+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: HVAC/R super seal. My 1st experience

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Thumbs down HVAC/R super seal. My 1st experience

I worked on a system 2 weeks ago that had a leak. I evacuated the system and charged with nitrogen but could not find the leak. This is a 5 ton ac only system with about a 100ft line set which is not accessible for about 50ft. I had not found this website at that time and didn't know any better, so as a last ditch effort I put in a can of the HVAC/R Super sucks.

Well the system was fine for a week until yesterday when I got the call for no cooling.

I had to replace the drier today . I'm going to cut it open tomorrow and see if I can get some pictures.

I only wish I would have found this website and read some of the views about it here.

Post Likes
    Photographic evidence would be very nice.

Post Likes
    Here you go. Half of the dessicant balls dropped out in the trash, but they look just like what is shown. The end piece had all of the balls stuck to it and they fell off when I pulled it out.

Post Likes
    nice pics
    proves not to use that crap
    If con is the opposite of pro
    is congress the opposite of progress?

Post Likes
    Nice picks like iron said proves that stuff is crap.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iron View Post
    nice pics
    proves not to use that crap
    I'm done with it. I will not recommend it and will highly recommend staying away from it. I went back to the supply house to put in my formal complaint and one of the guys in there said he's used it a few times and he's lost two compressors from systems that have had this put in within a few weeks.

Let this be warning to all, that if you decide to use this, at a minimum you need to install a new drier.

This stuff reacts with Oxygen. What's in a drier, moisture? What's mositure, H2OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhh no...

Post Likes
    Thanks for posting that. Luckily I'm old school and never used it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post
    I'm done with it. I will not recommend it and will highly recommend staying away from it. I went back to the supply house to put in my formal complaint and one of the guys in there said he's used it a few times and he's lost two compressors from systems that have had this put in within a few weeks.

Let this be warning to all, that if you decide to use this, at a minimum you need to install a new drier.

This stuff reacts with Oxygen. What's in a drier, moisture? What's mositure, H2OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhh no...
    Just a guess, (I've used it twice) I'm wondering if the issue was how much O2 was in the system. I know that the first time I bought this stuff, they only had the superseal available, the second time, they had a drying agent (that I didn't purchase;()

I haven't had a call back yet, but I am expecting one soon!!

I'm in the same boat JD, I found out about this stuff from my boss, whom said another tech used it and had no problems. So far, I haven't been to that other tech's incident yet.

I tried to make sure the system was really dry and run the system immediately. I suppose if there was already moisture=water in the drier, it would coagulate like your pics. I will definitely post when these systems fail!

Post Likes

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by jdblack View Post

Seriously? So I guess when you have a paper or wood fire, you shouldn't try to put it out with water, because water is H2O...

I only used SuperSeal once, on a personal repair. I had a nice old Perlick kegerator with an R12 system. Thing was beautiful, but had a very slow leak. Could never find it, so just gave it a shot of 12 about once a year. Then, of course I was running out of 12, so I tried the stuff. That was about 5 years ago, still running. At work almost all my systems are box cars, 40 to 75 tons, no using it on those.

Post Likes
    Is that third picture a solid clump of crap?

That is as good of evidence as any.

I think that a permanent place in the wall of shame is in order, here!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

YES make it a sticky
    If con is the opposite of pro
    is congress the opposite of progress?

Post Likes
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

Quote Originally Posted by iron View Post
    YES make it a sticky
    X3 ya got my vote.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post

Yes the 3rd picture is a solid clump of crap. It was completely solid and about 3/8" thick until I had to distort it to get it out of the housing. I'd say there was a good 10°F temperature drop across the drier.

Post Likes
    10 degree drop. WOW!

I'd be curious to know what the pressure drop was.

Post Likes
    I have had no problems been using it for three years you have to follow manf. instructions when looking for leaks you always change the drier after all where do you think all the moisture and air go. Super seal reacts to these type of things.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mike robinson View Post
    I have had no problems been using it for three years you have to follow manf. instructions when looking for leaks you always change the drier after all where do you think all the moisture and air go. Super seal reacts to these type of things.
    Do you mark the system so the poor schmuck who comes along after knows to walk away before installing his gauges or recovering that stuff?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeferman View Post
    Do you mark the system so the poor schmuck who comes along after knows to walk away before installing his gauges or recovering that stuff?
    My thought's exactly!

Had a HO who is an auto mechanic ask me about it once. I told him, sure they make it for resi unit's. It's a last ditch patch that may or may not work. You want it, you buy it. Put it in yourself & don't call me when your unit dies. I don't want it in my guages or my G5. I was polite and respectfull & meant every word. He opted for a new evap coil.

Post Likes
    my dad did that to moms tahoe once, i had to pull this rubber stuff, reminded me of 100% silicone sealant that dries up in the caulking tube nozzle when you dont use it for a while, anyway had to pull this stuff out of the valve stem on a 134a, you know how its got the big valve cap, and quick fitting? obviously, it was the valve stem that was leaking, i pulled the cap off, i saw this big gob of very strong pure rubber substance, got a pick, picked it out, but like i say, it was SUPER STRONG, a small 1/16-1/8 inch column of this stiff, literally could not be torn apart.

Post Likes
    I know this is an old thread but somehow had a PM about it... if you actually read the description of how the sealer works you would have known to remove any filter driers. It activates with moisture and driers do what?? The stuff works fine when used correctly on very small leaks. At least the NuCalgon Easy seal does. If you can't take the time to remove the driers and boil out the moisture within the oil then don't use it.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Post Likes
    thanks for this post, I was looking into this stuff, It is in alot of the trade magz, and tought about it, I was looking for someone that had tried it. I am sorry that it had to be you..
    Note to self, Not to use the crap.
    Ride hard on a Harley!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in