Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Johnson Controls Training

Any of you who may have attended a Johnson Controls factory class? Which classes have you taken and what is your opinion of the class?

Hugh B,

Are you asking about the HVAC classes, Pneumatics classes or DDC classes ?

I would be helpful is you could indicate what context you want info on, say from HVAC service , Facilities operations, Controls service and so on.

There are many different classes/ groups of classes so help us answer your questions by narrowing it down please.

I know you posted in "Controls" forum but that is a really big question with many answers.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

Quote Originally Posted by CCIKelly View Post
    Hugh B,

Are you asking about the HVAC classes, Pneumatics classes or DDC classes ?

I would be helpful is you could indicate what context you want info on, say from HVAC service , Facilities operations, Controls service and so on.

There are many different classes/ groups of classes so help us answer your questions by narrowing it down please.

I know you posted in "Controls" forum but that is a really big question with many answers.
    Have an entire crew of all of the above. Need to know of the quality of the controls and mechanical courses. We have everything and all the aspects of the trade in need of classes.

Does the quality of the classes vary according to which class we may be taliking about? I don't want to waste my corporation's dollars. Our firm is paying the training bills for our technicians and mechanics and we want good instruction.

Hugh B

General HVAC:
    Have had several customers go to what used to be called the "Learning Track" classes. Positive feedback. Everyone should benefit from basic controls (pneumatic) theory class.

I have been to 350,361,385,391,4700 and 4701.

If you have a DDC system the "Flavor" of the system (CPN/NCM/NAE/FX) will determine which class to consider.

(Shameless Plug) R.S.E.S is also good and you get recognized "certifications". JMO
    Last edited by Cagey57; 06-17-2009 at 05:33 PM.

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

Tech-Edge

When I was working for Johnson Controls I attended the Tech-Edge program. The training program was a mix of self-study, online modules, and courses at the various JCI training centers. I thought that learning track was a very good learning opportunity. The only complaint I heard from any of the students was they didn't have a chance to work on the equipment they just had a class on. For example, if you take a class on the DX-9100 and never touch one then you'll probably forget what you learned.
    Law Of The Thermostat: He who has the thermostat wins!!!!!

Tech Edge....the good old days.

That was a great program...got out what you put in.

I tried googling JCI's tech edge program and the main results sent me back to this forum. I currently have running JCI's Metasys program with a variety of controllers, DX 9100's and some LCP's. I was also wondering the best place to find some training on these systems and prices. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Try this link

Yeah, the Johnson Controls Institute, that is what I am asking about. Are those classes and instructors worth the costs? Are those classes any good? Were you satisfied with the instruction?

Classes

I agree with mackinaw, you get out of the classes what you put in them. So to answer your question, I thought the training was excellent. Most of the time when a technician has problems working on equipment it's due to not having the basics.

1. Electrical - electrical fundamentals such as ohms law, wiring diagrams, relays, motor and motor starters, and electrical troubleshooting steps.

2. Controls - types such as 2 position, timed 2 position, proportional, incremental, proportional band, deadband etc...

3. Air properties - psychrometrics, air flow characteristics, etc...

4. Systems - variable air volume, constant volume, single duct, dual duct etc..

I appreciate your opinions, thanks. Just interested in knowing if the instructional quality is worth the cost.

If over the course of a career you save 20 hours because of the tips, tricks, and rules learned in the courses - then definitely yes. The JCI instructors I've seen have been
    top notch often staying after classes far into the afternoons, early evenings to answer questions. Additionally, the hands on offered by the JCI Inst classes gives you instant feedback. Bring a project with you and work it out while you're there - no problem. You're likely to bring back a few phone numbers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    Yeah, the Johnson Controls Institute, that is what I am asking about. Are those classes and instructors worth the costs? Are those classes any good? Were you satisfied with the instruction?
    Without question Yes, very satisfied ! You get your money's worth.

Every class I have taken has been Top Notch when it comes to the Instructors. All but 1 were former field personnel in either the Controls or mechanical service sectors, very knowledgeable, very friendly and Very invested in the trainig they were doing. Keep in mind ALL of the classes I attended were DDC controls related. Everyone I know that has taken other classes has been please with the experience.

I don't really want to plug JCI but their training is good !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast