+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need a good pancake/waffle batter.

Post Likes

I need a good pancake/waffle batter.

Those crap batters from wal marts...... yuck. kids wont even eat um. I wanna make I-Hop good pancakes.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Post Likes
    Call Jerry or Ken I have syrup from both places and it was excellent. Surely they know of good pancake mix. We use auntie jamima. If I need info on bull balls I'll call ya
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    at the Village Inn they mix some whip cream into their batter
    it makes the pancakes light and fluffy
    I-hop may do the same
    If con is the opposite of pro
    is congress the opposite of progress?

Post Likes
    AEBLESKIVER (Pancake Balls or Swedish Pancakes)

2 Cups Buttermilk ½ teaspoon salt
    2 Cups Flour ½ teaspoon soda*
    2 Eggs 2 Tablespoons Sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder* 4 Tablespoons Melted butter
    ½ teaspoon Vanilla liquid ½ teaspoon Cardamom

Separate 2 eggs and beat whites stiff, set aside. Mix all other ingredients together at one time and beat until smooth. Fold in egg whites last by hand.

Put about a Tablespoon of Vegetable oil or Shortening in the bottom of each Aebleskiver Pan cup, heat till hot. Pour about 2 Tablespoons of the batter into each cup. As soon as it gets bubbly around the edge, turn quickly . “Danish cooks like to use a long knitting needle for this but a fork works very well.” Continue cooking turning the ball to keep it from burning, until a straw or knitting needle comes out clean, when stuck in the center. Serve while hot with Syrup, Jam or Powdered sugar. Loganberry jam is the Swedish tradition, availible from Ikea or on the net.

Swedish Pancakes can also be cooked flat, by spraying a pan with a “Good” quality cooking spray at 300°F to 325°F.

*Note that both baking soda and baking powder are used.

Madhat Revised; December 30, 2007

Post Likes
    Crepes , for Four

Ingredients;

1 ½ Cup of Flour 3 Eggs, slightly beaten
    1/4 teaspoon Salt ¾ Cup of Milk
    1 Tablespoon Sugar ¾ Cup Water
    3 Tablespoons Butter, Melted ½ teaspoon Vanilla

Directions;

1) In a large mixing bowl, mix the Eggs, ¾ cup Milk, ¾ cup Water, ½ teaspoon vanilla together, Add 3 tablespoons butter.

2) Add 1 ½ cup Flour, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1 Tablespoon Sugar, to a sifter.

3) Gradually add the, dry ingredients, approximately a ¼ cup at a time, while whisking. Whisk till blended, but do not over beat.

4) Spray griddle with cooking oil. After griddle is hot, (325 F) add a small ladle of batter, spread batter out till a thin pancake formed. Cook for a couple minutes, till top is just dry, turn with a spatula, and cook other side.

5) Crepes may be stacked on a plate and heated in microwave just before serving.

I let the kids do the below, kind of like our DIY tacos

6) Serve hot with warm fruit or jam rolled into center.*

* Also use whipped cream and or T. Marzetti Cream Cheese Fruit Dip

Will serve four, and ready in 40 minutes. Recipe is easily adjusted up or down by thirds.

Madhat Revised; May 17, 2009

Crepes For Four, filling.

Ingredients;

2 pounds of *Strawberries 1 Tablespoon Sugar

2 teaspoons water 2 teaspoons Corn Starch

Directions;

Wash, Core and, Quarter 2 pounds of fresh Strawberries. Place in Microwave safe Glass pot, Micro wave on half power a minute at a time till very warm. Mix two teaspoons of water with two teaspoons of Corn starch. Stir Corn starch mixture into strawberries and cook on high twenty seconds at a time till thick.

* May substitute Grapes, Peaches, Bananas, Apples, or Pineapple for above. Note; Half the grapes. Omit Sugar and corn starch, add the Water to the Bananas. Cut Apples in bite size pieces. Cook apples till just soft, substitute to brown sugar and sprinkle with Cinnamon. Pineapple, soak overnight in Brandy, Cognac, or Rum, omit sugar. (do not serve to Minors as the Alcohol will not fully cook out of the Pineapple.)

Options; Spread thin layer of Cream Cheese dip, to Crepes, before adding Fruit, add a small amount of Whip Cream to fruit before rolling up.

Madhat May 17, 2009

Post Likes

This is what you do...

This recipe makes a big load of pancakes... but let them cool on racks, place in a storage bag, separated by waxed paper, and freeze. Microwave in the morning- no pain, no strain and I promise you will be the breakfast hero.

BUTTERMILK PANCAKES

3 Cups all-purpose flour
    3 Tsp baking powder
    1.5 Tsp baking soda
    1 Tsp salt
    5 Tbs sugar
    4 large eggs
    1 quart buttermilk
    5 Tbs melted butter

Mix all the dry ingredients, then in a separate bowl mix the wet stuff. Add the wet to the dry, and whisk to combine. Don't overdo it... there should be small lumps. If it is a little too stiff, add a little cold water.

Then let it rest for about 10 minutes. It will thicken, and some bubbles will form. Now it's time to make the cakes. Just do as you normally would, but these have a little more sugar, so make sure they don't burn on the bottom.

Try the freeze idea... breakfast in minutes!
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Post Likes
    My mother inlaw died at age 99. We have her electric waffle iron that she got as a wedding present. Its about 70 years old and still makes perfect waffles.

Believe it or not I ain't a big fan of pancakes. I put my maple suryp on boiled carrots and vanilla ice cream. yummmmm.

The best pancake mix, out of the box, I bought at Aldi's. Kids like pancakes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    My mother inlaw died at age 99. We have her electric waffle iron that she got as a wedding present. Its about 70 years old and still makes perfect waffles.
    If you ever need it repaired or rebuilt, these folks do this www.toastercentral.com

Post Likes
    put about a cup of selfrising flour in a large mixing bowl. add 2 eggs and pour milk into the bowl. use enough to make the batter either as thick or thin as you want. add one teaspoon of sugar. Melt about one teaspoon of shortening in a cast iron skillet, before it gets to hot pour it in the batter mix and mix it up, u might need to add some more milk. cook over medium heat.

add more flour if needed but more than 2 eggs is not a good idea

Post Likes
    bisquick and vanilla extract
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    Snoqualmie Falls Pancake and Waffle Mix.

http://www.snoqualmiefalls.com/store.htm

It is a really good out of the box mix IMO.
    I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.

I will defend, to your death, my right to my opinion.

Post Likes
    This stuff is good.

http://www.snoqualmiefalls.com/store.htm

There's a big difference between the regular mix and the fiber mix thought. Regular is better unless you need to become regular.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    I like using bisquick and chopping up apples in small pieces and adding cinnamon to the batter and fold it in after everything is mixed.

Post Likes
    Outside of scratch made, these mixes are some of the best I've tried. http://www.eaglemills.com/brands/kru...an_waffle_mix/
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    http://www.krusteaz.com/brands/krust...l_Pancake_Mix/

Pretty good for an out the box mix.
    Better with real maple syrup. But at 80 bucks a gallon. You might want to fill up the work truck instead.

Post Likes
    Get regular pancake mix ,cut 20% with potato flour . add some chopped pecans ( if you like them )and 4 tblspoons of almond/vanilla extract ( amaretta works too and the alchohol cooks out). Throw in rainbow sprinkles for the kids and you have ( mardi gras pancakes). or ommit the sprinkles if theres no kids around . For the syrup mix 1/3 maple 1/3 dark cane syrup and 1/3 honey and you have my secret Louisiana swamp syrup . MANGEZ , BOISSON , ET SOYEZ , JOYEUX ! Eat drink and be happy !

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Those crap batters from wal marts...... yuck. kids wont even eat um. I wanna make I-Hop good pancakes.
    Cook it yourself! it is easy here is the recipe

We need only flour, egg(s), milk + salt and sugar. I cook a lot so that's enough for two-three times

Just mix everything listed above together to the right consistency

Post Likes
    Ingredients:
    2 eggs, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 ¾ cups milk, ½ cup vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon white sugar, 4 teaspoons baking powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract

I just knead it all into one goo and that's it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in