dont hash his chill Mikeys groovin.

Post Likes
    Mikey, your innards won't last mixing cheap whiskey and bikes.
    The solution is simply switch to Makers Mark.

Years ago Jack Daniel's label said their whiskey was 8 years old. Then they stopped labeling that. I don't know if it's even old at all.

I never heard of that wine protocol. I'll check with Miss Manners.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes

Beam label

I hadn't noticed the difference in wording, but now that you pointed it out I think you may be right. There may be a labeling change, but I have been drinking Beam regularly for about 10 years and I haven't noticed any taste difference. So, hopefully the only difference is the label.

HVACKER: you are right on about Makers Mark. If I have some extra money that is always a first choice for me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersfan1 View Post
    I hadn't noticed the difference in wording, but now that you pointed it out I think you may be right. There may be a labeling change, but I have been drinking Beam regularly for about 10 years and I haven't noticed any taste difference. So, hopefully the only difference is the label.

HVACKER: you are right on about Makers Mark. If I have some extra money that is always a first choice for me.
    Or Knob Creek.

Post Likes

Taste Test -

Oh what the hell; I was going to tell you a short story but it goes back farther and so will be longer -

When I was 18 and first going out to bars legally I would often be bored and drink too fast which led to 'too much'. As a way around this I started to try all the types of booze - to find the one that I liked the least. It was bourbon and I disliked it the most with water.

So that became my Standard Drink. It was awful and so I wouldn't drink it very fast. This worked out much better for me.

Of course fast-forward to now and the only whiskey I drink is bourbon. <g>

For many years that has been Jim Beam. But the price started going up and going up until one time I said: I like Jim Beam but $28. a bottle is just too damned much. So I reached down a shelf and bought a bottle of Heaven Hill for $15. instead.

At home it seemed 'close enough' and I continued to drink it. Friends and neighbors and customer often bring me bourbon and know I drink Jim Beam so that's what they bring.

One night not too long ago I started to make a drink and saw the Heaven Hill was open but the Jim Beam wasn't. That made me pause and in that second I thought:

Taste Test !

So I made identical drinks. Counted the ice cubes - the whole nine: two identical drinks.

Unfortunately in my giddiness over how smart I was I forgot to keep track of which was which:

Originally each was next to the bottle it had been poured from. But, being a part-time idiot, and apparently on-duty at the time, I then said: Oh; may as well put these bottles away. . . . and then had no idea which drink was which. <g>

Nonetheless, both were consumed, alternate sip by alternate sip, and a conclusion reached - zero discernible difference.

So now I buy Heaven Hill and drink only free Jim Beam.

Makers Mark is like a really great sound system. I'm sure there's a difference - but this $50. boom box sounds perfectly fine to me. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Mikey, your innards won't last mixing cheap whiskey and bikes.
    The solution is simply switch to Makers Mark.

Years ago Jack Daniel's label said their whiskey was 8 years old. Then they stopped labeling that. I don't know if it's even old at all.

I never heard of that wine protocol. I'll check with Miss Manners.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes

Taste test

PHM: I'll have to look for Heaven Hill. I have never seen or heard of that brand before.

Another whiskey that I like that is a little cheaper than Beam is Early Times. I can tell a difference between Beam and Early but for the price difference it is all good.

Post Likes
    I have been a scotch drinker for a very long time but when I got tired of seeing "Made In China" and made somewhere else I got to thinking. What if with a little effort I could drink something from here. Like Kentucky. So I did and I like it fine. Kentucky straight Bourbons.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersfan1 View Post
    PHM: I'll have to look for Heaven Hill. I have never seen or heard of that brand before.

Another whiskey that I like that is a little cheaper than Beam is Early Times. I can tell a difference between Beam and Early but for the price difference it is all good.

Canadian Hunter for cheap for me...... Beam Rye is a treat!

My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes

I did try that Rye -

And I did finish the bottle. But . . . I never bought another one. <g>

It was sort of the difference between a Scotch whiskey (single) and an Irish Whiskey. Irish whiskeys seem to have a somewhat more 'ragged' edge to them. Whereas the Scotchs are smoother.

The standard Jim Beam was just smoother to me that the Rye.

You look for Heaven Hill - I'll look for some Canadian Hunter. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Canadian Hunter for cheap for me...... Beam Rye is a treat!

PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    And I did finish the bottle. But . . . I never bought another one. <g>

It was sort of the difference between a Scotch whiskey (single) and an Irish Whiskey. Irish whiskeys seem to have a somewhat more 'ragged' edge to them. Whereas the Scotchs are smoother.

The standard Jim Beam was just smoother to me that the Rye.

You look for Heaven Hill - I'll look for some Canadian Hunter. <g>

PHM
    --------

Funny, I waaay prefer Irish. then Tennessee. Wont even drink Scotch.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes

Jim Beam Rye

Spotts: Is Jim Beam Rye available where you live??? I've never seen that at any bars or liquor stores around Indy?

Speaking of Irish whiskeys one of the best I have had was Bushmills 16year old. Its pretty pricey, but the taste is excellent.

Post Likes

Even single malts ?

Blended scotchs blow. But the single malts are often wonderful and ultra smooth.

I used to have a customer who was a buyer for a US distributor. His job was literally to travel all over the British Isles sipping whiskey and buying it. His house had a room like a library but with bottles instead of books. He was always excited about some new 'discovery' - here try this. And here; try this one. Amazing isn't it? Now try this; it's even better.

Eventually - thanks for coming out - here; take a few bottles with you.

I always had to make his the last call of the day. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Funny, I waaay prefer Irish. then Tennessee. Wont even drink Scotch.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Jim beam Rye, Candiana hunter, Heaven hills, I know of all of those. I can actualy go up the road to the local meijer and buy all of them.
    heaven hills is like bellows. they distill alot of different kinds of liquors.
    For a bourbon might I suggest trying old crow.
    also you can't go wrong with OLD GRANDDAD

Post Likes
    Oh what the hell; I was going to tell you a short story but it goes back farther and so will be longer -

When I was 18 and first going out to bars legally I would often be bored and drink too fast which led to 'too much'. As a way around this I started to try all the types of booze - to find the one that I liked the least. It was bourbon and I disliked it the most with water.

So that became my Standard Drink. It was awful and so I wouldn't drink it very fast. This worked out much better for me.

Of course fast-forward to now and the only whiskey I drink is bourbon. <g>

For many years that has been Jim Beam. But the price started going up and going up until one time I said: I like Jim Beam but $28. a bottle is just too damned much. So I reached down a shelf and bought a bottle of Heaven Hill for $15. instead.

At home it seemed 'close enough' and I continued to drink it. Friends and neighbors and customer often bring me bourbon and know I drink Jim Beam so that's what they bring.

One night not too long ago I started to make a drink and saw the Heaven Hill was open but the Jim Beam wasn't. That made me pause and in that second I thought:

Taste Test !

So I made identical drinks. Counted the ice cubes - the whole nine: two identical drinks.

Unfortunately in my giddiness over how smart I was I forgot to keep track of which was which:

Originally each was next to the bottle it had been poured from. But, being a part-time idiot, and apparently on-duty at the time, I then said: Oh; may as well put these bottles away. . . . and then had no idea which drink was which. <g>

Nonetheless, both were consumed, alternate sip by alternate sip, and a conclusion reached - zero discernible difference.

So now I buy Heaven Hill and drink only free Jim Beam.

Makers Mark is like a really great sound system. I'm sure there's a difference - but this $50. boom box sounds perfectly fine to me. <g>

PHM
    --------
    Mikey:

That was a great story.

Thanx for the laughs.

Take care.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in