Question Water Cooler.... Electrical?

This is an electrician question but I'll give it a try here. Yesterday i installed two water coolers on a rooftop of a dry cleaners. Electricians came and ran my power. Today the customer called saying it wasn't working. I found that the belt drive motor was over amping, pulling 8.5 and rated for 7.8. it shut off on thermal overload then would come back on. I called the manufacture and they said to loosen the belt so i did... same problem. then took the motor back where i bought it. they gave me a new one. installed it.. same problem again. then tried running the motor with belt off... still pulling 8.1 amps. I then took the motor to my shop and hooked it up to bench test it. only got 6.6 amps. Took motor back and re installed it again. Same problem 8.5 amps. I called the electrician and the manufacture for help. motor was correct, pully's correct, voltage correct, I even unhooked all duct from cooler. Still high amps. electrician even switched legs in panel...still no fix. any ideas anybody? What would cause it to only pull high amps at this location and not another?
    thanks for your help

Are both units doing the same thing and what voltage do you have? Is it a single phase motor? Or a 3 phase?
    If you find it bad 3 different ways- ~its bad~

Possibly a loose conection on a terminal. does it use a starter? Bad contacts or loose heater? the problem must be at that location only place you see the amps high.
    Plates5

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long
    after the sweetness of low price is forgoten."
    John Preston

Is this a 208/230 motor on a weak 208?
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Plates5 View Post
    Possibly a loose conection on a terminal. does it use a starter? Bad contacts or loose heater? the problem must be at that location only place you see the amps high.
    All of these items, plus what size wire is used and how far away is the feeder panel.

The problem is definitely not the motor

Did you check the running voltage at the motor? Sounds like you have a voltage drop due to high resistence in the path of current flow. (loose connection, too small of wire, high ambient temp, ect.)

Jdblack beat me too it. Old knife style disconnects are also a good place for a bad connection.

Quote Originally Posted by chillerguy81 View Post
    Jdblack beat me too it. Old knife style disconnects are also a good place for a bad connection.
    I'm an electrician by birth and hvac newb.

Check line voltage with a Wiggy type tester rather than a high impedance DMM.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Is the motor pulley adjustable. Had a problem with a hood exhaust motor, we replaced, doing the same thing. tried loosening belt as much as could, still had same problem. Finally adjusted the pulley so belt would sit lower in pulley (or was that higher in pulley) and used ampmeter. Played with it till I got the amperage to drop. Never had a problem since.

wow I forgot i posted this on here. It was the pully. once i changed it to an adjustable I got the right amps and it worked great. no problems since. thanks for the help.