Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 53 to 65 of 136
  1. #53
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thurmont, Maryland
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by mikem3815 View Post
    The only thing I EVER use to fix a leak is my leak detector
    Leak detectors don't fix leaks, they find them.

  2. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Southern MD
    Posts
    5
    Finding is the first part of fixing

  3. #55
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thurmont, Maryland
    Posts
    50
    I agree, but leak detectors don't always find the leak, Nitrogen and a leak detector works much better.

  4. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Pigeon Forge, TN
    Posts
    295
    I don't have to tell you guys that sometimes the leak can be very hard to find, and require an expensive evaporator replacement to fix. I welcomed a possible easy and cheap fix for this problem. If the worse thing that could happen is, the system simply continued to leak, then I would have no issue with it. However. from my own personal experience of a compressor locking up, I can no longer in good conscience recommend or use a product on any of my customer's homes that could potentially lock up the compressor, period. If the unit that I did put the stuff in that's still running ends up locking up I will give them one of my own personal condensers, and only charge them for installation and refrigerant. That's how bad I feel about it.

  5. #57

    SUPER SEAL

    Quote Originally Posted by mikem3815 View Post
    The only thing I EVER use to fix a leak is my leak detector
    I am in apartment maintenance and have been in it several years, plus im a journeyman elctrician. Ive been using the leak seal as of late due to this, they rarely want to replace a unit. The line sets for mine are run underground through concrete and the units themselves are over 40 years old. This is a hard task to keep running and supply the wants to the residents. So far of 15 units I have installed this in 1 has had a compressor burnout shortly there after. So for this situation it is worth a try, On the ones that burnout I replace the unit rather than compressors and the ones that leak which they all do I use the leak seal as a last resort. One problem I do have with it, is the shradder valve fill system, Ive had several cans not discharge the fluid after piercing. I seem to get better results with a piercing valve screw on connection rather than the discharge valve fill port. Are any others having this same problem? Thanks

  6. #58
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thurmont, Maryland
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcjdz1 View Post
    I am in apartment maintenance and have been in it several years, plus im a journeyman elctrician. Ive been using the leak seal as of late due to this, they rarely want to replace a unit. The line sets for mine are run underground through concrete and the units themselves are over 40 years old. This is a hard task to keep running and supply the wants to the residents. So far of 15 units I have installed this in 1 has had a compressor burnout shortly there after. So for this situation it is worth a try, On the ones that burnout I replace the unit rather than compressors and the ones that leak which they all do I use the leak seal as a last resort. One problem I do have with it, is the shradder valve fill system, Ive had several cans not discharge the fluid after piercing. I seem to get better results with a piercing valve screw on connection rather than the discharge valve fill port. Are any others having this same problem? Thanks
    Yes I have had that problem, I just left the hose on the can (with the valve closed) and returned it to my supply house (RE Michel) and they exchange it for a new can.

  7. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    1,439
    Let's all be honest here.

    I haven't found a leak yet that I "couldn't" repair, however I just chose not to. If you find a leaking evap coil there are ways around it with out system replacement. The problem is skill level required to repair the leak.

    Thurmont, your data is not accurate. I'm not trying to be an *** but you keeping saying 100 systems, then you say 3 failed, then you say a lot of them you've changed out within a few months. In the scientific world this would be inconclusive because you don't have any "controls" in place to record longterm data.

    I can read directions and when I installed this stuff it recommended drier replacement. It doesn't say "If you don't change the drier, you'll be screwed!"

    Honestly what's the point in changing the drier because after you change the drier you need to evacuate the system and it's a leaking system so you can't fully vaccum it down, because air will just be sucked back into the system @ the leak.

    I will not ever use this product again. Reason being: I will not perform any "repair" to the system which could potentially cause it to fail. I am in the business of repairs.

    If your $5000 car had a leak in it's $700 radiator and I told you that I had a can of $45 crap to put in and fix the leak, because you couldn't afford the radiator would you do it after I told you that it "may" ruin your car and cause you to buy a new one? I don't think so and I think some of us may find it easier to pump the junk in rather than replace the component.

    Some in this industry have gotten in the habit of saying "Oh it's broke and ten years old, you need to replace it." I think that's crap.

  8. #60
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thurmont, Maryland
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
    Let's all be honest here.

    I haven't found a leak yet that I "couldn't" repair, however I just chose not to. If you find a leaking evap coil there are ways around it with out system replacement. The problem is skill level required to repair the leak.

    Thurmont, your data is not accurate. I'm not trying to be an *** but you keeping saying 100 systems, then you say 3 failed, then you say a lot of them you've changed out within a few months. In the scientific world this would be inconclusive because you don't have any "controls" in place to record longterm data.

    I can read directions and when I installed this stuff it recommended drier replacement. It doesn't say "If you don't change the drier, you'll be screwed!"

    Honestly what's the point in changing the drier because after you change the drier you need to evacuate the system and it's a leaking system so you can't fully vaccum it down, because air will just be sucked back into the system @ the leak.

    I will not ever use this product again. Reason being: I will not perform any "repair" to the system which could potentially cause it to fail. I am in the business of repairs.

    If your $5000 car had a leak in it's $700 radiator and I told you that I had a can of $45 crap to put in and fix the leak, because you couldn't afford the radiator would you do it after I told you that it "may" ruin your car and cause you to buy a new one? I don't think so and I think some of us may find it easier to pump the junk in rather than replace the component.

    Some in this industry have gotten in the habit of saying "Oh it's broke and ten years old, you need to replace it." I think that's crap.
    My data IS Accurate,I said three did not stop the leak, not failed, another 4 I replaced( Not "Alot of them" as you say),after the sealeant was in the system. At the time of replacement the equipment was still working with a proper charge. If you choose not to use the sealant then that is your choice, I have found that it does work, yeah it has the potential to add misery to the system and I inform my customers of it. If they say put it in, well then I put it in. So Excuse Me, I havs 93 systems currently in operation, working fine, With sealant in them.

  9. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    1,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurmont HVAC View Post
    My data IS Accurate,I said three did not stop the leak, not failed, another 4 I replaced( Not "Alot of them" as you say),after the sealeant was in the system. At the time of replacement the equipment was still working with a proper charge. If you choose not to use the sealant then that is your choice, I have found that it does work, yeah it has the potential to add misery to the system and I inform my customers of it. If they say put it in, well then I put it in. So Excuse Me, I havs 93 systems currently in operation, working fine, With sealant in them.
    I doubt the validity of your story. I don't believe you kept that good of record on your "leakers". And just for the "RECORDS" you said in the beginning "about 100 systems" so again your data is not accurate in saying you have 93 systems currently in operation.

    I hope you put stickers on all of that equipment so you don't gum up a "good" technician's hoses.

  10. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Ocean Pines, MD
    Posts
    6,990
    Before this goes much further in this open area tone down the responses, especially the Hack button. I'm about to hit the move button.
    Thurmont, we liked to have your in the Pro Area, hope you will apply.
    Last edited by Stamas; 06-17-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Mis-spelled, sorry.

  11. #63
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thurmont, Maryland
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
    I doubt the validity of your story. I don't believe you kept that good of record on your "leakers". And just for the "RECORDS" you said in the beginning "about 100 systems" so again your data is not accurate in saying you have 93 systems currently in operation.

    I hope you put stickers on all of that equipment so you don't gum up a "good" technician's hoses.
    First off You don't Know me nor do you know my record keeping. I in fact keep very good records of the equipment I service and if you must know I currently have 267 systems deemed leakers. Out of that 267 I have put sealant in 106 systems( so sorry I wasn't accurate enough for you in my first post) out of those 106 systems I have had 3 systems that the sealant would not seal the leak in(not failed compressors) 4 systems I have replaced due to customers wanting to upgrade due to aging equipment. So that leaves me with 99 systems currently with the sealant in them. I garantee that you are not perfect, no one is and you have no right calling names to anyone. Again I can't believe that you and some others have professional Member under your name by the way you post against some one who believes different to you. You are no SUPER MECHANIC who knows all, if you were you wouldn't be on this Board. And Yes I do put the stickers on the equipment with My Company Name and phone #
    Last edited by Stamas; 06-17-2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Read my above post before reposting.

  12. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    3,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurmont HVAC View Post
    WOW !! pdrake, They actually let you have Professional Member under your name. What a shame. You accuse people of being "Hacks" judging someone who has a different opinion than yours. I used to work with guys like you, we called em "cry babies" you can call me any thing you want, your a nobdy to me and I could care less about you. I thought this fourm was supposed to be for Technicians and for helping people and not bashing people. I fully inform all my customers of what could happen to there system if they choose to use it. I also tell them that I have had very good sucess with the product. You act like Clip light made this product soley to harm a system, well I'm here to tell you they didn't. And yes I do leak check, I do repair leaks on a weekly basis but sometimes when you are dealing with customers who have small leaks on evaporator coils in non repairable locations and can't afford to replace you can bet I'll put a can in the system if the customer request it regardless of what you have to say about it. So the next time you call someone a "Hack" remember..your a .........! nah nah nah

    I guess I don't understand.

    If this stuff will not work on large leaks and is made for typical return bend and bulkhead perforation leaks on evaporator coils, would it not be better for a poor customer and in his better interest to add some freon yearly and eliminate his risk of having to buy a new system?
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

    Born Again KA

  13. #65
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,295
    sealant in 106 of 267.

    Why don't you just fix them right? In my experience the majority of the time when people get super defensive is when they know they are doing wrong.

    Superseal in my opinion is a hack product in itself. Can't stand the stuff and refuse to use it. If other techs suggest them using it in my systems I tell them "fix it right, BUT DO NOT put that $&@! in my systems"

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event