Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exhuast Fan Sizing

Here's one for the experts.

Working on an exhaust fan this week, down draft, ban motor & fan. Grainger the only one around that handles anything for them but without model & serial numbers not much help.

Motor is 1/3 HP running at 1725 RPM
    Fan is 11" across & 4 7/8" high with 12 blades.

Any Suggestions on getting this replaced. Not sure how to size.

Do you need to replace the whole fan or just motor and/or bearings?

Probably the whole thing, fan seized on the motor shaft, busted the hub trying to get it off. No one has just the fan.

To add a little more fun to it, when the roof was re-roofed several years ago they rubber roofed right up and over the base of the exhaust fan.

I also found this one earlier.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...=32&submit.y=8

Just not sure about them.

Your posting in the cooking equipment section. Im going to assume that this fan is for a hood of some sort. If it is then if you can find the mfg of the hood and model/serial they can help you out.
    If this is for venting a cooking area you are going to need to use the upblast model. The downblast will fill up with grease and you will not be a happy camper scraping that crap out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Harper View Post
    Your posting in the cooking equipment section. Im going to assume that this fan is for a hood of some sort. If it is then if you can find the mfg of the hood and model/serial they can help you out.
    If this is for venting a cooking area you are going to need to use the upblast model. The downblast will fill up with grease and you will not be a happy camper scraping that crap out of there.
    It is for a hood over a grill & fryers. It has a downblast fan on it and I cleaned a 5 gallon bucket of grease out of it before they opened for the season.

And yes I was not a happy camper!

If your under the IMC code it normally requires an upblast UL 762 fan with hinge kit and grease receptor. Could possibly use a utility type with the exhaust directed away from the roof so accumulation of grease doesn't happen on the roof. Check your code that your under for the complete answer
    Vern P: 2003 MBC,MRC,IFGC,IFC
    An HVAC-Talk Michigan Chapter Mechanical Inspector, Jurisdiction-Ann Arbor

Thumbs up

Like he said, and call the hood mfg and ask the tec support to size you a new EF. Failing that get the size of the hood, type of equipment under it, and M and S of any MAU, and take this info to your supply house and ask the in house HVAC engineer. Be sure that you check with the inspector befor you go touching any duct, cause most cases as soon as you touch that hood to make any type of modification, all bets are off, and you have to bring the whole thing up to code. Don't take chances, one grease fire and the place will go up and they will be asking "Who worked on this last, and how much can we get out of his insurance!"
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Most guys just measure the bottom mounting flange and go from there. Good to see you are not like most guys. Sizing a fan is kind of tricky. because as stated above, there are several criteria to consider. First, is there a sticker and or UL /ETL listing on the hood with the manufacturer. if so, contact them. I doubt it since they have a down blast fan. Which means, according to the IMC, you need to calculate 25 cfm per sf of hood size to comply. Also consider the length of duct run and how many turns are in it. Long run means bigger fan. more turns means bigger fan.
    Also, check to make sure your electrical supply isn't compromised. If you had that much grease by the fan, I can only imagine what the duct looks like. If you are doing this as a job. Document everything on invoice and have it signed. Exhaust fires are a big issue now and getting even worse.
    Use vent direct over grainger, Better fans and less money. They are the sister company to captive aire. Good quality stuff

Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.

gratuit pour mobile sonnerie portable mp3 - Sonnerie portable MP3 est en effet un pouvoir de l'innovation technologique. Κtes-vous familier avec cette sonnerie portable?gratuit pour mobile sonnerie portable mp3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast