Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trane Unit not staging

Its a Trane unit #YCD120C3LFA

never had one like this. first comp runs fine along with fan etc...
    2nd stage wont start up. I replaced the Control board with a new one.
    It will stage correctly when i jump it out in test mode

i was told the board controls the staging and the differential could be set on the board but it has not dip switches/jumpers on it

the low pressure switch is closed and does have adequate pressure in the lines, thats the only safety this thing has

it is wired into a trane tracker managment system, although ive never messed with one, i was told it shouldn't have anything to do with the unit staging, as it does come on with a call for cool

Quote Originally Posted by marter View Post
    Its a Trane unit #YCD120C3LFA

never had one like this. first comp runs fine along with fan etc...
    2nd stage wont start up. I replaced the Control board with a new one.
    It will stage correctly when i jump it out in test mode

i was told the board controls the staging and the differential could be set on the board but it has not dip switches/jumpers on it

the low pressure switch is closed and does have adequate pressure in the lines, thats the only safety this thing has

it is wired into a trane tracker managment system, although ive never messed with one, i was told it shouldn't have anything to do with the unit staging, as it does come on with a call for cool
    Do you have an economizer? If no, then did you have 24v at J8-3 and J8-4

Are you getting control voltage to y2?

Besides test mode, have you tried jumping y1 and y2?

I believe the Voyager units decide when to run the 2nd stage cooling based on supply air temperature, if supply temp can be maintained with stage 1, stage 2 never comes on.
    Anything I say here is only my opinion. Even if you understood what I said.... What I said may not even be what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    Do you have an economizer? If no, then did you have 24v at J8-3 and J8-4
    humm didnt think about that. i did check the outside air sensor and it showed the resistance it was supposed to. as i dont know much about trane (mostly all carrier for me) i didn't check those.. i dont really understand the stat inferface on this as there is the simple r,w,y1,y2 etc.

why does trane have to be different

humm didnt think about that. i did check the outside air sensor and it showed the resistance it was supposed to. as i dont know much about trane (mostly all carrier for me) i didn't check those.. i dont really understand the stat inferface on this as there is the simple r,w,y1,y2 etc.

why does trane have to be different
    So you have a conventional Thermostat interface? I wouldn't think so with a Tracker.

So you have a conventional Thermostat interface? I wouldn't think so with a Tracker.
    no cti board
    even still if someone got some lit. on how trane stats works id love to read it

no cti board
    even still if someone got some lit. on how trane stats works id love to read it
    You need to get you hands on "The Voyager Continues", aka the Black book. I know some of you guys have a link?

With a Tracker system you have a comm interface. That is your "stat", I guess. It communicates with the Tracker system to get set point and temperature. The UCP with stage according that input.

It might be that the setpoint and temperature are close. That is why 2nd stage isn't coming on. You could go and lower the setpoint on the Tracker. After 3 minutes, 2nd stage should call.

Best way to see if the UCP is calling for 2nd stage is 24v from J8-3 and J8-4.

Here is one source for the mentioned manual
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/7038394/Tr...ontrols-Manual
    Anything I say here is only my opinion. Even if you understood what I said.... What I said may not even be what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckHVAC View Post
    Here is one source for the mentioned manual
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/7038394/Tr...ontrols-Manual
    lol cliffnotes please

You need to get you hands on "The Voyager Continues", aka the Black book. I know some of you guys have a link?

With a Tracker system you have a comm interface. That is your "stat", I guess. It communicates with the Tracker system to get set point and temperature. The UCP with stage according that input.

It might be that the setpoint and temperature are close. That is why 2nd stage isn't coming on. You could go and lower the setpoint on the Tracker. After 3 minutes, 2nd stage should call.

Best way to see if the UCP is calling for 2nd stage is 24v from J8-3 and J8-4.
    setpoint is 74 and the room temp is 85 to 87. its a restaurent kicken area so one stage will never come close to satisfying

setpoint is 74 and the room temp is 85 to 87. its a restaurent kicken area so one stage will never come close to satisfying
    So you should be calling for 2nd stage. Check the terminals I said to see if the UCP is calling for 2nd stage. Also give it time, it may take up to 6 minutes.

So you should be calling for 2nd stage. Check the terminals I said to see if the UCP is calling for 2nd stage. Also give it time, it may take up to 6 minutes.
    will do in the morn.

thanks for the help guys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast