TXV Question/System Comments Please

I recently purchased an Amana unit from a reputable company and am very happy with the install and the equipment so far.

I understand the low-end Amana is really Goodman and understood that mostly from this site and comparing model numbers before purchase. I also have a fairly new Trane system but just couldn'tr afford another Trane at this point, so I went with lower-end equipment and a company that would do the install correctly.

I have the following:

GSX130241, GMH950703BX, CAPF1824b6

The system does not have a TXV from the factory, correct? Would it be of any benefit to have one istalled or is the 13 rating too low to benefit?

Next, about the equipment overall. Is there absolutely no difference between the Amana/Goodman of the same model as above? Any issues that you've seen with the equipment lately?

Thank you and thank you for all of the posts as it helped in making my purchase and asking intelligent questions.

The system does not have a TXV from the factory, correct? Would it be of any benefit to have one istalled or is the 13 rating too low to benefit?
    Actually a TVX MUST be installed to achieve the stated 13 seer. The TXV is easy to spot. Follow the 3/8" liquid line to the indoor coil. The TXV is installed at the end of that line just before the indoor coil. It will have two additional smaller copper lines exiting the TXV. The txv itself may be insulated. Chances are that it's already installed.

I stand corrected. AHRI does not list a txv as necessary for that match. It seems the txv is required for rated heat pump operation, not cooling only units. However the higher efficiency units of today really benefit from an indoor txv, especially in lower ambient conditions.

Interestingly, no matchup with that gsx13024 requires a txv according to the goodman specs. The gsx13030 and larger units do have match ups that require the txv. Go figure.

http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/pdf/SS/SS-GSX13.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SupplySideGent View Post
    I have the following:

GSX130241, GMH950703BX, CAPF1824b6

That system is AHRI-rated without a TXV. You can have one installed, it is optional for Goodman. A TXV regulates refrigerant flow to the indoor coil so that the system is providing optimal cooling under all loading conditions.

The part# for the TXV for your condenser is TX3N4. If the compressor is a recip, a hard start capacitor is required: Part# CSR-U-1.

That furnace is not a true 2-stage furnace. It runs "x" minutes on first stage, then kicks into second stage.

Good luck.