Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 136
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Connectitaxed
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurmont HVAC View Post
    I've used it in about 100 systems. If you follow the directions you shouldn't have any problems. Yes it is a last ditch effort to keep someone up and running. I have only had 3 systems that it did not seal. It isn't good for heavy leakers, it is only good for the small leaks. I haven't lost 1 compressor because of it. If you have excessive moisture in your system to begin with then you WILL have problems. Be smart about how you install it, read the directions. I tell my customers that "you have about a 75% chance of it working and that about a 30% chance of some form of system damage is possable". But if your customer is looking for a Hail Mary fix and can't afford to replace just yet then use it. Whats the worst that will happen.... You might sell a new system!
    This is the reason I say using this is a hack job!!! People , get a clue!!!!

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Connectitaxed
    Posts
    2,644
    I know how to read directions.....do you know how to service a system?!?

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Connectitaxed
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyB View Post
    I have a tough time believing that it is a "horrible" product. I think that, just like anything else, if it is not used correctly, it can be dissasterous.
    Have you used this product? Do you think that any knowledged tech CAN'T read directions? Why would you bother to change a filter-drier if you were putting this garbage into a system? A lazy way of leak sealing...if it doesn't kill the system.....hacks!!!!

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,400
    I have to admit that, a couple of years ago, I was plagued with what I called 'micro-leaks' on small, self-contained deli units. Small leaks caused by coil corrosion.

    At the same time, I started seeing this stuff on the shelves of the local supply houses.


    Hmmm. It seemed a logical solution to a problem.

    I never used it professionally. There's more to that which I will get to later.

    My thought was to use it as a 'prophylactic' type treatment. Repair a leak on a coil, replace the drier, evac the system, add the leak stopper, then charge normally. This would, theoretically, stop any future leaks as they form. I still think that something like this is logical in some cases.

    Now, on to personal experience.

    My sister-in-law had the AC unit in her car go out. I grabbed a set of auto fittings for my manifold hoses and had a peek at it. No gas, leak in condenser coil. We talked it over and I explained her options to her. She decided to give it a whirl, so I got the sealer stuff and some R-134 at the auto parts store and did the best I could.

    The AC ran GREAT for about a week. Then the compressor did a squeal and stopped pumping.

    Those that would use this as a panacea approach to repairing leaks, I would classify as "hacks". Unskilled people masquerading as professionals and giving us all a bad name. Someone who uses it in a last ditch effort to get more life out of a unit, uses it in accordance with the instructions and with full disclosure to the customer. Them, I would call ill-advised, but not hacks.

  5. #44
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thurmont, Maryland
    Posts
    50
    WOW !! pdrake, They actually let you have Professional Member under your name. What a shame. You accuse people of being "Hacks" judging someone who has a different opinion than yours. I used to work with guys like you, we called em "cry babies" you can call me any thing you want, your a nobdy to me and I could care less about you. I thought this fourm was supposed to be for Technicians and for helping people and not bashing people. I fully inform all my customers of what could happen to there system if they choose to use it. I also tell them that I have had very good sucess with the product. You act like Clip light made this product soley to harm a system, well I'm here to tell you they didn't. And yes I do leak check, I do repair leaks on a weekly basis but sometimes when you are dealing with customers who have small leaks on evaporator coils in non repairable locations and can't afford to replace you can bet I'll put a can in the system if the customer request it regardless of what you have to say about it. So the next time you call someone a "Hack" remember..your a .........! nah nah nah

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,931
    Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    Not bothering to find a leak and repairing it is a hack. You guys think that a can of crap is your solution to a problem. It is guys like you that give this profession a bad rap. The largest company in your area should be finding the leaks and not putting that crap into systems.
    I'm not a big fan of the stuff but you got a lot of NERVE. I've used it twice and so far it has held up.

    Some people don't have the funds at this time to do an expensive repair or changeout. So if you tell them that the stuff works sometimes and they agree to assume the risk on an old outdated system any way, then who are you to say no?????

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurmont HVAC View Post
    WOW !! pdrake, They actually let you have Professional Member under your name. What a shame. You accuse people of being "Hacks" judging someone who has a different opinion than yours. I used to work with guys like you, we called em "cry babies" you can call me any thing you want, your a nobdy to me and I could care less about you. I thought this fourm was supposed to be for Technicians and for helping people and not bashing people. I fully inform all my customers of what could happen to there system if they choose to use it. I also tell them that I have had very good sucess with the product. You act like Clip light made this product soley to harm a system, well I'm here to tell you they didn't. And yes I do leak check, I do repair leaks on a weekly basis but sometimes when you are dealing with customers who have small leaks on evaporator coils in non repairable locations and can't afford to replace you can bet I'll put a can in the system if the customer request it regardless of what you have to say about it. So the next time you call someone a "Hack" remember..your a .........! nah nah nah
    Your the one that suggested it to the customer the average Joe did not know about this crap until you told them about it. As it's been said many time's before their are only 2 things that belong in a system and that's refrigerant and oil.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mid-Mo
    Posts
    3,594
    Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    Your the one that suggested it to the customer the average Joe did not know about this crap until you told them about it. As it's been said many time's before their are only 2 things that belong in a system and that's refrigerant and oil.
    CT-- you forgot nitrogen for the purpose of finding the leaks!

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by pdrake65 View Post
    Have you used this product? Do you think that any knowledged tech CAN'T read directions? Why would you bother to change a filter-drier if you were putting this garbage into a system? A lazy way of leak sealing...if it doesn't kill the system.....hacks!!!!
    Yea, I've used it twice (as I posted earlier) because I was directed by the owner of my company. I guess not all "knowledged" service techs can read.

  10. #49
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thurmont, Maryland
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    Your the one that suggested it to the customer the average Joe did not know about this crap until you told them about it. As it's been said many time's before their are only 2 things that belong in a system and that's refrigerant and oil.
    Yeah well if I wouldn't have offered it then someone else would have. You call it crap, thats is your opinion, as I stated earlier I haven't had any problems arise out of using it except that on 3 units COUNT THEM 1...2...3 UNITS OUT OF 100 that didn't stop the leak, haven't had any failed compressors or blocked filter dryers. Now you guys think you know freakin everything, break that down and I think you'll find that in the real world( not your little world) in real life situations it does work. The proof is there too bad you can't accept it! Yeah go ahead and call me a Hack !!!

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurmont HVAC View Post
    Yeah well if I wouldn't have offered it then someone else would have. You call it crap, thats is your opinion, as I stated earlier I haven't had any problems arise out of using it except that on 3 units COUNT THEM 1...2...3 UNITS OUT OF 100 that didn't stop the leak, haven't had any failed compressors or blocked filter dryers. Now you guys think you know freakin everything, break that down and I think you'll find that in the real world( not your little world) in real life situations it does work. The proof is there too bad you can't accept it! Yeah go ahead and call me a Hack !!!
    Not trying to be a jerk, but a few things pop out at me.

    Do you still service all 100 pieces of equipment?

    Are you the exclusive service provider for those 100 pieces of equipment?

    I guess what I'm trying to get to is "How accurate, really, is your data?"

    Did a customer decide to call Company 'X' when the super seal didn't work and the system failed?

    I'm asking these questions because they beg to be asked, in my opinion.

  12. #51
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Thurmont, Maryland
    Posts
    50
    Fair Questions:
    Yes I have been servicing all of the equipment mentioned for the past 5 yrs and yes I still service them on a regular basis. Actullay I have been asked on several occasions to please install it until I can Afford to replace, and within 6 months I have repaced 4 of the systems with sealant installed and at the time of replacement each of the 4 systems still had an acurate charge in them and were running fine. I never said it was the end all cure all, I just said I have had sucess with the product and I will continue to offer it when I feel it is the last resort.

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Southern MD
    Posts
    5
    The only thing I EVER use to fix a leak is my leak detector

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event