Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can I disable emergency heat on my Geo?

I have a 5 ton Climatemaster Tranquility 27 hooked to a Honeywell VisionPro TH8000 (TH8320U) thermostat that heats and holds my house temp just fine. If I use the programmable features and lower my temp at night, can I prevent the EM heat frin coming on in the morning? I don't mind waiting on the longer recovery time of the geo. I just hate sending more to the utility company than I have to. Would changing to system type in the thermostat to 2 heat/2cool heat pump (no aux. heat) trick it into leaving my EM heat off? I don't have the remote outside temp. Thanks!

aux heat disable

we install a toggle switch on the side of the climatemaster unit to disable the backup heat install between the W1 on the unit and aux. wire from the thermostat leave off to disable back up heat.

See you are in PA, so you may need emergency heat when it is -40 F(or C); otherwise, I'd advise you to have your tech disconnect it!.

Seldom gets below 20F here, my own emergency heat is disconnected. You may have a separate circuit breaker for your emergency heat. I'd turn it off until it gets to near zero F if you have GSHP or WSHP, or unless you are in an uninsulated house.

The breaker for my strip heat also power the blower and electronics. I have been thinkin of the switch Idea. I would think that the Tranquility 27 is advanced enough, like my envision, that if a compressor lockout condition occurs it will activate the strip heat regardless of the state of the W input. My W wire is disconnected also.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-26-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Removed DIY instructions

If you have the Vision Pro 8000 I would recommend having the outdoor temperature sensor installed and set to lock out the emergency heat until it reaches a certain outdoor temperature. Seems to be the easiest way to control it. Unless you don't mind turning a switch on and off whenever you do need it. Those sensors are accurate too, as long as it doesn't get direct sunlight or wind blowing on it. I look at my stat every morning before work to determine how many clothes to put on. Just my two cents, but I don't have a geothermal system either. Although I wish I did, but I just don't have the land to do it. Good luck with your system.

I rewired my Air to Air so the Strip heat won't come on, even in defrost, till the basement drops to 55 F or the outside air drops to 10 F. Used a couple salvaged remote sensor stats. If emergency heat is switched at the stat, the strip heat will work normally. Wouldn't recommend a toggle switch, lets say you are on vacation and something happens. Wouldn't want to come back to burst pipes, flooded house.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Just the info I needed. I wish all of you a great new year!

Just found out my waterfurnace has a dip switch to disable aux strip heat. According to the manual full "emergency heat" is still available when "aux" heat is disabled.

the other option is not to use set backs at night. I tried set backs one January and none the next Feburary. January had less heating degree days than Feb but my Feb bill was siginificantly lower than my Jan bill. If your heatpump can maintain temp at low stage then it is better to let it run continously on low instead of using full capacity and possibly strip heat to recover in the morning.

The Flordia energy commision (or council) actually recomends not using set backs on a heat pump system as it does not save but rather waste energy.

Frown

I've been told/read that aux heat shouldn't really come on unless there is at least a 4 degree difference between current temp and set temp, is that true?

I do a one degree step down at night (from 69 to 68) and I keep waking up to Aux Heat being on. The current temp and the set temp are both at 69 but Aux Heat is running.

If I turn the thermostat to OFF, then back to heat, it seems like the system resets and its 69/69 and off. Temp drops a bit and then regular geo heat comes on, system working normally at that point.

Any tips on what could be the issue? The thermostat? thermistors? My HVAC guy is stumped and by the time he gets over here, system is running normally.

The system is a ClimateMaster Tranqulity 27 2 stage earthpure 3 ton model TTVO38AGC01ALKS. It shares the loop field with a split unit 2 ton for upstairs, TTS026AGC00CNNS.

Thermostat

What make and model number is your t-stat?

Bergy

Its a Honeywell VisionPro TH8000 series, model TH8320U1008.

Honeywell set-up

JoeGen,

Honeywell's stat is a bit of as mystery, no one seems to know exactly how it's logic works for 1 st, 2nd and 3rd stage heat. We have seen many of them running aux heat while the set point and room temp is the SAME. After many "chats" with Honeywell and Enertech, our heat pump mfg., the following thermostat settings seem to work the best.

#160 schedule options... Set this to "0" nonprogrammable

#220 1st stage compressor... Set this to "1" CPH

#230 2nd stage compressor... Set this to "1" CPH

#260 Aux heat... Set this to "9" CPH

#270 Emergency heat... Set this to "9" CPH

#680 Temperature control in heat... Set this to "1" Least aggressive
    The least aggressive setting will allow the heat pump to run longer before aux heat is engaged.

If you are not comfortable making these changes, have your installer reprogram the stat.

Bergy

You won't like that 9 setting on the aux or emergency heat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast