2 Cups Buttermilk ½ teaspoon salt
2 Cups Flour ½ teaspoon soda*
2 Eggs 2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder* 4 Tablespoons Melted butter
½ teaspoon Vanilla liquid ½ teaspoon Cardamom
Separate 2 eggs and beat whites stiff, set aside. Mix all other ingredients together at one time and beat until smooth. Fold in egg whites last by hand.
Put about a Tablespoon of Vegetable oil or Shortening in the bottom of each Aebleskiver Pan cup, heat till hot. Pour about 2 Tablespoons of the batter into each cup. As soon as it gets bubbly around the edge, turn quickly . Danish cooks like to use a long knitting needle for this but a fork works very well. Continue cooking turning the ball to keep it from burning, until a straw or knitting needle comes out clean, when stuck in the center. Serve while hot with Syrup, Jam or Powdered sugar. Loganberry jam is the Swedish tradition, availible from Ikea or on the net.
Swedish Pancakes can also be cooked flat, by spraying a pan with a Good quality cooking spray at 300°F to 325°F.
*Note that both baking soda and baking powder are used.
1 ½ Cup of Flour 3 Eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon Salt ¾ Cup of Milk
1 Tablespoon Sugar ¾ Cup Water
3 Tablespoons Butter, Melted ½ teaspoon Vanilla
1) In a large mixing bowl, mix the Eggs, ¾ cup Milk, ¾ cup Water, ½ teaspoon vanilla together, Add 3 tablespoons butter.
2) Add 1 ½ cup Flour, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1 Tablespoon Sugar, to a sifter.
3) Gradually add the, dry ingredients, approximately a ¼ cup at a time, while whisking. Whisk till blended, but do not over beat.
4) Spray griddle with cooking oil. After griddle is hot, (325 F) add a small ladle of batter, spread batter out till a thin pancake formed. Cook for a couple minutes, till top is just dry, turn with a spatula, and cook other side.
5) Crepes may be stacked on a plate and heated in microwave just before serving.
I let the kids do the below, kind of like our DIY tacos
6) Serve hot with warm fruit or jam rolled into center.*
* Also use whipped cream and or T. Marzetti Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
Will serve four, and ready in 40 minutes. Recipe is easily adjusted up or down by thirds.
Madhat Revised; May 17, 2009
Crepes For Four, filling.
2 pounds of *Strawberries 1 Tablespoon Sugar
2 teaspoons water 2 teaspoons Corn Starch
Wash, Core and, Quarter 2 pounds of fresh Strawberries. Place in Microwave safe Glass pot, Micro wave on half power a minute at a time till very warm. Mix two teaspoons of water with two teaspoons of Corn starch. Stir Corn starch mixture into strawberries and cook on high twenty seconds at a time till thick.
* May substitute Grapes, Peaches, Bananas, Apples, or Pineapple for above. Note; Half the grapes. Omit Sugar and corn starch, add the Water to the Bananas. Cut Apples in bite size pieces. Cook apples till just soft, substitute to brown sugar and sprinkle with Cinnamon. Pineapple, soak overnight in Brandy, Cognac, or Rum, omit sugar. (do not serve to Minors as the Alcohol will not fully cook out of the Pineapple.)
Options; Spread thin layer of Cream Cheese dip, to Crepes, before adding Fruit, add a small amount of Whip Cream to fruit before rolling up.
This recipe makes a big load of pancakes... but let them cool on racks, place in a storage bag, separated by waxed paper, and freeze. Microwave in the morning- no pain, no strain and I promise you will be the breakfast hero.
3 Cups all-purpose flour
3 Tsp baking powder
1.5 Tsp baking soda
1 Tsp salt
5 Tbs sugar
4 large eggs
1 quart buttermilk
5 Tbs melted butter
Mix all the dry ingredients, then in a separate bowl mix the wet stuff. Add the wet to the dry, and whisk to combine. Don't overdo it... there should be small lumps. If it is a little too stiff, add a little cold water.
Then let it rest for about 10 minutes. It will thicken, and some bubbles will form. Now it's time to make the cakes. Just do as you normally would, but these have a little more sugar, so make sure they don't burn on the bottom.
Try the freeze idea... breakfast in minutes!
Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.
Get regular pancake mix ,cut 20% with potato flour . add some chopped pecans ( if you like them )and 4 tblspoons of almond/vanilla extract ( amaretta works too and the alchohol cooks out). Throw in rainbow sprinkles for the kids and you have ( mardi gras pancakes). or ommit the sprinkles if theres no kids around . For the syrup mix 1/3 maple 1/3 dark cane syrup and 1/3 honey and you have my secret Louisiana swamp syrup . MANGEZ , BOISSON , ET SOYEZ , JOYEUX ! Eat drink and be happy !