Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Porter & Chester GRAD Looking for Apprenticeship Opportunity in Connecticut

I have been trying for several months now to find an opportunity for a full-time or part-time position as a service technician at an apprenticeship level. I am a mature, responsible and hard-working individual who is very eager to “learn and grow” in the heating and cooling industry. I’m a recent (4.0 GPA) graduate of the HVAC-R program at Porter & Chester Institute with over 20 years of previous working in the amusement industry.

I have completed the one-year HVAC-R program at Porter & Chester Institute where I learned the basics of gas and oil heat, air conditioning and refrigeration. I have my EPA Universal certificate as well.

If anyone knows of an opening, please let me know as I am very eager to get into a position with a company.

I live in Milford, CT.

Thanks,

Eric

Hey, I am also a Porter and Chester grad from the Westboro, Ma campus. I've been looking for work in Ma for the last 6 months and it is brutal up here in Ma. Dudes dont like to call you back Check jobhunt.com. How is the placement or should I say assistance program down there? They give you any leads?

Quote Originally Posted by EBNewbie09 View Post
    I have been trying for several months now to find an opportunity for a full-time or part-time position as a service technician at an apprenticeship level. I am a mature, responsible and hard-working individual who is very eager to “learn and grow” in the heating and cooling industry. I’m a recent (4.0 GPA) graduate of the HVAC-R program at Porter & Chester Institute with over 20 years of previous working in the amusement industry.

I have completed the one-year HVAC-R program at Porter & Chester Institute where I learned the basics of gas and oil heat, air conditioning and refrigeration. I have my EPA Universal certificate as well.

If anyone knows of an opening, please let me know as I am very eager to get into a position with a company.

I live in Milford, CT.

Thanks,

Eric
    I would send out your resume to as many companies as you can. I just hired an apprentice a couple of weeks ago and that's what he did. His resume hit my desk at just the right time. Hang in there. The job market is pretty rough right now in CT. If you want, email your resume to me and I'll keep it on file.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
    I would send out your resume to as many companies as you can. I just hired an apprentice a couple of weeks ago and that's what he did. His resume hit my desk at just the right time. Hang in there. The job market is pretty rough right now in CT. If you want, email your resume to me and I'll keep it on file.
    So Reaper owners like you actually keep resumes when you get them? And also actually remember you have them when you need them? I was just wondering what is the avg that you hold on to a resume? Also do you return phone calls if someone calls you a couple of times in a week?

If the resume looks good, yes I'll keep it on file. I usually hold resume's for about a year. Spelling is a huge thing with me. If there are spelling errors, it shows me that that person isn't detail oriented. A resume with simple errors almost always hits the trash can. If somebody calls about a job, I always make it a point to talk to them. If he/she has a good attitude and is pleasant to talk to, they move to the top of the list come hiring time.

Thanks for the info Reaper. I'm glad to see that you hold on to those resumes as well as call people back if they call you (that is my big pet peeve). Maybe you could give lessons to some of the owners here in Mass. A few that I have called could use some lessons.

Leads from Porter & Chester Stratford (MAIN) Campus

Quote Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
    Hey, I am also a Porter and Chester grad from the Westboro, Ma campus. I've been looking for work in Ma for the last 6 months and it is brutal up here in Ma. Dudes dont like to call you back Check jobhunt.com. How is the placement or should I say assistance program down there? They give you any leads?
    I attended the Porter & Chester Inst. Stratford,CT (MAIN) campus . Well, I graduated in April 2009. About two weeks before the "graduation" I met with (the then) one & only placement co-ordinator this "campus" has. This was with graduates from ALL the courses offered...Her attitude towards us (male type career grads) was pretty un-professional to me. She bascially paid more attention to the females (women type career grads)...She flat-out told all us males that there are basically NO JOBS availiable in your fields!

My campus gave me two leads...both were DEAD END leads! One lead was given to me the evening of my graduation ceremony! They built me up SO much that night about one of their "PAC" meeting members of the school looking to hire a new employee. And that person was given my name through the school placement co-ordinator and my instructor..The owner of this "company" contacted me through email then phone calls...We would set-up to meet and just before our meeting he would call me and cancel (everytime) giving me an excuse everytime..It was all a bunch of B.S. I became REALLY PISSED-OFF OVER ALL OF WHAT HAPPENED! I am only giving the highlights. I just cannot type everything verbatim...

To anyone that reads this and is looking to go to Porter & Chester Institute (any campus) Unless you already have a HVAC job (and looking for further education)-by all means attend the school if you wish...If you do not have a HVAC job while attending and hope to get one at the end of/through the school GOOD LUCK! I feel very few people get jobs from these's schools They have grads in all courses every twelve weeks! How can they fill constantly fill these positions that often...They jerk-job you around about getting work. As well as take your money-(It's a money mill) they got my 25K that I have to pay back and NO job. Well, I found that the HVAC (morning) course in Stratford wasn't all that great..I cannot speak for the other courses that any other Porter & Chester offers. I will bet its no different than there HVAC course. I am trying to make a career change from the Coin-Op tech industry to the HVAC industry-WITH NO LUCK AT ALL!It looks like I am sticking to coin-op for now if not forever...For I do not see this guy (me) ever getting a job in this field..Here ya' go "Fallguy" I could ad much more to this story but how much can one person type! Enough Rant. Hopefully you will have better luck than I am having!-GOOD LUCK

I do not know your ability to troubleshoot electrical, but feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I am in Derby and I may be looking very soon if you think you can fix refrigeration and hvac equipment.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Hey Eric
    Sorry to hear you had a bad exprience at P&C. I also went there without any HVAC exprience. I went at night because at the time I was working. I thought it was good. I like the fact that they had units there you could work on about 2 1/2 hrs a night after taking some notes. I only wish I could find a job sooner rather than later (when I have to start paying back my loans). Our placement guy has given me a couple of calls. Just to check in.
    I hope you are not just waiting for leads from them though. You should look a some companies in your area and drop by your resume to out yourself out there. Good luck buddy

reply to possible job offer to Freezeking2000

Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    I do not know your ability to troubleshoot electrical, but feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I am in Derby and I may be looking very soon if you think you can fix refrigeration and hvac equipment.
    Hi,

I thank you for replying about my quote about P&C...I apologize for such a long post...But, in a nut shell "Its how I feel"...The school teaches you "the basics" as they so often put it thoughout my time their. Once you leave the school its up to you and the company you end up working for to take it from there. I came to P&C having a electrical background already (though it is coin-op industry related) in the hopes of what I know from that field and adapting it to HAVC. So yes, I feel I have a good working knowledge of t-shooting electrical issues. I can (and already have the ability to follow and read schematics). I already know how to use a multi-meter. On the mechanical side, I have what the school taught me. But feel I can even get more "working out in the field"....I would look to be hired on a apprentice level. Until I get "comfortable"

Though I have gone on a few "walk-in" job hunts at some companies in my area to no availe. My wife & I have sent out (mailed) atleast 50 cover letters/resumes since just before my graduation up to recently... With NO luck at all...In fact, your company was one of the 50. Letter to your company went out 05/04 (We have kept a running list of ALL places we've mailed too.)

I will gladly email or mail again same..If and when you would like to meet with me and discuss more feel free to contact me and we can go from there! Have NO problem comimg out to your location to meet in person! I live in MIlford.

Thank You!
    ERIC B.
    Last edited by EBNewbie09; 06-15-2009 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Forgot a thought I wanted to add (experience)

Reply to FALLGUY last post

Quote Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
    Hey Eric
    Sorry to hear you had a bad exprience at P&C. I also went there without any HVAC exprience. I went at night because at the time I was working. I thought it was good. I like the fact that they had units there you could work on about 2 1/2 hrs a night after taking some notes. I only wish I could find a job sooner rather than later (when I have to start paying back my loans). Our placement guy has given me a couple of calls. Just to check in.
    I hope you are not just waiting for leads from them though. You should look a some companies in your area and drop by your resume to out yourself out there. Good luck buddy
    Hey Fallguy,

My placement c/o has given me a couple of calls in the past. Though, have not heard from him since stopping in to see him in person MAY 18th. I was in the area and went there mainly to attempt pick-up my corrected Diploma (which my name was mis-spelled by the way) It was there, and the school never contacted me to tell me it was ready to be picked up...AGAIN, SO VERY UN-PROFESSIONAL! When I began this course on orientation day the "main director" of the school campus says and I quote: "We are hear to help you succeed, we are not hear to help you fail" Haven't seen them live up to this quote yet! It's all just show business....

Anyway, The answer to your final sentence. Already done this: Though I have gone on a few "walk-in" job hunts at some companies in my area to no availe. My wife & I have sent out (mailed) atleast 50 cover letters/resumes to companies in a good 50 mile radius-since just before my graduation up to recently... With NO luck at all...(We have kept a running list of ALL places we've mailed too.)

Update to freezerking2000 about possible job offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    As of this writing, just did an online application on your website. And, I am sending via regular mail my cover letter/resume for your viewing. Please keep a lookout for it...Just want to let you know.

Thank you,
    Eric B.

I went to the Branford location and was EXTREMELY lucky to get a job 1 week after graduation.

I did graduate top in the class and the school did help. Just in the right place a right time. Local company called looking for an apprentice, I was picked, got the job, and still working for them.

Porter and Chester's job placement is pretty poor otherwise. No one else I graduated with has found a job yet, I know many people who went there for Electrical and they too have had a hard time.

I was lucky but unfortunately I wouldn't even rely on the school to find you a job, better off looking yourself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast