Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's up with Jim Beam ?

It used to say: Made From A Formula on the label.

I just noticed that it doesn't now. When did they change that?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

uh oooo 10;25 on a friday night and mikes posting about whiskey, whats uuuuuuup Mike
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

I go out to dinner every Friday -

Standard would be: a bottle of wine with dinner and then home to sip another bottle.

The service was a little slow and I took my time cleaning my own bronzino. So I opened the second bottle at dinner. Then we finished the second half at home but it seemed like a bit of a gip - half a bottle a home.

Oddly; drinking whiskey is OK - but opening another bottle of wine is Not acceptable! Of course this is all being dictated by a woman - so who can say? <g>

And as I sipped bourbon I noticed the bottle. It used to say: Made From a Formula

Now it doesn't.

Why is that?

And when did it happen?

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by zachhvac View Post
    uh oooo 10;25 on a friday night and mikes posting about whiskey, whats uuuuuuup Mike
    PHM
    --------

rotflmao

Man i dont eve drink but ive got to come party with you

Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    It used to say: Made From A Formula on the label.

I just noticed that it doesn't now. When did they change that?
    When they started making it in China?

Quote Originally Posted by bjones View Post
    When they started making it in China?
    Dude dont hash his chill Mikeys groovin.

Mikey, your innards won't last mixing cheap whiskey and bikes.
    The solution is simply switch to Makers Mark.

Years ago Jack Daniel's label said their whiskey was 8 years old. Then they stopped labeling that. I don't know if it's even old at all.

I never heard of that wine protocol. I'll check with Miss Manners.
    Tracers work both ways.

Beam label

I hadn't noticed the difference in wording, but now that you pointed it out I think you may be right. There may be a labeling change, but I have been drinking Beam regularly for about 10 years and I haven't noticed any taste difference. So, hopefully the only difference is the label.

HVACKER: you are right on about Makers Mark. If I have some extra money that is always a first choice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersfan1 View Post
    I hadn't noticed the difference in wording, but now that you pointed it out I think you may be right. There may be a labeling change, but I have been drinking Beam regularly for about 10 years and I haven't noticed any taste difference. So, hopefully the only difference is the label.

HVACKER: you are right on about Makers Mark. If I have some extra money that is always a first choice for me.
    Or Knob Creek.

Taste Test -

Oh what the hell; I was going to tell you a short story but it goes back farther and so will be longer -

When I was 18 and first going out to bars legally I would often be bored and drink too fast which led to 'too much'. As a way around this I started to try all the types of booze - to find the one that I liked the least. It was bourbon and I disliked it the most with water.

So that became my Standard Drink. It was awful and so I wouldn't drink it very fast. This worked out much better for me.

Of course fast-forward to now and the only whiskey I drink is bourbon. <g>

For many years that has been Jim Beam. But the price started going up and going up until one time I said: I like Jim Beam but $28. a bottle is just too damned much. So I reached down a shelf and bought a bottle of Heaven Hill for $15. instead.

At home it seemed 'close enough' and I continued to drink it. Friends and neighbors and customer often bring me bourbon and know I drink Jim Beam so that's what they bring.

One night not too long ago I started to make a drink and saw the Heaven Hill was open but the Jim Beam wasn't. That made me pause and in that second I thought:

Taste Test !

So I made identical drinks. Counted the ice cubes - the whole nine: two identical drinks.

Unfortunately in my giddiness over how smart I was I forgot to keep track of which was which:

Originally each was next to the bottle it had been poured from. But, being a part-time idiot, and apparently on-duty at the time, I then said: Oh; may as well put these bottles away. . . . and then had no idea which drink was which. <g>

Nonetheless, both were consumed, alternate sip by alternate sip, and a conclusion reached - zero discernible difference.

So now I buy Heaven Hill and drink only free Jim Beam.

Makers Mark is like a really great sound system. I'm sure there's a difference - but this $50. boom box sounds perfectly fine to me. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Mikey, your innards won't last mixing cheap whiskey and bikes.
    The solution is simply switch to Makers Mark.

Years ago Jack Daniel's label said their whiskey was 8 years old. Then they stopped labeling that. I don't know if it's even old at all.

I never heard of that wine protocol. I'll check with Miss Manners.
    PHM
    --------

Taste test

PHM: I'll have to look for Heaven Hill. I have never seen or heard of that brand before.

Another whiskey that I like that is a little cheaper than Beam is Early Times. I can tell a difference between Beam and Early but for the price difference it is all good.

I have been a scotch drinker for a very long time but when I got tired of seeing "Made In China" and made somewhere else I got to thinking. What if with a little effort I could drink something from here. Like Kentucky. So I did and I like it fine. Kentucky straight Bourbons.
    Tracers work both ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast