Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

last years Boston butt

found some pics from my first smoked Boston butt..made me drool and had to share

the butt after using Good Eats over night soak and rub

in the home made smoker

after 12 Hr smoke

u can see the smoke ring

thats a first for me. a smoker made out of a pot.
    thats a dam good idea. i bet that ceramic holds the heat in.

the pig looks good too.
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

yes it does, though with the Walgreen's cooktop coil gets a work out if its windy or below 60 out. I try to keep a temp of 220

is that a pot smoker?
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    is that a pot smoker?
    Ain't no "pot smokers" around here!!!

Lotsa maple trees out your way. Get the rake out it is almost that time again.

Questions; How long does it take? How do you regulate your temperature? How do you feed fuel to the fire without losing your smoke?

Would you be comfortable with sharing the recipe for said Boston Butt? And if so, I would also be interested on how you built your big-tan-egg.

Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    Lotsa maple trees out your way. Get the rake out it is almost that time again.

Questions; How long does it take? How do you regulate your temperature? How do you feed fuel to the fire without losing your smoke?
    that butt took 12 hours...rack of ribs about 8. the heating element i have has a stat on it..just played with it to find the right setting to make heat but not set the fuel on fire http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...id=prod350527#
    unfortunately you lose your smoke when u put more fuel in...i had to changed out 4 times in a 12hr smoke
    i am going to try apple wood the next time...Alder was my first, to much of a bite i think from that

the smoker...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ka2kpzTAL8

recipe....

Brine:

* 8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
    * 12 ounces pickling salt
    * 2 quarts bottled water
    * 6 to 8 pound Boston butt
    Combine molasses, pickling salt, and water in 6 quart Lexan. Add Boston butt making sure it is completely submerged in brine, cover, and let sit in refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours. 12 hours is ideal.

Rub:

* 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
    * 1 teaspoon whole fennel seed
    * 1 teaspoon whole coriander
    * 1 tablespoon chili powder
    * 1 tablespoon onion powder
    * 1 tablespoon paprika

i have made a pickle juice and mustard sauce...anyone else have a good recipe for a light finishing sauce to drizzle on after making your sandwich?

Aw, yer killin' me...that looks soooooo good. May hafta break in my smoker with that recipe.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

oh yea i forgot to add...u grind the spices yourself..i have a coffee been grinder i use just for spices...using whole spices and grinding them right before use releases there oils.

Thanks for posting that, if I don't get blown away by a tornado tonight I am going to make one of those...it figures that it was Alton Brown with the idea. Good find.

Cool

I have an old Webber kettle why not use Alton Brown idea using the Weber? All I would is to run the cord out the bottom add a pan, wood and a hunk of meat.

i have one of these
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast